Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultAlias View Post
As for the original question, I'm going to have to say Columbus and Indianapolis. And this is coming from someone who has lived in both cities.

ditto - while I never lived in either - I've spent months in both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 05:12 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultAlias View Post
As for the original question, I'm going to have to say Columbus and Indianapolis. And this is coming from someone who has lived in both cities.
I agree, very good choices Default. I've driven from St. Louis to Cleveland many times, and obviously if you're smart and avoid Chicago and the I-80/I-90 turnpike you'll take I-70 eastward to Indianapolis and then to Columbus, where you grab I-71 north to head to Cleveland. The drive from Indianapolis to Columbus is 163 miles of boring stuff. Honestly it feels you are driving around in a circle. Indy and Columbus both have similar downtowns in appearance, similar sizes, however there are two key differences between the cities I have to point out. First off, politically Columbus is liberal, compared to Indy, which is conservative. Second off, Columbus is located on hilly terrain. In Indy, the terrain is very flat. Other than not, not much difference. The interstate highway system is quite similar. Two interstates merge together downtown in each state (I-70 and I-65 in Indy, I-70 and I-71 in Columbus)...both have a complete beltway around them (I-465 for Indy, I-270 for Columbus). St. Louis and Kansas City and Cincinnati I think are all a lot alike too. Detroit and Cleveland are similar. I've also noticed some striking similarities between St. Louis and Cleveland. Cleveland and Pittsburgh might be another good analogy. Lastly, D.C. and Baltimore seemed very similar to me. Louisville and Nashville also seemed a lot alike to me.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:36 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,626,332 times
I think St. Louis and Cincinnati are a lot alike. They're both old river towns, both midwestern, have similar weather, and have neighborhoods that look a lot alike.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:33 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaenglein View Post
I think St. Louis and Cincinnati are a lot alike. They're both old river towns, both midwestern, have similar weather, and have neighborhoods that look a lot alike.
I agree. When I visited Cincy I was surprised at how much it felt and looked like like St. Louis. There is a slight difference in political attitudes between the two cities though. Cincy leans a bit to the right,...whereas St. Louis definitely leans to the left. Also, St. Louis has roughly half a million more people than Cincy in its metro. Other than that...yea..similar climate, demographics, similar culture...both great cities with similar history, some of my favorite in the Midwest. In addition, both lie practically due east and west of each other. Cincy if anything I would have to call St. Louis' twin. KC is slightly different. I dunno...KC always seemed more laid back than these two cities....it doesn't share the bigness these two cities share. The other difference between St. Louis and Cincy is that St. Louis is bigger by half a million people. In any case, you wouldn't know that by looking at these two cities. Yea...I'd have to agree....Cincy and St. Louis are a lot alike. Another common thing I'd like to point out about Indy and Columbus is that both basically are kind of medium sized Midwest cities located smack dab between much larger Midwest cities (Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Detroit, Cleveland)....hehehe I think they must get clostrophobic at times being surrounded by all those cities....probably need some air occasionally.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-16-2007 at 07:43 PM..

Old 06-16-2007, 07:40 PM

269 posts, read 1,263,358 times
Default Boulder & Austin?

Wait, you're talking about big cities... never mind!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:49 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,797,405 times
Seattle and Boston
or Las Vegas and Pheonix.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:30 PM

350 posts, read 1,086,621 times
Buffalo and Syracuse

Old 06-17-2007, 12:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,226,383 times
Phoenix and Baghdad (other than the bombs going off)

Old 06-17-2007, 05:39 PM

422 posts, read 753,243 times
Quote:
Columbus is located on hilly terrain
What are you joking? I live in Columbus. While, it's not as flat as - say - Miami, it's still one of the flattest cities in the country. I've yet to come across a real hill in the city. The most change in terrain I've seen is the slopes that are near the river.

Another vote for Columbus and Indianapolis.

Midwestern cities. State capitals. On I-70. Similar populations and metro populations. Staved off white flight by annexing new suburban land. Football crazy.

Very similar cities.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:24 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,371,082 times
SF and Boston is one of the better comparisons. DC has huge govt. buildings and a very high crime rate and slums. SF is basically a millionare's paradise with a homeless problem, but otherwise low crime.

And I think the guy who hates San Diego is, um, strange. SD is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.