Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:59 PM

12 posts, read 28,575 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the South my entire life, central rural Alabama to be precise. I'm interested in finding out whether the following things are prevalent (or if they even exist) in other parts of the country, or if they are part of the culture of the South. I'd love to get some opinions from people from different parts of the country.

1. The Confederate Flag is Everywhere

I thought I'd start with an easy one. Where I live, you can't drive 5 minutes in any direction without seeing one. They're everywhere. I know many people have differing opinions on the significance or symbolism of the flag, but that's for another day. I'm just curious if you see them all over the place like you do here. I see them on flag poles, hanging in windows of homes, on t-shirts, on the backs of cars and trucks, on license plates, painted on vehicles, tattooed on people, you name it. The "Dixie Outfitters" line of clothing is also very popular where I live.

2. Christian Crosses at the Site of a Traffic Fatality

When someone dies in a car accident, many times you will see little memorials of crosses at the site of the accident pop up almost immediately. I've seen some of these last for years. I drove by somewhere around 30 of them on the way to work today.

3. Camouflage Clothing

I'm not talking "urban camo" or anything like that. What I'm talking about is the hardcore Realtree/Mossy Oak stuff that the hunters wear. Everyone wears camo around here. Go out to any public place in my town at any time of year and you'll see a good majority of the population dressed as if they just got back from a month in the woods. Jackets, pants, shirts, hats, everything. Many people even paint their cars and trucks in camo.

4. Your Name on Your Car

Tons of people put their name on their car around here. I've seen lots of first names near the door handle on the door of a truck, names on the windshield in vinyl, I've even seen a couple of full names on the back of cars.

5. NASCAR

Is this one a local favorite or a national pastime? You can't throw a rock around here without hitting a guy wearing a Dale Earnhardt hat, t-shirt, and sunglasses, getting of out a truck with a Dale Earnhardt graphic taking up half the back glass. NASCAR is seriously HUGE in this region. You see the drivers on billboards and plastered all over every product imaginable in most any store you enter.

6. John Deere

This one is right up there with NASCAR. I see people every day wearing John Deere branded clothing (along with their camo) and driving vehicles with John Deere logos plastered all over them.

7. Eulogizing the Dead on Your Car

I only started noticing this one maybe 5 or 6 years ago, but I see it all the time now. "Rest in Peace" or "With the Angels Now" and the name of the deceased, along with the dates, in 8 inch vinyl letters on the back of a car or truck. Some even have photos of the dead made into a sticker that they place next to the name. I see MANY of these whenever I'm driving around. Maybe every 10th or 15th vehicle. Is this common in other regions?I'm just looking for a little outside perspective.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, I'll be watching this thread!

Last edited by Area_Man7; 03-29-2010 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: I made a typo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 PM

609 posts, read 1,259,658 times
2, 4, and 7 are things i see a lot in california

Old 03-29-2010, 04:44 PM

47 posts, read 205,267 times
Being in east central Virginia I can say yes to all of these at least to some extent.

1.) I wouldn't say the confederate flag is everywhere, but it is relatively common to see it on shirts, hats, back of trucks, etc.

2.) Crosses and flowers are often put at the sight of fatal traffic accidents.

3.) Here camoflauge clothing is everywhere. Also, it's not a white thing. Many black people where camoflauge here (realtree, mossy oak,etc).

4.) I haven't seen too many names on cars other than on license plates. Trucks are another story. Many people have customized phrases, such as nicknames, written in their back glass in vinyl.

5.) NASCAR is big with Richmond being nearby and many people participate in dirt track stock car racing.

6.) John Deere clothing is popular here, even among kids and females.

7.) Many people here also have phrases on their vehicles to remember thedeceased.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
2,4, and 7 are definitely true in Texas, mainly among Hispanics.

1 is definitely true for Georgia. The flag was everywhere when I lived in the deep heart of Georgia.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,292 times
I'm a California native, living in Nevada:

Never seen a Confederate flag in person
Seen plenty of crosses at traffic fatality sites
Never seen anyone in hunting gear
Don't really see people's names on their cars
NASCAR is somewhat popular, but not super popular
John Deere...heard of it, but don't even know exactly what it is
Eulogies on cars...somewhat common

Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
As far as living in Iowa and Chicago:

1) I know I've seen pictures of the confederate flag at some point, and I could probably pick it out if shown, but I have no idea what it looks like off the top of my head. I think it's red, with a circle of stars maybe (?) Up here it mostly just stands for bigotry and is more offensive than not, but I couldn't tell you the last time it's ever come up in conversation. Culturally it has nothing to do with the north.

2) I think these are everywhere. Crosses and flowers (usually fake). As far as seeing dozens of them just driving to work - I never see more than maybe one or possibly two a day driving around. Either people where you are must keep them up for years and years, or there are a LOT of traffic fatalities in that area.

3) In Iowa I would occasionally see camouflage if I was in a smaller town and people were out hunting, but not in the cities where I lived/visited. I would see it from time to time though, but not on a regular basis. In Chicago and the burbs I never see any.

4) I've never seen anyone put their name on their cars in Iowa. In Chicago I see some words in cursive written on cars at the top of the windshield or on the back, but never bothered to see what they said. Normally more in hispanic areas.

5) A couple people in Iowa were NASCAR fans, but living in the city they were kinda teased. I've never heard anything about NASCAR in Chicago or known anyone to be a fan, but I'm sure there are here and there.

6) Growing up in Iowa Deere was huge since it was all based right there, and there were a lot of farmers. Never seen anything Deere in Chicago though except people who wear Deere caps around trying to be "trendy".

7) Never heard of this either - but I suppose it goes along with #4.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
The only thing we do on that list in the NYC region is the whole crosses where people died in an accident with flowers. #4 and #7 seem weird as hell in my opinion.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
I've seen 2, 4 and 7 in every ghetto of most cities I've been to.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 PM

287 posts, read 497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidewater50 View Post
Being in east central Virginia I can say yes to all of these at least to some extent.

1.) I wouldn't say the confederate flag is everywhere, but it is relatively common to see it on shirts, hats, back of trucks, etc.

2.) Crosses and flowers are often put at the sight of fatal traffic accidents.

3.) Here camoflauge clothing is everywhere. Also, it's not a white thing. Many black people where camoflauge here (realtree, mossy oak,etc).

4.) I haven't seen too many names on cars other than on license plates. Trucks are another story. Many people have customized phrases, such as nicknames, written in their back glass in vinyl.

5.) NASCAR is big with Richmond being nearby and many people participate in dirt track stock car racing.

6.) John Deere clothing is popular here, even among kids and females.

7.) Many people here also have phrases on their vehicles to remember thedeceased.

I thought Virgina was more northeastern in culture. Maybe that is just some areas.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Speaking from my POV living in Charlotte and also visiting Raleigh frequently:

1. Hardly ever. The only people I ever see wearing anything confederate here and in Raleigh are high school aged kids who think they are rebels. You're more likely to see them in Eastern rural NC although honestly I don't see very many anyway.

2. Seen this in Illinois, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

3. Hardly ever.

4. Sometimes but it's generally on souped-up cars or trucks.

5. It's a big deal in Charlotte as it brings in a lot of money. Not so much in Raleigh, I hardly ever see or hear anything about it there. I'm a native NC'er btw and I personally am not into it.

6. I've seen this one in Rural Illinois and rural Pennsylvania, I remember wearing a JD trucker hat was a popular fad back around '03. I think it was Ashton Kutcher who popularized it.

7. Sometimes but it's almost always on a souped-up car like a Honda Civic coupe. Don't think I've ever seen a mini-van or a BWM with one.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 03-29-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.