Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:51 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,877,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Minneapolis and Saint Paul. They are, after all, the Twin cities
Isn't one a lot hillier than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
Wait, you're talking about big cities... never mind!
Quote:
Boulder & Austin?
Many Boulderites would have apoplexy if they read the above! Boulder thinks it is EXTREMELY unique and EXTREMELY sophisticated.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-17-2007 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: needed to quote title of post

Old 06-18-2007, 11:33 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,119,134 times
Phoenix and Tucson are similar in their desert climates but Tucson is clearly the lonelier, poorer, more disheveled sibling with a more dramatic backdrop. Las Vegas and Phoenix might be regarded as similar, but I don't usually lump them together. Phoenix has a lot more vegetation and tree-lined neighborhoods while Las Vegas will always be barren. The night-and-day difference in nightlife and entertainment is a major reason to not connect the two.

Seattle and San Francisco (and Oakland?) are easily comparable with all that water, vibrant downtowns and large hills. For some reason, Pittsburgh might be similar in many ways as well (water, hills, and downtown).

Milwaukee compares to Cleveland in many ways. Both are mid-sized lakefront towns with heavy industry. Buffalo might be another one to add. Detroit is too far removed from its waterfront and too extreme and unique an example of rust belt to consider here.

Houston and Dallas are too different. Houston equals swamp. Dallas is like a large Chicago suburb. It has a very mid-western look to it and could compare more easily to Denver (sans mountains).

San Diego and Orange County are interchangeable, but don't tell them I said that.

How about El Paso and Albuquerque? San Antonio and Nashville?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 PM

117 posts, read 516,838 times
Anything in Iowa/ Nebraska

Old 06-18-2007, 03:03 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,628,783 times
Quote:
Boulder thinks it is EXTREMELY unique and EXTREMELY sophisticated.
Well isn't it? I've been there and was extremely impressed albeit a bit too liberal for me.

Quote:
Phoenix and Tucson are similar in their desert climates but Tucson is clearly the lonelier, poorer, more disheveled sibling with a more dramatic backdrop. Las Vegas and Phoenix might be regarded as similar, but I don't usually lump them together. Phoenix has a lot more vegetation and tree-lined neighborhoods while Las Vegas will always be barren. The night-and-day difference in nightlife and entertainment is a major reason to not connect the two.
Very true that's why I cannot put Tucson and Phoenix together. They're very different except for the terrain. Phoenix and Vegas are comparable.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:39 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,015,270 times
Tucson is far more liberal than Phoenix. Very different atmosphere.

Two cities? I would say Seattle and San Francisco. If you were happy in one you'd be happy in the other. Just need more money in Frisco. If money is not an issue than you can't go wrong with either city.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:49 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
IF KC weren't so much smaller than St. Louis I'd argue for a comparison there too. Both Midwestern and at the pretty much the same latitude. Both in Missouri. Both on I-70. Both look very similar landscape wise, at least in Missouri. Both located at the confluence of multiple rivers, and both located on the Missouri River.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Quote:
Boulder thinks it is EXTREMELY unique and EXTREMELY sophisticated.

Well isn't it? I've been there and was extremely impressed albeit a bit too liberal for me.
Unique? Only in the sense that every place is unique, as in unlike somewhere else. Sophisticated? Hardly. When "the best of Boulder" comes out in the paper, many chain stores are voted the "best" in their category, including some fast food outlets. That is just one example.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:49 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,875,472 times
Topography and politics aside, Columbus and Indy are still twins, albeit separated into BUCKEYE and Hoosier camps.

Cleveland and Detroit are rivalrous twins, although Detroit is the big brother.

Boston and Seattle are twins that went to live on opposite coasts, which shows both socially and politically.

I see similarities between Atlanta and Charlotte...

Old 06-18-2007, 11:40 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,531,231 times
I would contend that Saint Louis is much more Eastern feeling than KCMO. KCMO is a prairie city, Saint Louis didn't give me that feeling. Both cities are lovely, but pretty different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.