Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this country is the most beautiful country?
YES 51 58.62%
NO 36 41.38%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times

Advertisements

Yes we are the best. All other countries either look like lala land or New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
We live on an incredible planet with beauty throughout.

The United States is blessed with great scenery. Are we any more scenic than Mexico, Russia, or South Africa? I don't think so. We do have a more responsive and less corrupt government than those places that let us have a higher quality of living that let's us often drive our nice cars to those scenic areas and enjoy them.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
No...prettiest country I've been to is Greece. The thing with the US is that we have such a variation of landscapes, which does make it pretty; but I think many places in the world are just as pretty, or prettier.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:11 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Well, in terms of overall geographic diversity, China would win. That country has regions (like the vast sand dunes of the Taklamakan desert, or the tropical limestone karst gorges along the southern rivers, or tropical mountain ranges along the Burmese border) that do not have direct US analogues (only limited ones). China also has far taller mountains (not just the Tibetan Himalayas, but also ranges like the Tian Shan), along with bioregions that don't exist in the US, either (such as large, high-altitude plains at 17,000+ feet).

The difference, though, is that a lot of this stuff is difficult to reach. If you want to go tour a high-altitude semitropical river canyon somewhere near the border of southern Tibet and northern Burma, it's going to be a hell of a journey, and you might have to spend a couple weeks each way on mules or on foot.

The US has much more accessible scenery in that regard. Even very remote landforms like the Kobuk sand dunes up in Alaska can be reached relatively easily by charter flight.

Also, China actually does have quite a bit of tundra, but it is located up in remote areas near the Russian or Mongolian borders, or in those high-altitude plains.

You have to remember that China's borders stretch from the tropics of Laos to the mountainous, glaciated border with Afghanistan, and beyond. People tend to forget how large China actually is.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:26 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Patriotism is good and all, but:

Highest mountains - not in the U.S.
Vastest deserts - not in the U.S.
Greatest glaciers - not in the U.S.
Greatest rainforests - not in the U.S.
Most diverse and concentrated wildlife - not in the U.S.
Most spectacular beaches - not in the U.S.
Best corral reefs - not in the U.S.

So...

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-23-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
If you are a US citizen than you are just as American as any other.

I think what people mean is traditionally you aren't that American, depending on what their reason were. I said it because when America was first starting out people from around the world were flocking here for a better life and it's natural beauty was also a factor. That's why we have paitriotic songs about our country's beauty. Recongnizing our lands beauty was always part of being american throughout our history.. It just saddens me to read so much negativity on here and lack of pride of being an American. It offends me more than the eff bomb. If people don't like it here so much why don't they leave instead of trying to change the coustoms this country was created on.
I'm American, born and raised and lived there until I was 48. I had ancestors in the revolutionary war. But if I say anything negative about America I'm un-American and unpatriotic. Especially since I'm looked at as a traitor since I don't live there anymore.

I find Scotland a much more beautiful country than the US. Not as diverse. However, you are never more than a 15 minute drive from gorgeous scenery, even if living in a slum.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 AM

79 posts, read 157,919 times
I don't know about the prettiest, but we're up there

Old 05-23-2010, 06:38 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Patriotism is good and all, but:

Highest mountains - not in the U.S.
Vastest deserts - not in the U.S.
Greatest glaciers - not in the U.S.
Greatest rainforests - not in the U.S.
Most diverse and concentrated wildlife - not in the U.S.
Most spectacular beaches - not in the U.S.
Best corral reefs - not in the U.S.

So...
who says the highest, and vastest, meant the most beautiful?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:12 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
who says the highest, and vastest, meant the most beautiful?
Magnitude is a major component of beauty. A few great things can outweigh a larger number of lesser things. Anyway, beauty depends on how the observer measures it.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

I personally think Greece and Italy are the most beautiful countries as a whole in the world. Europe in itself is far more diverse than the US-why do you think there are thousands of cultures there-geographic diversity?

Haven't been to Italy, but I agree about Greece. Seriously, nothing in the US can compare to the scenery I experienced in Santorini:

I call this place heaven on earth, right from the very hotel I stayed at.

Bermuda is another place that's prettier than anywhere I've been in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.