U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 12:21 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,882,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
but for those that are just barely scraping by to make ends meet, doesnt that bother you? what do you do if something should go wrong?
It does bother me because I'm living in a city where the cost of living is ridiculous. I've been trying to move out of here for months... just gotta wait for the job market to cooperate a little.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 01:18 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,296,093 times
Well I guess I'm lucky, I bought before the boom and my house is now worth over double what it was when I bought it. I don't make 6 figures or have a huge bank account, I just bought at the right time.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:32 PM

3,161 posts, read 8,102,519 times
I like the area and I can afford it on the salaries my spouse and I earn. I don't really need any more reasons.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:28 PM

554 posts, read 2,281,231 times
It's just like asking some people why they wear designer clothes rather than regular clothes.

Why spend $72 on a Lacoste polo when you can get the same polo at JCPenney or somewhere (without the crocodile) for around something like $15?

The answer is personal preference, and personal finances. Some people might LIKE prefer to live in an affluent area. $730,000 may seem like a lot to one person, but pocket change to another.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,435,965 times
yes, but for most of the people living in those areas, it isnt pocket change...

Old 06-15-2007, 02:59 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,925,906 times
Living in a city defined as expensive has the attributes tahiti lists. Everything comes at "some" price!

But don't fool yourself: in many towns/cities expenses are higher because of a smaller population; isolation; not on main roads; low turn over; and other economic factors.

I don't consider it too high a price to pay for the amenities important to me and the salary I might have earned was considerably higher than if I had worked in a less desirable town/city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
because cheap housing is the be-all, end-all of life?

how about: educated population, excellent schools, great amenities, family and friends close by, great job opportunities, higher salaries, diverse culture, great food, 4 seasons.

many people survive in these areas without living beyond their means and not making $200K a year. i think the 2 states with the highest rates of foreclosure are Nevada and Colorado. Cali and CT are in the top 10, but so are GA, FL ,AZ, IL, and MI - "cheaper" states.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:04 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,368,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
how about: educated population, excellent schools, great amenities, family and friends close by, great job opportunities, higher salaries, diverse culture, great food, 4 seasons.
Yep. Those are pretty much my reasons.

I've always lived in more expensive areas and since I grew up in one, it's what I'm used to; and I will now be moving yet again from one expensive area to another (DC to NYC).

Sure I would like to pay less for rent and car insurance and the like, but more often than not, it seems you get what you pay for, and the majority of the areas in this country that have a lower cost of living hold no interest to me. I can see the appeal they hold for others and wouldn't rule out moving to one in the future, but as far as what I'm looking for at this point in my life, I think the trade-off of all the benefits listed earlier of living in the more expensive areas of the country, outweight the costs.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:16 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,320,476 times
comforts, weather, and a high paying job would justify it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or