U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:50 AM

4,299 posts, read 13,644,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertea View Post
I am native to So. California, and love it here, but want to leave because I can no longer afford to live here. I'm considering Denver, Phoenix, Atlanta, Charlotte NC and Pittsburgh. It is hard to decide where to move, because I've never even been in snow (don't laugh!), so I don't know what to expect if I had to live/drive in it. But is it worse than living in a place like AZ, where it gets to 110 degrees? Or Atlanta/NC/Pittsburgh, where the humidity is bad? The heat in Cali is a dry heat, and can get to well over 100. At that point, I'm none-to-happy. But I've never delt with humidity or snow. Which is the worse of the 3 evils...snow, heat, humidity? And there is trying to find a place with the right weather, yet has affordable housing, good job market and low crime. Denver seems to be where my research keeps taking me, but that whole "snow thing" keeps me from being 100% commited to the idea. Has anyone delt with the 3 types of weather conditions?

Hey I saw you on the Phoenix forum. I didn't know you were considering Charlotte I would have suggested that too you. Well stop right here you have come to the right city. Charlotte verses Phx Charlotte wins. We don't get much here or I wouldn't be here. Oh the weather has been glorious. My relatives called me from Phx sweating their butts off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 11:13 AM

44 posts, read 146,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SElaine View Post
Hi Tinkertea,

For me, I would pick heat over snow and humidity any day. Humidity makes things sticky and a lot of times miserable. I hated the snow. It is such a production. On snowy days you have to wake up three hours earlier than normal so you have time to shovel off your driveway and scrape the ice off your car before you go anywhere. And then you have to drive in the stuff and nobody seems to move more than 20 miles an hour, and you can't see, and there are accidents all over the place and your once 20 minute commute takes over two hours. You had to dress up in coats, boots, scarves, and gloves just to go out. And then when you got somewhere you would have to take it all off just to put it all on again when you had to leave.

As far as the heat goes, 110 degrees in Phoenix is about equivalent to 90 degrees in the humidity, in my opinion.

That's a bit of an extreme situation you've set up concerning snow. Are you describing the blizzard of the decade, or just a regular snow storm? Are you describing the far Northern frontier of Russia??

I've lived in NY AZ CA and WA states. The place I saw the most snow was ARIZONA. I lived at 6,000 feet in the mountains. It would snow like crazy, but then the same day, it could be 65 and sunny, and the snow would quickly melt. 12 inches of snow in AZ is far less trouble than 4 inches in NY. In AZ the roads never froze, because the daytime temps were almost never below freezing, and th roads were quickly plowed, so driving was never so bad. In NY it's a different story, it gets ICY, and stays that way.

I hated every stinking second I lived in Arizona, and it had NOTHING to do with the weather. Well, yeah, the lack of rain, and almost constant fear of forest fires, that got old fast.

If anyone is trying to figure out where to live, it's more than just "does it snow"??? It's all relative and there are many variables. Is its a place you can actually LIVE.

It's supposed to be 118 degrees for three days in PHX next week, but it's a dry heat.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:37 PM

993 posts, read 2,554,141 times
Default I like the heat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I know they get a LOT of bugs, too. Like - world reknown bugs!! haha. But no, I've never lived their during the summer.

I would avoid Phoenix for sure. It is a 60 mile by 60 mile city that is sweldering hot in the summer and the taxes will blow your mind. There is very little humidity which may help, but let me tell you a little story.

Why will the taxes "blow your mind"???? Have you lived here and paid taxes? I think we have extremely reasonable property taxes and sales tax. In my research I have found that Arizona is in the middle range compared to all the other states.

I vote for Phoenix because I too have experienced all kinds of weather. I am from Boston and not only did we get humongous amounts of snow, we got 90 - 100 degree weather with 90 - 100% humidity. Both situations were totally unliveable to me. I also like that you can drive a few hours and find snow, cooler weather. beaches or anything else you enjoy. We also don't worry about tornadoes and earthquakes. We do get a few great monsoon storms but the damage is minor to none at all.

Good luck in making a decision on where to move.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:56 PM

3,632 posts, read 14,678,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I would avoid Phoenix for sure. It is a 60 mile by 60 mile city that is sweldering hot in the summer and the taxes will blow your mind. There is very little humidity which may help, but let me tell you a little story.
The only way the taxes would blow you away is because they are so CHEAP!!! I pay $1200/year for a $300k house.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:22 PM

25 posts, read 68,641 times
Thank you all so much for your input! It has been so very interesting hearing about each your experiences. I will be making visits to a few places to see for myself how I fair with each weather and I'll let ya know what i decide

Old 06-16-2007, 07:26 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your input! It has been so very interesting hearing about each your experiences. I will be making visits to a few places to see for myself how I fair with each weather and I'll let ya know what i decide
In regards to the four season cities, Denver, Pittsburgh, et all, a quick visit won't tell you much about the weather. And if it's bad anywhere, they will tell you they are not having "normal" weather.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:28 AM

390 posts, read 1,368,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Harrington View Post
That's a bit of an extreme situation you've set up concerning snow. Are you describing the blizzard of the decade, or just a regular snow storm? Are you describing the far Northern frontier of Russia??

I've lived in NY AZ CA and WA states. The place I saw the most snow was ARIZONA. I lived at 6,000 feet in the mountains. It would snow like crazy, but then the same day, it could be 65 and sunny, and the snow would quickly melt. 12 inches of snow in AZ is far less trouble than 4 inches in NY. In AZ the roads never froze, because the daytime temps were almost never below freezing, and th roads were quickly plowed, so driving was never so bad. In NY it's a different story, it gets ICY, and stays that way.

I hated every stinking second I lived in Arizona, and it had NOTHING to do with the weather. Well, yeah, the lack of rain, and almost constant fear of forest fires, that got old fast.

If anyone is trying to figure out where to live, it's more than just "does it snow"??? It's all relative and there are many variables. Is its a place you can actually LIVE.

It's supposed to be 118 degrees for three days in PHX next week, but it's a dry heat.

Sounds like she's describing normal February in Southwest Michigan.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:33 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,081,601 times
They say Denver has 300 days a year of sun. Where was it when I was there??? I was there in March of 2002 and again in May of 2002. Gloom, gloom, gloom (I forgot to mention the rain). Now, in Southern California, we have our "June Gloom" - but it'll be over in July, and we'll have perfect sunny weather starting that time. It helps that you are close to the water also.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:41 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
They say Denver has 300 days a year of sun. Where was it when I was there??? I was there in March of 2002 and again in May of 2002. Gloom, gloom, gloom (I forgot to mention the rain). Now, in Southern California, we have our "June Gloom" - but it'll be over in July, and we'll have perfect sunny weather starting that time. It helps that you are close to the water also.
I do not specifically remember March and May of 2002. However, March is Denver's snowiest month and May is the rainiest, statistically. It is possible that there were some gloomy days during both your visits. My daughter graduated from high school on June 1, 2002 and the high for the day was 86 with no precip (I looked it up on wunderground.com). The next day, when we had her party the official high was 89, again with no precip. It felt MUCH hotter, and we couldn't get anyone to go outside because of the heat.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,209,767 times
Quote:
I am native to So. California, and love it here, but want to leave because I can no longer afford to live here. It is hard to decide where to move, because I've never even been in snow (don't laugh!), so I don't know what to expect if I had to live/drive in it. But is it worse than living in a place like AZ, where it gets to 110 degrees? Or Atlanta, where the humidity is bad? The heat in Cali is a dry heat, and can get to well over 100. At that point, I'm none-to-happy. But I've never delt with humidity or snow. Which is the worse of the 3 evils...snow, heat, humidity? And there is trying to find a place with the right weather, yet has affordable housing, good job market and low crime. Denver seems to be where my research keeps taking me, but that whole "snow thing" keeps me from being 100% commited to the idea. Has anyone delt with the 3 types of weather conditions?
I think snow would be worse,at it's worst it can pretty much paralyze a place.
If you're used to So. Cal weather it's best not to deviate too far from that and try to find something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or