Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:38 PM

450 posts, read 1,898,227 times

Advertisements

I hate to stir up a hornet's nest here... but I'm starting to notice a return of dress codes and formality to restaurants. And not just nice restaurants -- some Chili's-level bar and grill places (not Chili's itself though!) that are non-chains are starting to ban certain types of clothing (such as non-collared shirts or sports clothing).

For example, I have a tasteful sweatshirt from a hockey team and khakis on right now -- and I know of some places that would not let me in.

Clubs have pretty stringent dress codes in SoCal it seems -- I don't go to clubs anyway, don't enjoy the atmosphere at all when it comes to over-perfumed people and pretentious-looking dress.

Even a couple of casual bars in downtown San Diego do not allow jeans. Pretty strange for a touristy-area.

What is it like in your city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 05:59 PM

142 posts, read 1,028,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I hate to stir up a hornet's nest here... but I'm starting to notice a return of dress codes and formality to restaurants. And not just nice restaurants -- some Chili's-level bar and grill places (not Chili's itself though!) that are non-chains are starting to ban certain types of clothing (such as non-collared shirts or sports clothing).

For example, I have a tasteful sweatshirt from a hockey team and khakis on right now -- and I know of some places that would not let me in.

Clubs have pretty stringent dress codes in SoCal it seems -- I don't go to clubs anyway, don't enjoy the atmosphere at all when it comes to over-perfumed people and pretentious-looking dress.

Even a couple of casual bars in downtown San Diego do not allow jeans. Pretty strange for a touristy-area.

Come up to Portland, OR....I have been to countless bars & restaurants here and have not encountered even ONE of them that has required a dress code. Hell, even the rich people here often dress like they are homeless or just slept in a park or something, lol!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 PM

That's the great thing about Portland and Seattle... casual seems to almost be the expectation, while overdress is considered pretentious!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,048,769 times
In New York City some dress codes seemed to be increasing, but I haven't encountered it elsewhere and I've been on the road and been to many towns/cities in the last weeks. I didn't sense any change from casual to formal anywhere.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Louisville, CO: Extremely casual, shorts and sandals OK even at church. Boulder: Ditto
Denver: Ditto, I think. I've never gone to church there but I used to work for a hospice and people wore jeans to funerals. Generally casual, anyway.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:38 PM

Denver is also great that way -- I enjoyed living there very much. Unfortunately, my sinuses never adapted to the dry air/altitude, but otherwise, a great place to live.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,039,217 times
There are plenty of places here that have dress codes, my friend and I on a whim wanted to go to a bar once and she was turned away for wearing sneakers, which is something I rarely do (we knew it was that sort of place but were trying to sneak in). I don't mind it, I get kind of annoyed when I go somewhere nice and someone shows up in jeans and a t-shirt, I mean c'mon, would it kill ya to put on some decent clothes. But then again, I grew up with my mom not allowing my brother to come to the table without a button up or collared shirt on if we had guests for dinner.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,408,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post

In any city I have lived, or gone to so far, I noticed people dressing "more proper" in recent years.
I truly believe, that the fashion choices and ideas of designers are not readily accepted and tolerated by the regular folks. (Just to name a few....ripped and torn jeans, pants hanging down without a belt with underwear showing, dirty/ falling apart sneakers, shirt's with vulgar language and/ or signs printed on....etc.)
One needs to know, to which establishment to go, to be able to wear what kind of clothing.
(BTW....I support that dress code enforcement)
There is a place for EVERY taste somewhere...and if in doubt, call ahead FIRST! (That way you will avoid unpleasant surprises!)

Old 06-20-2007, 08:40 PM

Wow, Chicago sounds a little stuffier than I had anticipated!

For me, I really don't wear anything baggy or sloppy -- but on the other hand, I don't often wear collared shirts. Typically, I'll wear a sweatshirt -- often a small embroidering -- but with nothing underneath, since that's ideal for the climate out here about 10 months of the year. And when a burger-and-beer joint tells me that's not good enough... I'm less than pleased!

I miss the laid-back, easy-going, friendly 90s! Stuffiness seems to be returning, and I guess I just don't like it!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,006,064 times
Dallas (being the home of Neiman-Marcus) people tend to be well-groomed and well-dressed. It is a bit more relaxed than in the past as the California chic dress-down types invade...

It's frustrating for someone from Dallas to go to the theater in NYC or London and see that cities we idolize are not up to the occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.