U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think would be the better choice?
Memphis 4 21.05%
Louisville 14 73.68%
View 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2007, 01:44 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,434,552 times

Advertisements

Which do you think would be better for a single white guy (NOT conservative or religious at all!)

How do they differ?

How are they similar?

thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 05:47 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,383,455 times
My opinions of both places were formed a while back. I'd suggest you visit both. Louisville has become "upwardly mobile" lately, or so I've read.
Memphis seemed on the surface like a throwback city. It's a rough town.

If making the choice for myself, I'd go Louisville without hesitation.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:45 PM

6,561 posts, read 13,770,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Which do you think would be better for a single white guy (NOT conservative or religious at all!)

How do they differ?

How are they similar?

thanks
Louisville is more liberal. Louisville has cooler in town urban areas. Memphis has nothing like the Highlands, for example. I think Memphis' downtown is more fun right now, but the key word is right now, and Louisville is on a real roll lately. Nightlife is about the same. Louisville has a better club scene, and Memphis is better for live music and blues, and has more touristy dive bars to choose from. Memphis is way more southern. Both cities are virtually identical in size, but I think Louisville may be a little bigger. Louisville has a touch of midwestern flair too, and outstanding arts and restaurants. Demographically, Memphis has more minorities, but the median incomes and college graduates are in the similar range. Both cities are stocked with beautiful women, so they shouldn't be a problem for you. Louisville is better for college sports, but Memphis has the NBA now. Louisville is building a new downtown basketball arena, but there are no plans for the NBA in it (yet at least).

I agree with the above poster. There is a small bit of national "buzz" building about Louisville. It is clearly a city with upwardly mobile momentum. I think Memphis is, too, but Memphis has a bit higher drug and crime problem in town.

Actually, if I could pick a sister city for Louisville, I think Memphis would be it. Both are historic old river cities with a unique urban culture. I would give the nods to Louisville on this one simply because I have more experience in the ville, and I think it is becoming a pretty hot city these days. To give you an idea of the roll Louisville is on, here is a project about to break ground:

Museum Plaza - Creating A Place In Louisville's Architectural Character.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 PM

if the crime rate in memphis dropped to the same level in Louisville, would any of yall change your opinion?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:04 PM

dang, Memphis gets NO love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.