U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should the new capital be located?
Saint Louis 18 9.94%
Kansas City 11 6.08%
Denver 20 11.05%
Chicago 26 14.36%
Omaha 13 7.18%
Other, please specify 10 5.52%
Leave it where it is 92 50.83%
Don't care, I'm a secessionist anyway 6 3.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,126,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I voted St. Louis because it is near the center of the country.

And I read somewhere that there was a government deterance, and evacuation plan back in the 50's/60's to have important officials (The President and Congress) moved to St. Louis, but that was before M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) was a probable reality.
It was also seriously proposed in the 1840's as well. It was largely due to the serious possibility of a war with the UK at the time (Either Oregon territory issue and/or Mexican-American war spreads). The concern was that any war with the UK and they could of easily with the Royal Navy march in and burn the capital again. The reason was put the capital where it could not be taken/damaged/destroyed in an invasion.

It would only change at this point if the current capital became unusable for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,176,902 times
I don't think the capital should be moved from Washington, DC, but it MAY be a worthwhile idea to relocate the headquarters of various federal offices to other parts of the country, just for security purposes.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,006,273 times
We're talking about where we want to place our lovely politicians... That being said, I say we should place the capital in Detroit.
Joke!

I say it's fine where it is, but I guess it's location is an easy target if anything bad was to happen. I say Lexington, KY.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,867,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
We're talking about where we want to place our lovely politicians... That being said, I say we should place the capital in Detroit.
Joke!

I say it's fine where it is, but I guess it's location is an easy target if anything bad was to happen. I say Lexington, KY.
No man, I actually agree with you on the Detroit idea.

You're idea has two great benefits;

1. Politicians can get the real feel of how hard working American's are actually struggling in our economic times, they'll feel the "real world" at it's best.

2. It will give Detroit more government related jobs, meaning it will add to it's declining economy. That would take many people from their struggles to the next bill they have to pay while facing unemployment to be able to get through and live more comfortably. Not to mention airline travel would increase and it would create a lot of airport jobs and such.

-3. This one doesn't really count as a big plus, but IMHO, I think it would be. Delegation and foreign affairs with Canada would greatly improve.

Nice thinking man!!

Haha, but yes, our capital is at the best location right now that I can think of. How many cities can claim they were built simply to be our capital? Only one!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,006,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
No man, I actually agree with you on the Detroit idea.

You're idea has two great benefits;

1. Politicians can get the real feel of how hard working American's are actually struggling in our economic times, they'll feel the "real world" at it's best.

2. It will give Detroit more government related jobs, meaning it will add to it's declining economy. That would take many people from their struggles to the next bill they have to pay while facing unemployment to be able to get through and live more comfortably. Not to mention airline travel would increase and it would create a lot of airport jobs and such.

-3. This one doesn't really count as a big plus, but IMHO, I think it would be. Delegation and foreign affairs with Canada would greatly improve.

Nice thinking man!!

Haha, but yes, our capital is at the best location right now that I can think of. How many cities can claim they were built simply to be our capital? Only one!
These were my thoughts exactly when I thought "Detroit". Let these politicians commute through poverty, crime, and run-down neighborhoods to their job and get a grasp of what struggle is. PLUS Detroit would see a lot of improvement, and I can't think of another city that needs more improvement than Detroit.
Then again, DC is pretty shabby and crime ridden in good chunks of the city (nowhere near Detroit's status of course). I've see a good number of homeless people not too far from the white house, so IDK.

Last edited by BPerone201; 05-25-2010 at 12:51 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 AM

17,427 posts, read 19,700,616 times
Answer: the capital should remain Washington, D.C.

It's the only U.S. city with the world-famous classical building architecture, memorials, history and other qualities uniquely fit for a capital city. Moreover, it's already located in the most urban, populated and developed region of the U.S. today - the northeast corridor.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-25-2010 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,106,615 times
Figured I'd chime in. Live in the DC area and umm...no, leave it where it is. I hate moving.

While the idea of a capitol right smack dab in the middle of the country is pretty cool, would it really make a difference? The elitist east coast ivy leaguers have plenty of frequent flier miles. And we have yet to elect a president that actually grew up in or near DC. Also the DC area attracts people from all over the country not just the east coast. The government would be exactly the same as it is now and a lot of money would have been wasted.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 AM

50 posts, read 121,212 times
I like the idea of the capital in the middle of the country, since I myself believe that from the midwest to the west coast is REAL America. It's where pioneers started things that weren't directly influenced by Europe. But that's just my honest opinion.

I think if a new capital were chosen, it should be Boston. It's just so much more historic than DC and it's where the American Revolution started with the Boston Tea Party.

Just my $.02!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,627,946 times
Try to imagine what the bill for relocating the national capital would be. Is the OP willing to foot it? Because I sure am not.

Besides, what difference does it make where the government is located? Congress and the Senate still have to show up from their own districts. Moving the capital for the reasons suggested is nothing more than an illusion.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:38 AM

21,803 posts, read 19,464,329 times
No, I won't pay for it I have no idea what it would cost The Germans moved their capital from Bonn to Berlin, I wonder what they paid. Not to mention Brasilia, that was built from scratch in the middle of nowhere.

Regarding those politicians that have to show up, it would be easier for those from the West, fairer for everybody.

Someone mentioned safety. While a foreign navy is probably no longer a threat because speed and satellites, the center would be safer in case of a missile attack.

It might also symbolize the shift of importance away from Europe towards Pacific countries.

I wonder what it must feel like when you are seriously interested in national politics and live in L.A. or Alaska, while the capital is 3000 miles and four timezones away. Even here in tiny, unimportant Portugal people in the north feel they are neglected by faraway Lisbon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.