U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 PM

29,366 posts, read 39,814,348 times

Advertisements

I think humidity is worse than snow/cold is worse than dry heat. But, the only weather that really drives me mad is gray and gloom for months like in upper midwest where I grew up and in Pac NW.

In AZ we have the luxury of being able to drive into or out of the snow or into or out of the heat anytime we want. That's hard to find and hard to beat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 PM

39,582 posts, read 47,825,261 times
AZ "dry heat" is far more comfortable than the southern states high sweaty humidity where you shower 3-4 times a day and fight off the bugs/mosquitos like crazy. With the dry heat you can go anywhere un-restricted 24/7. The hottest times on the average are mid June to mid Sept. The rest of the time is either heaven or bliss. People wear shorts in AZ nearly all year around.
Snow keeps you cold and all bundled up and very restricted in movement, plus you shiver all the time.

Ideally, if you could afford it, AZ desert areas in the fall winter spring, then CO, UT in the summer months where it's climate is very temperate.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 PM

636 posts, read 2,093,796 times
Tinkertea I know a lot of people who have moved here from Atlanta and they all say they would NEVER move back to that humidity, and the bugs that come with it

Old 06-16-2007, 07:41 AM

4,299 posts, read 13,650,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertea View Post
I am native to So. California, and love it here, but want to leave because I can no longer afford to live here. It is hard to decide where to move, because I've never even been in snow (don't laugh!), so I don't know what to expect if I had to live/drive in it. But is it worse than living in a place like AZ, where it gets to 110 degrees? Or Atlanta, where the humidity is bad? The heat in Cali is a dry heat, and can get to well over 100. At that point, I'm none-to-happy. But I've never delt with humidity or snow. Which is the worse of the 3 evils...snow, heat, humidity? And there is trying to find a place with the right weather, yet has affordable housing, good job market and low crime. Denver seems to be where my research keeps taking me, but that whole "snow thing" keeps me from being 100% commited to the idea. Has anyone delt with the 3 types of weather conditions?

Well coming from NY I don't care for snow. I like heat and the heat in Phx never bothered me. I'm in NC now I haven't been bothered by the humidity as of yet but I will say my skin is looking great! I've never lived in Atlanta so I can't compare but just my 2 cents whatever it's worth Phx would probably be a better choice than Atlanta. They get some wicked storms over there.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:30 AM

714 posts, read 1,695,988 times
Tinkertea,

If you've lived in So. Cal. for most of your life, Pittsburgh will seem very cloudy. In the winter, when the trees are bare and the weather is cold, it might seem very dreary and dismal to you. You may wish you were back in CA. The good news is, for the price of a small, rundown CA house you could build a house in Pittsburgh with its own indoor tropical rainforest.

On the other hand, summer and fall in Pittsburgh are very nice. A typical summer day is partly sunny and bright with nice puffy white clouds that occaisonally turn into brief afternoon showers/thunderstorms that keep the vegetation green. Yes, the humidity can be high, but it isn't as bad as in the South. The fall foliage is quite beautiful.

To sum up, Pittsburgh weather, compared to So. Cal. is:
Winter: cloudy, cold, and dreary, with snow once in awhile.
Spring: very changeable, generally cloudy, cool, and showery.
Summer: very green vegetation. No water restrictions. Much more humid than CA, with typical afternoon highs in the mid 80s. Brief afternoon thunderstorms on some days.
Fall: cloudy and rainy some days, sunny on others. Beautiful fall foliage in October.
Overall: much more changeable than So. Cal.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:45 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,159,060 times
You guys know I love Pittsburgh and agree with everything you said about the weather - but don't right off Charlotte. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and partly due to the weather. It is a really charming place.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,411,653 times
boylocke, have you lived in North Carolina during the summer? I have. It's hard to handle the humidity down there even when you're already used to it as a Pittsburgher. Just imagine how difficult it would be to deal with humidity if you've never experienced humidity.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,159,060 times
I know they get a LOT of bugs, too. Like - world reknown bugs!! haha. But no, I've never lived their during the summer.

I would avoid Phoenix for sure. It is a 60 mile by 60 mile city that is sweldering hot in the summer and the taxes will blow your mind. There is very little humidity which may help, but let me tell you a little story.

I have a friend in Phoenix that I called once and he said,

him: "wow it's 114 degrees today!"
me: "What? I would die. I would just die."
him: "Oh it's not that bad, there is almost no humidity."
me: "Um, when you can scramble eggs on the PAVEMENT, it's too hot!!"

We laughed

The end

Old 06-16-2007, 08:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,386,970 times
PERSONALLY, I like Charlotte's climate better of those cities you mentioned. It's a nice 4-season area without the extremes. We get snow, but not nearly enough to make you hate it. Just enough to be pretty and for the kids to have fun.

It gets humid here, but many other areas of the country get even more hot/humid (any coastal area south of New England, all Gulf Coast states, and nearly all of the midwest). The southwest and mountain states may not have the humidity, but generally they're hotter than Charlotte.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 AM

3,632 posts, read 14,685,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
SableBaby, I have to elaborate on that a little bit, we do start getting 100 degree days in April, but we don't get them everyday. This year, we only saw one day of 100 degrees in April, and the entire month of May, we stayed below 100, with even some highs in the 80s, up until just last week, we had a couple of days with highs in the 80's. On the average, 100+ degree highs don't become the daily weather forecast until late May/early June.
I think my second reply clarified it a bit more. But checking out weather.com, we had 10 days in May at 100 or above, with many 98-99 degree days. It didn't show April, but I remember a few days at 100. But, I'd still say that's hot. It doesn't have to be above 100 to be considered hot. I was just showing that we start getting 100 degree days early, but I never said it was daily. But it does last until mid Oct nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or