Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,196,191 times

Advertisements

We're big boys and girls here, don't close my threads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,335,431 times
Minneapolis and Saint Paul. They are, after all, the Twin cities

Old 06-15-2007, 03:30 AM

673 posts, read 4,058,376 times
What two cities seem to have alot of similarities and are most alike as in combinations.

In my personal opinion only although it is up for debate, Minneapolis and St. Paul are not at all alike. Minneapolis has a much higher violent crime rate, isnt as clean and has alot more negative issues then St. Paul.

St. Paul seems like a very, very close-knit neighborhoody community with a massive amount of community pride. Minneapolis has alot more in-migration into the city, is much more fragmented and not nearly as neighborhoody or close-knit as Minneapolis.

While people in Minneapolis are just sorta nice, people in St. Paul when ever I have been there have been very, very excpetionally nice and friendly to the point where its almost like a dream.

Minneapolis in my opinion is much more edgy, willing try to new things and much more liberal and creative then St. Paul. Minneapolis doesnt even try to be culturally "clean" while St. Paul prides itself on that. But then again this all just my opinion based on when I have been in the two cities, I have never lived in the two cities.

Alot of people like to say Columbus and Indianapolis are similar and they couldnt be further apart. Comparing Columbus to Indianapolis like alot of people tend to do is like comparing Boston with Houston. Columbus has clean, beautiful, vibrant, culturally entertaining neighborhoods all over the inner-city while Indianapolis in my view is just generic, run-down, boring, dirty and overall has neighborhoods that are just a name in my view and not a way of life. Columbus also has a much younger demographic, is far more liberal and progressive then Indianapolis which has the mentality more in line with a rural area amongst its populous.

Also Columbus admits its problems it has some bad areas and they are solution oriented, Indianapolis on the other hand I think its fairly common sense that its a city with no where to go so why bother.

Indianapolis feels like a big version of Topeka, Kansas, I wouldnt be suprised if their urban dream is to have neighborhoods in the same league as Topeka, Kansas or Waterloo, Iowa. Columbus on the other hand has the hottest urban neighborhoods in the midwest outside of Chicago in my opinion.

As far as cities with similarities....Its harder to think of the combinations of cities then I thought.

Madison, Wisconsin seems to share some similairies with Iowa City, Iowa both are considered hot cities, big colleges, expensive and very entertaining and alot of people want to live in both of them. Both cities have great downtowns are very politically liberal.

Des Moines, Iowa seems to share some simarities with Omaha, Nebraska both metro's have a much larger business-base and are much more affluent then most places and they both have very low housing values. Both cities have large areas of blight with extremely low housing values, they also have very nice suburban areas though. Each city is rather green and lush with lots of trees although Des Moines is slightly cleaner then Omaha.

Both Omaha and Des Moines are really, really working hard to improve their rather mediocre at best nightlife in their downtown areas and both arent having as much success as they hoped for. Also both Des Moines and Omaha have much, much more vibrant and succesful overall suburban retail corridors then their attempts with their downtowns.

Last edited by MattDen; 06-15-2007 at 03:42 AM..

Old 06-15-2007, 07:59 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,222,520 times
I've heard that DC and San Fran are "sister cities" on opposite coasts. The major difference between DC and San Fran is that the latter has lots of tall buildings. But when it comes to politics, traffic, etc, they're really both very similar.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:38 AM

332 posts, read 1,619,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
We're big boys and girls here, don't close my threads!
I've always thought that except for some weather differences, Seattle and San Francisco are very similar.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:19 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,370,189 times
A lot of the land locked sunbelt cities (Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte) seem pretty much the same- bland office buildings, high end chains, etc.

D.C. and SF are nothing alike.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:21 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,626,112 times
Dallas and Houston are probably the two most alike cities in the US, take a look in the Texas forum and see all 132,953 threads on the subject.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 PM

142 posts, read 1,028,114 times
Everyone tells me that Austin, TX, and Portland, OR are very similar.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,136,803 times
Phoenix and Tucson, I reckon.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:48 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,711,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post

D.C. and SF are nothing alike.
thats not true, They are both, in a sense, European like. So yes, those cities are similar in my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.