U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 21,313 times

Advertisements

hello all, we are a english couple who are looking to emigrate to the us in the next 5 years. we were origionally advised to research san diego, caflifornia but after doing so, we have found it ''not so suited'' to our lifestyle,due to living costs.

so we were wonering if you guys could maybee help us out with some suggestions that may suit us , as knowbody knows the place's better than the folk who live there.

ok..to help you help us -abit about us.

i (warren) am 23 and ashley is 21, we are planning to marry soon an our trying for our first child ( everybody think - boy boy boy haha ). due to our plans to have our child, we want a safe area that is famly orientated and preferably close to the coast. we are both personal trainers so need an area that we would be abled to get clients and there is plenty of gym's about. i am a bodybuilder so cheap food would be a massive advantage due to the ammount i eat. we would like to wn our own home therefore cheap housing woul be excellent. we looked into south carolina and a 4 bed home with pool was under 200k, here in england a 4 bed home with pool would be well over 500k. neither of us are religous but hold no opinions on others being so, however dont like religion pushed on us or being judge for it.

we would like a place that has no strong pre-jugments on the way people look ( other than the normal ) as i am a bodybuilder with both arms fully tattoo'd and i knw some people find the tattoo look rough or intimadating.

weather wise we are not massivly fused but would prefer hot weather, ( remember to us - 25C is hot hot , the average where we live in summer is about 16-20C lol )

we are not big drinkers ( due to training ) but would at least like the oportunity to go for a night out somewhere close ish if desired.

as iv stated we have started looking and sout carolina seems to fit alot of our lifestyle but would best be elpd by people who live in these areas

thank you in advance

warren and ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM

bump

Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,838,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren&ashley View Post
hello all, we are a english couple who are looking to emigrate to the us in the next 5 years. we were origionally advised to research san diego, caflifornia but after doing so, we have found it ''not so suited'' to our lifestyle,due to living costs.

so we were wonering if you guys could maybee help us out with some suggestions that may suit us , as knowbody knows the place's better than the folk who live there.

ok..to help you help us -abit about us.

i (warren) am 23 and ashley is 21, we are planning to marry soon an our trying for our first child ( everybody think - boy boy boy haha ). due to our plans to have our child, we want a safe area that is famly orientated and preferably close to the coast. we are both personal trainers so need an area that we would be abled to get clients and there is plenty of gym's about. i am a bodybuilder so cheap food would be a massive advantage due to the ammount i eat. we would like to wn our own home therefore cheap housing woul be excellent. we looked into south carolina and a 4 bed home with pool was under 200k, here in england a 4 bed home with pool would be well over 500k. neither of us are religous but hold no opinions on others being so, however dont like religion pushed on us or being judge for it.

we would like a place that has no strong pre-jugments on the way people look ( other than the normal ) as i am a bodybuilder with both arms fully tattoo'd and i knw some people find the tattoo look rough or intimadating.

weather wise we are not massivly fused but would prefer hot weather, ( remember to us - 25C is hot hot , the average where we live in summer is about 16-20C lol )

we are not big drinkers ( due to training ) but would at least like the oportunity to go for a night out somewhere close ish if desired.

as iv stated we have started looking and sout carolina seems to fit alot of our lifestyle but would best be elpd by people who live in these areas

thank you in advance

warren and ashley
In addition to South Carolina, I'd look at North Carolina too. It's more progressive, has bigger cities that are growing more rapidly and is less "religious" on the whole than South Carolina. To further narrow your search, you can look directly on the coast in places like Wilmington but the best cities with the most to offer families are going to be more inland. The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is particularly good for young families. It's upscale, rapidly growing and more progressive and "open" compared to many of the other affordable areas in the south Atlantic US.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:10 PM

thank you for the help, i will definatley add north carolina to the research, inland a bit more wouldnt be to bad if the coast was in driving distance of tube/train. hear in england we live about a 20 min drive and thats not too bad. from research so far i foun south carolina to be very religious and worried that i woulnt get many clients in a strict religious area, as i have skulls and demons tattoo'd all over both arms lol, shame as im no devil worshiper or anything just like the look lol.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,096,460 times
What about like Houston Texas? big city near the coast and texas has a pretty good economy

Visit Houston Texas - Tourism, Houston Events, Special Offers, Info & More! - Greater Houston CVB

Greater Houston Partnership | Advocacy for Houston's Business Community

Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 PM

thans mate, ill have a look at houston too, although this may sound really dumb but i have a massive fear of snakes, and one of my das friens lives on a ranch in texas and says he sees them alot haha

Old 05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,916,505 times
I would look for the job first. South Carolina is more religious than North Carolina? That is just an opinion. I would say the opposite is true. I just don't know where your market would be. Who uses a personal trainer? Charlotte has a business that advertises this, but it is at least three hours from the beach. Hilton Head, South Carolina would be more likely to have people that could afford this service, but I would think your arms would look a little rough for conservative Hilton Head.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:43 PM

thanks for the input, lots of people over here use personal trainers from young gym goers and students to old men and women who just want to keep fit. obviously the market is different all over. it easier for us to work in big brand gyms as its more them type of people who us pt's thank you

Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,895,680 times
Good luck legally immigrating as personal trainers...

You do not qualify for the diversity visa or self-petition, probably don't have a spare $500,000 to invest for an investment visa, but perhaps you may find an employer wishing to sponsor you. Or perhaps you have family who can sponsor you.

If it were so easy to just change countries, I would up and move to Canada or somewhere in Western Europe tomorrow!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM

357 posts, read 1,700,429 times
Emigrating is a big decision and there are loads of websites catered to expats. Not sure if this is the best site for that. Especially British expats, it seems like more UK citizens leave the UK than Americans and Canadians. However, your inquiry is quite general. What type of community would you like to live in? America is a huge country as you already know and there are so many places to choose from. Just like Europe, some places may be appealing to your and others not so. Hot weather, well Southern Calif, (San Diego is a favorite of mine) Hawaii, SOuth Florida, Arizona, but these places will tend to be more expensive. If weather doesnt bother you and like living near the coast, i would suggest the Pacific Northwest (Seattle-great economy) Portland, Oregon (great city, very eco friendly, non religious) However this region gets a lot of rain-kinda like the UK. San Francisco is a great city, kind of European, very liberal and the weather stays pretty mild most of the year. However it is expensive too. South Carolina, although beautiful in parts(love charleston, which is on the coast) However, inland SC, where lots of New Yorkers and Floridians have moved to for cheaper prices might not be your cup of tea. It still is more religious, conservative, Southern values, which is not for everyone. Although, as I said Charleston is really a beautiful city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.