Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Living in Queens, NYC I know of 5 diners (4 of which I can walk to quite easily and the 5th is slightly further away).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
The Northeast (and especially Jersey) is the king of diners, but like most things in this country, it's spread far beyond its origins.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
The Baltimore area has a bunch of diners, a lot of them are the neon-filled, all-night or open late kind which I hear is similar to New Jersey and New York. A lot are owned by Greeks or Italians. The show Diners Drive Ins and Dives has been to the Baltimore area many times.

Boulevard Diner - This is a diner in Baltimore County, Maryland that the show with Guy Fieri has been to. I used to frequent this place all the time and it has a small town atmosphere as does the surrounding region despite being a suburb.

Now I live in West Virginia and there are a lot of country-style diners. They do not have the neon and chrome look of Baltimore diners but they often have a lot of homestyle decorations and have a very intimate feel, with a lot of "country" elements and décor. now these diners often close early, like around 7 or 8 PM, meaning they close earlier than many chain restaurants and fast food places.

Topspot Country Cookin' - This is officially a "restaurant" but many locals call it a diner. This is the only sit-down restaurant in my town other than a Chinese place. Everything else is fast food or you have to drive 10 miles to the city. People also consider Waffle House, which other parts of West Virginia have, a diner. This place has served President Bush twice and has some great homestyle, fresh cooking.

Though I haven't seen it there is a movie called "Diner" that is supposed to really represent the Baltimore of the past when things were nicer in the city center before everyone who could move to suburbia did. "Waitress" is a movie that is set in an unnamed town in an unnamed state but could very well have taken place in West Virginia. In both Maryland and West Virginia I've seen the occasional old pharmacy that still has the old lunch counter inside which is real neat, mostly in the small towns.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:17 AM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Saw this and had to chime in - I'm a sucker for a good diner/greasy spoon/dive/whatever you wanna call them!

Although far from the east coast, there's a fair number of these establishments here in the Seattle area. One which I am rather fond of is the Mecca Café. Checkerboard floors and stools that look right out of the 50's, a pretty mean Rueben sandwich (among other things), and some good local craft beers on tap keep me coming back fairly regularly. Best of all, it's a pretty cozy spot to relax, and fairly cheap too.

Another popular spot I still need to check out is Beth's Café - I believe it was featured on Man vs. Food for their 12 egg omelet w/all you can-eat hash browns.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:05 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
The Marietta Diner in Marietta (Atlanta) is AMAZING.

Marietta Diner A Family Restaurant..::IT'S DINER TIME..::

DDD Maritta Diner, Greek food, Spanikopita + - YouTube

Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Diner in Manhattan:

Edward Hopper, 1942
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.