Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM

673 posts, read 4,060,610 times

Advertisements

What cities are stuck-up that some-times you just have to giggle and laugh about it.

Fargo, North Dakota and Lincoln, Nebraska are so stuck-up in my opinion its hillarious.

Especially Fargo they think their town is so very hip and like to show off when ever they can. I have no idea what they are showing off? Downtown Fargo which has got to be one of the most boring unstimulating downtowns I have been in and unmotivating and demoralizing also has all these stuck-up North Dakotans who when I was there parked there cars in mud and snow banks and dressed in their "trendy" fashions and go to the bars and basically talk about how great they are. Almost everyone in Fargo when ever they talk its like an infomercial for themselves. Even compared to larger cities, they would have a hard time winning over Fargo or North Dakota on the arrogance award.

Also, Lincoln is close. I love going to downtown they have a decent nightlife in volume of people for a small population and hearing alot these women with 3+ babies trying to find men. They are so upfront around here about all these babies they have and think just because they percieve themselves as good-looking they can find a man. Just sad and laughable at the same time. Another, thing about Lincoln is alot of these rural people who come here for university love to dress up to go everywhere even to shop in the middle of the night, its just bizzare and silly. I know a few weeks ago I had a cold and needed some orange juice early on a weekday morning and the store had couples with the women dressed up like it was some formal ceremony going on just bizzare.

I just cant help but have a big laughing fit whenever I see these people in old cars with bad mufflers and the women is dressed like a celebrity and the guy is trying to act like a yuppie. Never mind the muffler that causes me hearing problems when I take my run just as they can buy that 30 dollar polo with the popped up collar is all that matters. Oh, so fake this town is!

I also think its funny when Lincolnites and Fargoans with their high vacancy, rather unstimulatingly uninteresting and behind the times downtowns give people looks when they come to their precious small town downtowns all dressed up!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,565,147 times
WHAAAT?? Fargo is stuck up cuz they think they are so hip?? Lincoln Nebraska???

Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,880,013 times
Lincoln, Nebraska sounds like a real hip big city. We don't need New York when we have Lincoln!!!

... one of my best buddies is from Lincoln, and I used to work with suppliers out of there. It's probably nicer than Omaha.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Lincoln, Nebraska sounds like a real hip big city. We don't need New York when we have Lincoln!!!

... one of my best buddies is from Lincoln, and I used to work with suppliers out of there. It's probably nicer than Omaha.
Omaha is "the city". Really. It is a city like all others, with urban problems and urban advantages. I haven't spent much time in Lincoln, but it seems to me it's mainly a college town full of Husker fans.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,780,385 times
Richmond, Virginia....

Old ladies wear hats and gloves and people talk about "The Country Club" and who's related to whom, and my great great grandaddy was friends with General Lee and so on.

Everyone wants to live out on "rivah" road, and have a membership to The Country Club of Virginia.

People talk about their "new neighbors"- the ones that have lived next door for 40 years.

And there's always a chance you might run into someone at the museum who says that if you touch anything you will be horse whipped.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,348,084 times
Chicago and New York are pretty stuck-up IMO. They compare every city to their city and then point out all the things your city doesn't have and how it makes their city better without taking into account how uncommon cities like their's are. Well...at least the people I've met in person...I'm not stereotyping, just speaking from experience and I'm sure there are plenty of Chicagoans who don't do this. It really seems like Chicagoans like to pick on people from Milwaukee and St. Louis in particular. Oh....to be the biggest house in the neighborhood

Old 06-18-2007, 09:44 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,880,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Omaha is "the city". Really. It is a city like all others, with urban problems and urban advantages. I haven't spent much time in Lincoln, but it seems to me it's mainly a college town full of Husker fans.
That's why Illinois needs to keep Chief Illiniwek, as Nebraska has a monopoly on mascots that ... husk corn.

My bias in favor of university-oriented cities is well known on these forums, but I have to mention that many of them (except Madison) fall somewhat short of being large enough to satisfy all desires. If I was at UNL, I would likely leave Lincoln relatively often to enjoy shopping/dining options in Omaha.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:01 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,640,281 times
Quote:
Also, Lincoln is close. I love going to downtown they have a decent nightlife in volume of people for a small population and hearing alot these women with 3+ babies trying to find men. They are so upfront around here about all these babies they have and think just because they percieve themselves as good-looking they can find a man. Just sad and laughable at the same time. Another, thing about Lincoln is alot of these rural people who come here for university love to dress up to go everywhere even to shop in the middle of the night, its just bizzare and silly. I know a few weeks ago I had a cold and needed some orange juice early on a weekday morning and the store had couples with the women dressed up like it was some formal ceremony going on just bizzare
I don't think Lincoln is stuck up, it seems like a nice town filled with husker fans. The few times I've been there, the people I met were very down-to-earth and nobody seemed to want to out-do everyone else.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:10 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,224,662 times
Washington, DC.

People talk about how much top dollar they make, how they're saving the world with their all-important jobs, and that they're going to a black-tie party tonight and will possibly meet the Senator from Indiana.

And then they rush to catch a metro train and dive through the closing doors as if there's going to be an explosion behind them, when there's always another train on the way and would arrive in less than 2 minutes.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:34 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,264,168 times
Dallas: Big hair, big cars, big egos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.