U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should the new capital be located?
Saint Louis 18 9.94%
Kansas City 11 6.08%
Denver 20 11.05%
Chicago 26 14.36%
Omaha 13 7.18%
Other, please specify 10 5.52%
Leave it where it is 92 50.83%
Don't care, I'm a secessionist anyway 6 3.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,812,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Now, given the above facts and perspective, do you STILL think there's another city that would be able to compete as a more appropriate location for the U.S. capital? If so, on what basis would that be? :-)
Yes, for safety, a city in the mountain west or midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM

2,778 posts, read 3,080,655 times
You make some good points for keeping it where it is, BigCityDreamer. I voted to move it to KC because it would be easier to protect it from attack, and to cut down on the travel time for people on the west coast to travel there. However, I think most people realize how expensive it would be to move it, and not good to abandon the historical aspect of DC, and the monuments, ect.

What concerns me is the inflated costs of running the residential sections of DC compared to other US cities of the same size. It inflates the costs of living in every way for the DC area, housing prices are rediculous when you consider most of the city is pretty much a ghetto. So I would propose shrinking the borders of DC to compose the core of the city where all the federal buildings are located, perhaps everything within a mile of the capitol building. The rest could be divided between Maryland and Virginia, and renamed North Washington, and South Washington. Each state could administer their half the way any other city in America is ran.

End the free ride for corrupt local officials, no more redundant jobs and affirmative action fluff that DC gets way more of than any other city. It would make it easier to clean the place up and gentrify more sections of the city. DC is our national capitol, it should be a nice city to live in, and a better reflection of the US population as a whole. It should not be a crime ridden cess pool, but more like what Paris is to France, something to be proud of.

Last edited by mofford; 12-20-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,237,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I like the creativity in your thread, but many will point out it's never going to happen. Which is true it really never is going to happen.

But Omaha is in the center of the country (almost).
So are Kansas City and St. Louis. I'm not even sure though why this is being debated, because like you said, it's never going to happen.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:30 PM

8,820 posts, read 10,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
What concerns me is the inflated costs of running the residential sections of DC compared to other US cities of the same size. It inflates the costs of living in every way for the DC area, housing prices are rediculous when you consider most of the city is pretty much a ghetto. .
You havent been to DC lately have you? try googling on "DC gentrification"

Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,540,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yes, for safety, a city in the mountain west or midwest.
How would this be safer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.