U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 PM

117 posts, read 479,730 times

Advertisements

Madison= 30 square miles surrounded by reality
Lexington KY= 275 square miles surrounded by reality
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 02:36 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,730,928 times
What people need to understand is that Madison is not the liberal mecca everyone likes to sell. This is false advertising if anything. It's a small college town with liberal pockets but the vast majority of Wisconsis is blue collar, right wing conservative. The majority is caucasian 80% and there is a strong lack of culture and ethnic diversity. Don't get me wrong this is a nice little town with plenty of things to do, I'm just saying please keep it perspective as it's not Utopia.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:44 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
What people need to understand is that Madison is not the liberal mecca everyone likes to sell. This is false advertising if anything. It's a small college town with liberal pockets but the vast majority of Wisconsis is blue collar, right wing conservative. The majority is caucasian 80% and there is a strong lack of culture and ethnic diversity. Don't get me wrong this is a nice little town with plenty of things to do, I'm just saying please keep it perspective as it's not Utopia.
A strong Lack Of Culture, you say. Really. Do you live there, have you been there? I STRONGLY disagree with your statement. And Right Wing Conservatism strong in Madison? I Think not. You must be confusing Madison with Appleton, Wi. That would be the hard core right wing conservative, lack of culture and ethnic diversity place you speak of. Right?? Appleton, NOT Madison!!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Hey, Flint and Youngstown are on the phone. They want the "AmericanUrbanite Seal of Approval." They're everything that Ann Arbor and Madison are not, so I figured you love them and I made the calls.
I'M LOVIN IT!!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,281,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
I don't know, that sounds like utopia to me. The more snobby PRIUS types you add, the worse living gets past the certain threshold. I don't know the threshold, but you need a certain number of liberals in the society to support upscale civic life. If you have all wealthy people, you'll have an unaffordable environment where people are snobby about WHICH private school their 'child prodigy' attends. If you have ALL blue collar types, you'll have all bowling alleys and no operas.

Madison is a very good mix of liberal and conservative, upscale and white bread. It's not in either extreme.

The weather on the plain can be extreme: cold winters, hot summers. Some people like it, other people are Californians.

Ann Arbor's tagline was "six square miles surrounded by reality." Only the area around the university, and a few neighborhoods, are really all that upscale. Stadium Drive, and the southeast side of town, are only notable because they would be ghetto in other cities in Michigan.

Michigan is however many square miles surrounded by 49 states with living economies.

Champaign-Urbana, Illinois: A few square miles surrounded by corn, with a George Will, Roger Ebert, and REO Speedwagon heart at the center. The Wal-Marts, the Walgreenses, and Merry Ann's Diner (two locations!), are open 24 hours. Yep, it's that exciting and trendy! ... don't tell anyone about all the construction, they want to be the NEXT Madison down here.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:59 AM

253 posts, read 1,504,956 times
I'll advocate Lawrence Kan., as an adequate replacement to Madison, perhaps? Winters are still bitter, but not as long (December to mid-March).

Old 06-20-2007, 02:14 AM

92 posts, read 462,467 times
Lexington, Kentucky really is worth some study.

Much more mild climate, similar size, similar distance to larger cities, beautiful topography (different than Madison, but beautiful in a different way), similar liberal-ish vibe, plenty to do.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,853 times
Boulder, Colorado is really great if it's the young liberal feel that you like. I know what you mean with the weather:

[url=http://zrdavis.com]The Good Badger - The Zach of All Trades[/url]

Complaining about it occupies way too much of my time.

Moderator Note:
Posts above this one are from 2007.

Last edited by Bo; 12-17-2008 at 10:46 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Maybe Berkeley CA, Raleigh NC, Phoenix/Tempe AZ, Austin TX(definately can see that) and Nashville TN.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Nashville has it's merits but it is not a liberal bastion. One of the biggest industries is Bible publishing, for crying out loud. There are liberal pockets, like you find in most medium large cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or