U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 PM

554 posts, read 2,281,091 times

Advertisements

Which states, in the next 5-10 years, do you expect to begin booming?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:34 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,914,308 times
Hard to tell. The Southern states obviously. Texas and Oklahoma will still likely be booming. Maybe the Midwestern states have a chance given the Midwest cities are slowly beginning to bounce back (I live in one that's doing just that)

Old 06-15-2007, 09:03 AM

792 posts, read 2,904,780 times
Trust me: New Hampshire...the "Mass"-hole exodus from Taxachusetts has already begun! I'd venture a guess too, as more people continue to migrate south to warmer climates and less taxing and government regulated states, South Carolina more than any place in the south. North Carolina is already becoming the next Florida, while Tennessee and Georgia too have seen dramatic shifts. The shift isn't quite so dramatic in S. Carolina I believe...yet.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:24 AM

673 posts, read 3,754,678 times
I think alot of the western states will do very well they seem to have alot of retirees moving in states like Oregon and Washington they seem to have alot of energy going on and also Idaho.

Alot of people say Utah is booming but its a poor state they have a very high bithrate and no matter how much economic success stories they have the per-capita income for the state is still going to be one of the lowest in the nation just because of all the babies they have.

With Arizona and Nevada I wonder if anyone has looked at what the per-capita income's are they arent that impressive, they have very good economic growth but the per-capita income's tend to be lower then one would think for those states.

Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota have been really been having good economic times as of late and if the oil prices stay very high they will continue to enjoy very good times. In fact Wyoming and Colorado seem to in competition with which one is more affluent, the oil and natural gas economy really has brought tremendous prosperity to Wyoming.

Another state that is doing exceptionally well in the midwest region is South Dakota. South Dakota is probubly has the most potential of the great plains/midwestern states. Its really an economic engine up there. One can say what they want about how Sioux Falls is sprawly and visually unappealing with planning to be desired but it is a big economic success story as is Brookings an hour up the road.

Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico will probubly also continue to have very good economies although in Oklahoma and New Mexico's case they are just playing catch-up and its mainly because have lots of natural resources also Oklahoma benefits from its good proximity and location.

Who knows about the ethanol, if the ethanol continues to be very politically popular then I would include Nebraska and Iowa. Both states have been doing rather well especially in alot of the rural areas.

All and all, The plains states are doing much economically better then the great lakes states and will probubly continue to do so. While the Great Lakes states lose ground compared to the national average for the most part, the plains states are doing rather well especially where they have corn or oil nearby.

Last edited by MattDen; 06-15-2007 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-15-2007, 05:24 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,367,918 times
I think Wyoming is really going to pick up the pace. It has a highish growth rate but nowhere near that of neighboring Colorado and Idaho or the rest of the West and I think the appeal of the West that a lot of Americans seek as far as open land, cheap living, breathtaking scenery still exists there and many Americans who moved out west to places like Colorado and Arizona now dejected with the overcrowding and quality of life, will eventually find themselves there.

And as was said, I also think if ethanol ever really takes off, Iowa will be a cash cow.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 11,970,107 times
Smile where's the money?

North Central West Virginia...Morgantown, Bridgeport and surrounding areas.
Such a threat that Penn State and Carnegie Institute have built campus's to slow the Pennsylvania out migration to WVU at nearby Uniontown...

Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM

893 posts, read 2,520,580 times
The Northeast. Everyone who moved to the South probally get tired of the heat, or their kids want to live somewhere with snow. Or skin cancer is rampant in the south and people move up north to lessen their chance of skin cancer.

Than the Northeast will be a booming place, with home prices cheap, great economy, schools, and weather.

One can only wish haha.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,176,041 times
^Tymel, I think that's more like 20-30 years from now rather than 5-10.

I do think one northeastern state is seeing significant growth. Eastern Pennsylvania is receiving a lot of expat New Jerseyans. Although you'd never know it from looking at these boards, more NJ residents leave to go to PA than to NC or VA or any other southern state. I expect that trend to continue and the Delaware Valley counties to grow quite a bit.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:39 PM

20,863 posts, read 35,998,811 times
I expect most of the Western states to continue to grow much faster than population than the national average. Also, economic growth will likely continue to be strong in states like Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota. A lot of these states are benefiting from the energy boom economy as well. Other states that will likely continue to benefit from in-migration include South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Florida, and Georgia.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,642,963 times
The projected growth for North Carolina is 4 million by 2030 bumping it from 11th to 7th in most populated state

Projected Change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or