Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris000 View Post
So the appeal of Middle America is that is has less gangs than the 2 most populated cities in the country and one other city?
Yes. (http://www.fbi.gov/publications/ngta2009.pdf - broken link) Less gangs, and crime in general as a region.
And, for taking my post out of context, you get:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 03:29 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I always thought it was the "Midwestern Values " Much of the heartland was settled by religious sects and agrarian types. There is a stretch of highway between Wichita and Salina KS. that use to have at least five or six Religious colleges in area that IMO is not that heavily populated.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:50 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
"Middle America" might also be known for steak. There's lots of cows in Middle America and I think Chicago is even known for connections to the commodities market.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:47 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Back to the topic. I have always liked visiting Middle America. I had to go to Sioux Falls the other week for work and I loved it! I also love going to Wisconsin (which is easily the most underrated state for its beauty). Madison is a hell of a town! Ive even found the charm in Cedar Rapids, Fargo, and Minot. Michigan is full of lush trees and hills. People automatically think Detroit when they think of Michigan, but Ill be the first to say there is so much more to it. Some of the most fun Ive had, I had with buddies in Traverse City.

You can find the postive and beauty in any place if you are open to it. I have found lots of it in the Midwest and I always look forward to another visit!
Having an open mind about where you travel is always the best thing to do.

I never set any expectations from anywhere I go, even before I go to NYC, I think to myself as it having nothing, and when I get back from my trip, I have the time of my life, because I simply didn't have expectations that could not have been met.

I have had a great time in every city I've gone too, even college my first year in Ann Arbor was amazing, and it's a very underrated city even for Michigan it is. It's a beautiful city.

I always go into a city without having a list of expectations, so that way when I get back home, I can recount how nicely my trip went.

And you're right there's something amazing about any place, you just have to embrace it with an open mind.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
No they wouldnt. Frankly, youre just making that up. There is no way on earth you could prove it. You could attempt, but it would just be a huge manipulation of "picking and choosing" of statistics.

Not only that, but dont throw Dallas under that bus. Its only 340 square miles of land. Either way, Dallas county is 880 square miles of land and it contains more people than the entire Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Cincinnatti metro areas (not combined, individually). Not only that, but it takes up less land than those as well.

Dont counter obnoxious Texans who make bad arguments with bad arguments of your own. Its just stooping to their level. I hate it when people come out like that and insult a place without really having any clue. I think anyone who thinks Middle America is just a bunch of cows and farms is an idiot. I share the frustration with the Texas board of education (who should all be flogged for being idiots).

Is Texas near the end of its boom? Absolutely not. It wont not always be going at the way it is, but its not stopping soon.

Back to the topic. I have always liked visiting Middle America. I had to go to Sioux Falls the other week for work and I loved it! I also love going to Wisconsin (which is easily the most underrated state for its beauty). Madison is a hell of a town! Ive even found the charm in Cedar Rapids, Fargo, and Minot. Michigan is full of lush trees and hills. People automatically think Detroit when they think of Michigan, but Ill be the first to say there is so much more to it. Some of the most fun Ive had, I had with buddies in Traverse City.

You can find the postive and beauty in any place if you are open to it. I have found lots of it in the Midwest and I always look forward to another visit!
You sound so sure of this lol, but yet you're wrong. AT LEAST several of those I mentioned will have more in 500 sq miles, I'm not 100% on all of them. I will prove it when I have more time (maybe tomorrow), it's pretty simple, take the county and some change around it, add the population of those areas and add their land area.

Cuyahoga County (Clevelands county) alone has nearly 1.3 million now, by itself, in 458 sq miles. And this is after the county it lost over 100k in the last 20 years (it was over 1.4 million). Add several of the surrounding areas and it's easily more than both Dallas and San Antonio. Look, add N Ridgeville at 28,000 people in 23.4 sq miles. Willowick 15,000 in 2.5 sq. miles. Brunswick 34,000 in 12.5 sq miles. That's well more than both in less than (500) sq miles.

This is not even the main point of my argument so I don't see why you would point that out, he simply stated this idiotic statement which was not well thought out. Don't stoop to his level and defend his incorrect argument.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:23 PM

489 posts, read 1,325,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I said that on the very first page, and also my first time posting in this thread. Did you even read that part of the thread? Here's the exact quote:

Post#6
Actually, you didn't say that. The post you are referring to simply says "fewer gangs", but doesn't say as compared to what. How would I know if you meant fewer gangs than all other regions, fewer gangs than one specific region, or fewer gangs than certain cities? That's why when your other post said "fewer gangs than NYC, LA, Miami" I figured that's what you were talking about in your first post.

So if I misunderstood, I apologize, but there's no need to act like I'm dumb or can't read when I did read your other post and it didn't say what you were comparing Middle America against.

I guess you meant as opposed to East and West Coast metros, since that was the original comparison made by the OP, but I didn't think that's what you meant since that would be a pretty broad generalization. The Northeast vs. the Southeast vs. California vs. the Pacific Northwest = four unique regions, so it just seems that it would be hard to say for sure that Middle America has less gangs or whatever than all of these areas.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:49 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
I never said anything about them being larger than the DFW metro. I don't think any of them would be but like you said possibly Detroit, if it was done fairly (I believe it should include a larger area).

I know about the urban area thing, and again it's biased against NE Ohio. The fact that Lorain-Elyria is not counted as part of the Cleveland urban area is ridiculous, meanwhile you have all these "urban areas" in other states with multiple places counted. Akron is not included in the Cleveland area either, and you would think it would at least have Canton included in it's area, but neither. So, we have Cleveland, Lorain-Elyria, Akron, Canton, and Ashtabula (did I miss any???) that are all counted as seperate "urban areas" meanwhile other areas across the country are counted together, makes no sense. ALSO, that map doesn't even include communities bordering the showed Cleveland urban area with high populations and/or densities. Another thing is the areas directly surrounding that area only have less density because they're wealthy areas with large houses, why aren't they counted?

And that's just NE Ohio, I'm sure there are other areas, but from what I see most of the other ones look fair.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Lol, reading that I should feel more like this but I actually LOLed
Haha, you know I love my Houston comrades!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 PM

186 posts, read 219,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcs View Post
And best of all, fewer people.

haha I was thinking the same thing!! No stepping on people's toes or getting drooled on by the sleeping guy on the A train- and that's if you're lucky enough to even find a seat.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:34 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
What is the allure of the Midwest? I think the answer is different people have different views.

To some it is the great cities and to others it is personal space. As a whole the Midswest can be defined bt geographic location and topography. It is the "bread basket" of America with its 1000 acre farms abd ranches. It is is small mountain ranges, national forests, Great Lakes. rivers great and small, wetlands, Mississippi Flyway, natural habitat, caverns and high bluffs, Plains, capitol cities,rolling hills, and natural beauty that is unspoiled by steel and concrete. It is history and culture, diverse religious practice, performing arts, symphony, ballet, opera, upscale shopping and dining, great universiites, historical figures, opportunities to explore an learn, hunting fishing, exports, regional products and foods, Events that national and regional, the zoological parks and botanica, the skycrapers and museums, but most of all it is about the people.for without the pepple the midwest would still be a wilderness. For some it is the four seasons or getting away form the big city, while for others it is hiking or hunting or sailing, or simply enjouing the quiet 10,000 acres void of people and machinery offer.

This thread is not about negativity or one area is better than another; that is personal opinion. You can find people who hate and negativity in every town in America. Visitors who look for something to dislike about an area can quickly find it. Conversely it possible to fnd surprisies in the Midwest in the least unexpected places, too.

All htese things acan be found in the Midwest but there is a caveat. The visitor has to get out of the clouds and put feet on the ground to find it. It is impossible to pin generaoities like "it"s all beer drinkers" or it is all "cown and corn" based on interstate routes or one particular area as it is quite possible to find beer, wine liquor, cows and corn in every state in the Midwest and in most regions in the united states. My particular view of life comes from living and traveong in the Midwest and Southwest plus Canada for the better part pf 70 years. I do not view the Midwest the same as a student or lifelong resident of a large metropolitan area. or even as a resident of another state who has only passed through the area a few times. There is good and bad in every state for anyone to find. .

Last edited by linicx; 06-22-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.