Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm a Rail fanner , Transitbuff , and a future employee for Amtrak's Northeast Regional. After some mileage checking , i do think it will be 130mph. But i do express problems , I think Florida is putting way to much into these "Connector" trains instead of building base systems. Usually you build Base systems and then build connector lines. I know more about Trains / Transit you guys probably do , but that comes with the Territory living up here.
At least you admit you were wrong, but you flatter yourself a little too much.

If you have ever traveled I-4 between Orlando and Tampa, you would see the need for the train first hand. It WILL be a success, whether you think so or not.

And just so you know Mr. Rail, Orlando is on the verge of launching commuter rail, and the Bay Area is getting serious about light rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
At least you admit you were wrong, but you flatter yourself a little too much.

If you have ever traveled I-4 between Orlando and Tampa, you would see the need for the train first hand. It WILL be a success, whether you think so or not.

And just so you know Mr. Rail, Orlando is on the verge of launching commuter rail, and the Bay Area is getting serious about light rail.
I know it needs Rail , that highway is terrible. But no one is getting my point , you need Base systems to tie into your Commuter / HSR otherwise it doesn't work aswell. Bay Area like SF? Ikno Tampa is starting to , but i haven't seen much out of Orlando.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
I have to agree with him though. It would be useless to go from point A to B without having away to get around B. Of course there are Cabs and Rental cars, but that is expensive and takes up space.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
But you need a Base system in each Major city ie like Tampa and Orlando for it to work properly otherwise , it won't work. Who's going to ride a Train form Tampa to Orlando , when Orlando doesn't have a system to shuttle them around the city like Light Rail or Streetcars. Amtrak's higher used lines go to cities with Base systems.
the three stops in Orlando will have base systems. The first one, Disney, excellent monorail and bus system. 2nd, Covention center, there is a trolly system that takes you all around that area. Last Orlando international airport will be a huge station, of course there are planes to take you all around the world, also Orlandos rail system will go to that station which can take people right through the heart of the metro and it's suburbs. each station for that rail will have plenty of bus routes leading from it.. On top of that there are several light lines planned for the Orlando area that will spin off the commuter rail.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:15 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
I know it needs Rail , that highway is terrible. But no one is getting my point , you need Base systems to tie into your Commuter / HSR otherwise it doesn't work aswell. Bay Area like SF? Ikno Tampa is starting to , but i haven't seen much out of Orlando.
I see what you are talking about. But Orlando will have a base station. I saw it in an article in the Tampa Tribune. Its going to be at Orlando's airport. And im sure when Orlando builds commuter or light rail, it will all be connected, as it will in Tampa Bay (aka bay area )

Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
But you need a Base system in each Major city ie like Tampa and Orlando for it to work properly otherwise , it won't work. Who's going to ride a Train form Tampa to Orlando , when Orlando doesn't have a system to shuttle them around the city like Light Rail or Streetcars. Amtrak's higher used lines go to cities with Base systems.
Miami already has a base system. Not sure why they haven't brought it across Biscayne Bay to the beach yet, but it's there along with commuter rail to Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach County. If the distant train networks made stops at Disney World, ORL airport, and DT Orlando, that could be sufficent and would probably be popular with international tourists.

Tampa, Clearwater, and St. Pete could also be well connected with a regional base system

Old 05-19-2010, 02:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
These are Examples of base systems here in the Northeast

& The 2030/40 plans for the Region , with the Permission of the original owner i edited his map.

New Map key

Orange = Regular Rail / lower high speed lines 70-120mph
Red = True High Speed Rail 140-240mph
Purple = Planned / Proposed Rail Rapid Transit , Bus Rapid Transit , Light Rail

Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
I would use a fast rail line because I do alot of traveling!

Im from Charleston WV and they were going to put a fast rail between Charl. and Huntington WV

about 50miles apart

Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Having recently flown between Chicago and St. Louis, which took about two hours, I pondered whether a train trip of four hours would be worthwhile. It would no doubt be faster than flying if there were some bad weather resulting in cancellations and delays. Even under good conditions the train could be faster if the origin and destination were the downtown areas. Frequency of service would be critical. One possible problem: I have heard that some passengers in the Northeast corridor prefer to use the local trains as the Acela express is premium fare.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
The issue on this is weather it is truely high speed or not. The higher the speed is the more practical the option is for longer distances. It also depends on how many stops between cities as well since that will need a higher average speed to make it worthwhile. My guess is with minimal between stops it would be whatever the speed is multiplied by 2-3. Therefore a 150mph average train would be practical for 300-450 mile distances. (assuming number of stops along the way and time at stops) A big concern was for the Chicago-St. Louis line was the speed would only be around 100mph which would not work out and not be much better than driving. (especially with the stops) It has to be fast enough or it will sour the public's mood for expansion later on since it has to be real high-speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.