Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you left out saint louis and detroit. i will echo the cost of living allure. you can live like a king in the midwest for a fraction of the cost of living on the coasts. and you don't necessarily have to sacrifice anything either.
"Live like a king in the Midwest" Only in a very few select locations where wages are actually fairly high. To live in the Midwest I have to be by a large lake or woods. Otherwise, it is not worth it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"Live like a king in the Midwest" Only in a very few select locations where wages are actually fairly high. To live in the Midwest I have to be by a large lake or woods. Otherwise, it is not worth it to me.
You hit that on the head.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:44 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
How so? Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois are all in the top 10 for population. My area of Ohio with 5 million people is certainly not country and desolate.

Parts of Ohio do feel more crowded. After all there are quite a few big cities there. However Illinois is really only crowded near Chicago, and St Louis. Michigan outside of the Detroit area is almost downright empty. Five million of the nine million that live in Michigan are in 3 or 4 counties in the southeast corner. The other 80 counties contain the rest. For comparison New Jersey has close to the same amount of people that Michigan does. How many NJs would fit within Michigans boundrys??? Even Detroit area seems spread out compared to the densly populated eastern states. It is true that the midwest has fewer people, no doubt about it.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I mentioned Detroit and at the time was in Detroit. I love that city, can't believe I left it out of that list!!!

Saint Louis is nice, but I think it's a bit more southern than midwestern. It honestly feels far closer to Memphis than Des Moines or Milwaukee
St. Louis is NOT Memphis or Louisville. I really wish people would stop comparing us to these cities. I feel as if people make these comparison without truly experiencing the city. St. Louis is NOT a southern town. If anything the neighborhoods of Des Moines and Milwaukee shares more in common with Memphis. St. Louis is a solid, red brick city and is arguably the second most urban city in the Midwest after Chicago. St. Louis has a lot in common with cities like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Its a lower Midwestern city, but definitely NOT southern.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,610,953 times

YouTube - HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO

YouTube - Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt

All kidding aside, I think it goes back to the whole "Americana" thing of agriculture, family, church and nature. Personally, I've always been curious to visit the midwest and south and see for myself what it's all about. Most of the people I've met from there have been cool beans and very friendly.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
[quote=goat314;
For example, I spent many years of my life growing up in St. Louis City and there was nothing particularly "Middle American", conservative, or wholesome about my upbringing. I grew up in a pretty crowded urban neighborhood, got used to urban blight, knew plenty of "gays" and "illegals", witnessed robberies, been a victim of crime, seen friends start drug dealing, commonly saw friends smoking weed, seen truckers soliciting prostitution off highway exits, seen people fighting in the streets and back alleys, witnessed a man walking down the street with a handgun, etc. etc. etc.

That being said I've also done a lot of positive things in my city like... [/QUOTE]

Kind of typical conservative midwestern of you don't you think to place having to know "gays" and "illegals" among the opposite of positive things in your city?

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-05-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 01:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Kind of typical conservative midwestern of you don't you think to place having to know "gays" and "illegals" among the opposite of positive things in your city?
How? I was just pointing out things that people don't typically think of when they think of "Middle America" or conservative. I'm not a conservative by any means. Did you read the whole post or are you jumping to your own assumptions about "typical midwestern"?

Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Parts of Ohio do feel more crowded. After all there are quite a few big cities there. However Illinois is really only crowded near Chicago, and St Louis. Michigan outside of the Detroit area is almost downright empty. Five million of the nine million that live in Michigan are in 3 or 4 counties in the southeast corner. The other 80 counties contain the rest. For comparison New Jersey has close to the same amount of people that Michigan does. How many NJs would fit within Michigans boundrys??? Even Detroit area seems spread out compared to the densly populated eastern states. It is true that the midwest has fewer people, no doubt about it.
Yeah, but most people don't live in the country areas -- like any state in the United States, outside the Northeast. Even Ohio is in top 10 for population density. I guess what I'm saying is, there is a drastically different populations / densities in the Midwest. Ohio is nothing like North Dakota or South Dakota, etc... I'd actually go out on a limb and say that the South and West is just as sparsely populated.

http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/pop...sadensityh.htm

Just this whole thread and the "allure" of the middle america is weird to me. Middle America is a VERY large area and the Midwest is an outdated term. Looking at a map, it's pretty evident that where I am in Ohio is so far east, it has absolutely nothing in common with Iowa, N. Dakota, S. Dakota, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, etc, etc. Many people get the perception of the midwest based on those states and somehow automatically think Ohio (or other similar states) are the same. It's like Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania is just far enough east that it's completely different... I just don't understand it, maybe it's because I've traveled the US more than most people on here (or atleast it seems).

Old 07-05-2010, 01:37 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
What are you talking about?

Blue = voted democratic... hmm so Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota etc are actually conservative?

Do you think there are no illegals or immigrants in the midwest either? LOL, I think Californians need to leave their state and actually do some research before posting nonsensical bullcrap.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
What are you talking about?

Blue = voted democratic... hmm so Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota etc are actually conservative?

Do you think there are no illegals or immigrants in the midwest either? LOL, I think Californians need to leave their state and actually do some research before posting nonsensical bullcrap.
That map is a nice broad brush look, but a lot of those states that went Democratic or Republican did so by by a small percentage, with individual counties going the opposite. Most of Michigan IS conservative overall, with the larger cities leaning more Liberal which takes the whole state to the Democratic side. The areas that did vote Liberal did so by small margins

Last edited by Bydand; 07-05-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.