U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:32 AM

9 posts, read 14,630 times

Advertisements

I'm not real sure how to phrase this so my question is clear without offending somebody but I'll try. I'm really just trying to understand.

We're looking to retire from upstate New York to the southeast for several reasons, climate and taxes being two, but another is the longstanding impression we've had that the south has fewer government regulations and interference in citizen's day to day lives, that the people of the south value individual freedom more than New Yorkers do. I may have the wrong impression based on what I've seen on realty websites but it seems that nearly everywhere I look each housing development has covenents or each neighborhood has an association that imposes rules that wouldn't be accepted by anyone I know around here. Granted these are voluntary in the sense that you don't have to live there if you don't like the rules but I question how much people who accept things like not being allowed to park your car in your driveway or put up a storage shed in your backyard love freedom.

As someone who essentially a libertarian (small "l") I have a live and let live viewpoint and wonder how we'd fit in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:46 AM

43,220 posts, read 41,812,025 times
Some people don't mind those restrictions because one car in your driveway can quickly become four or five on a quarter-acre, a work truck in the yard and an RV outside your bedroom window.
Your freedom to park your stuff where you want it then encroaches on my freedom to see out my window.
You could always buy an acre or more of your own that is not in a development, but it really sound like you want to live in Texas.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:58 AM

15,342 posts, read 27,534,547 times
Mod Note:

Moved from TN forum. May need to be combined with OP's previous thread: Want to "retire" someplace warmer, walkable, welcoming

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,523,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Your freedom to park your stuff where you want it then encroaches on my freedom to see out my window.
So very true! People sometimes act as though "freedom" means "I can do whatever I want." But you can't do whatever you want--not so long as you're living among other people. If everyone ran around doing exactly as they pleased, you could forget about freedom; you'd have anarchy.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 AM

14,990 posts, read 31,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdad View Post
I'm not real sure how to phrase this so my question is clear without offending somebody but I'll try. I'm really just trying to understand.

We're looking to retire from upstate New York to the southeast for several reasons, climate and taxes being two, but another is the longstanding impression we've had that the south has fewer government regulations and interference in citizen's day to day lives, that the people of the south value individual freedom more than New Yorkers do. I may have the wrong impression based on what I've seen on realty websites but it seems that nearly everywhere I look each housing development has covenents or each neighborhood has an association that imposes rules that wouldn't be accepted by anyone I know around here. Granted these are voluntary in the sense that you don't have to live there if you don't like the rules but I question how much people who accept things like not being allowed to park your car in your driveway or put up a storage shed in your backyard love freedom.

As someone who essentially a libertarian (small "l") I have a live and let live viewpoint and wonder how we'd fit in there.
It's because you're looking at newer "housing developments" aka subdivisions (many of those people are transplants from somewhere else). You'll need to look at older neighborhoods, small towns, and rural areas to get away from those rules.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM

12,296 posts, read 15,190,901 times
It is not always City ordinances that restrict what you can do but also the Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions (CC & R) attached to the property. Although such prohibitions related to race or religion have been struck down by the courts, almost anything else is fair game.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:09 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,936,547 times
There are many subdivisions that have minimal restriction, some with suffocating ones and some with none.
You can find what you are most comfortable with.
There are still going to be county ordinances to deal with and those can also be more or less restrictive dependent upon the county.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 AM

20,847 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Go to the Appalachians. HOAs are non-existent thank goodness. I would advise to buy a good amount of land to offer privacy between any potential neighbors. I have seen some properties with 10-20 old cars parked out back along with RVs, campers, multiple dilapidated out buildings, etc.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
It depends on where you live. In my hometown, you can basically do whatever you want with your house. I see cars parked in front yards all the time. But I can travel 30 minutes to an upscale suburb where cars can't be parked in the yard and the grass can't grow up to a certain height

Old 05-23-2010, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 14,630 times
Default What a range of responses!

First let me say I originally posted this in the Tennessee forum. We visited there last fall and were impressed with the friendliness of the people we met. When we've traveled looking for a retirement spot we try and eat in small, out of the way places so we can talk to locals and get a better feel for the people. Even in the tiniest towns we stopped in the people were uniformly friendly, even to the extent they wanted to show us a house near where they live that's for sale. We liked the areas we visited (about a 40 mile circle west, south and east of Nashville) that we're going back next week to look around Chattanooga.

In the meantime we've been looking at real estate websites. The house you get for the money is amazing compared to around here, and the property taxes are 1/4 or 1/5 ours. We're not poor, but we will be on a retiree's income with no cost of living increases or anything like that. When we started getting more details we repeatedly saw these covenents and neighborhood association rules and got concerned. Not all of them are posted online but those that are struck us as very restrictive. Plus mandatory fees for things we're not interested in, like pools and tennis courts.

We're still going to Tennesee, flying down next Sunday, but it doesn't look like it's the state for us. When my right to use my property is determined by your right to look at what you want, and people think that a car parked in the driveway will result in anarchy (riots in the streets?) that's not where we want to live. Even where those covenants don't exist if that's the attitude of the people who live there it's not our kind of place.

You should understand, my neighbors like me, and they especially like my property, with the well tended flower gardens and manicured lawn. I'll do the same at my next house, because I like to have my property look nice. But I might want to have company who'll have to park in the driveway.

We'll continue to look around the southeast and hope to find a place where people believe in live and let live, and freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or