U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 AM

792 posts, read 2,905,137 times

Advertisements

Spend 10 minutes in most any town in Westchester County outside NY city and there you will find your answer. "Pretentious" doesn't even begin to describe the vast number of miserable people who make up quite a bit of the population. "Miserable" being the operative word here and why at times it can be quite entertaining. The stuff you will hear people whine and moan about is comical. And anyone who doubts money can't buy happiness, spend a day or two there, and you will have a change of heart!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,607,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Dallas: Big hair, big cars, big egos
You must mean the Park Cities and the northern suburbs. Not the 'real Dallas' where I grew up...

Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,297,519 times
Quote:
You must mean the Park Cities and the northern suburbs.
I met quite a few people that lived in the Park Cities when I was in the Big D for business and they are all much more down-to-earth than many make them out to be. The one city that people always seem to try and out-do each other is in Plano. Many people that live there seem to want to impress others around them by flaunting their wealth (or lack thereof) while many in the Park Cities feel no need to show off their money because everyone knows they probably have a ton anyway. People in the Park Cities seem to be one of the classier groups in Dallas without flaunting what they have.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:04 PM

74 posts, read 344,307 times
MattDen,

You are constantly degrading Fargo/Moorhead on all boards, and I think you are pretty entertaining yourself. Apparently you have no idea what the downtown area went through in the early 1970's, to almost lose it all, and then come back to what it is now . Give me a break. You must have really gotten a bad dose of the Crystal Sugar plant aroma when you lived there

Old 06-20-2007, 08:39 AM

442 posts, read 1,941,561 times
Mississippi! You guys haven't experienced "stuck up" until you have been to MS. When you meet people for the first time, they immediately ask where you live because where you live determines (they think) how much money you make. If you live in the Jackson area and live in Pearl, then you are automatically a redneck. However, if you live in Madison, then you have money and are intelligent. It's stupid! No one ever lets you forget your social standing either. Where I work, people are not allowed to associate or socialize "up the ladder". In other words, I can never have lunch with my boss, a department manager, etc. I can only associate with those of my rank standing or below. If you approach a table at lunch where people "above you" are sitting, they will avoid eye contact and give you a cold shoulder. Now, this is not one of those unwritten rules of conduct. The day I was hired all of this was explained to me by my boss how employees are to only associate with those on their own level or below. Oh, and they also forbid outside contact with other employees. We are not allowed to attend co-worker weddings, baby showers, etc. I could go on, and on, and on.... talk about entertaining!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:40 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,882,588 times
SashaBlue

Wow....If that is true about MS, then I would never go there. Whatever happened to their "southern hospitality"?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:48 AM

DCNative, if you should live in DC you are the luckiest person in the world. I love DC and my husband and I would move there in a nano-second if we could afford housing. It's our favorite city in the world.

MS is unreal! Oh, and this is funny, too... cell phones! For some reason people in the Jackson area think they are impressing people by talking on a cell phone. You cannot go anywhere, and I mean anywhere (yes, church included) where people are not on a cell phone. And, this is soooo funny, they stand or sit where they can be observed on the cell phone. Most people will discretely step to the side to make or take a call. Not here in Jackson! They want to be seen so they can prove how important they are by talking on a cell phone. LOL!!!!! Go, DC! You are sooooo lucky!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,882,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
DCNative, if you should live in DC you are the luckiest person in the world. I love DC and my husband and I would move there in a nano-second if we could afford housing. It's our favorite city in the world.

MS is unreal! Oh, and this is funny, too... cell phones! For some reason people in the Jackson area think they are impressing people by talking on a cell phone. You cannot go anywhere, and I mean anywhere (yes, church included) where people are not on a cell phone. And, this is soooo funny, they stand or sit where they can be observed on the cell phone. Most people will discretely step to the side to make or take a call. Not here in Jackson! They want to be seen so they can prove how important they are by talking on a cell phone. LOL!!!!! Go, DC! You are sooooo lucky!
Uh... heheh

I don't know what to say, LOL

I've been trying to haul my butt OUT of here since the beginning of this year. I grew up here and am still here, so this is really the only city that I know inside and out. I haven't seen myself as a lucky person just because I live in DC. There are tons of self-important and self-absorbed people here, too. What do you love about DC?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:46 AM

So many things to love about DC.

1. Phenomenal restaurants! LOL... the best MS catfish I have ever eaten was in DC. I love the restaurants on the waterfront at Georgetown, especially Sequoia. I wish Scholl's was still around -- the best southern cooking ever! Gotta love Red Sage, and oh my, let's not forget Old Ebbitt Grill.

2. Free stuff to do! No cover charge to visit parks and museums.

3. Easy transportation. Who needs a car when you've got Metro.

4. The zoo! The pandas!

5. Friendly people who do not mind helping tourists find their way.

6. Diverse culture

7. Wheather - snow, but not too much... rain, but not too much, and 4 distinct seasons

8. Short drive to mountains or beach... whichever you prefer

I could go on, and on....

Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM

792 posts, read 2,905,137 times
Not sure if I agree with #5. But I can confidently say #3 and #8, you are in for a nasty surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or