U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 06:10 PM

673 posts, read 3,751,948 times

Advertisements

Denver, Colorado: Seems like people are ultra-ultra neighborly here compared to other cities, just a very, very strong sense of community overall.
Pueblo, Colorado: Does almost everyone know almost everyone else here? How often do they see them. When ive been in Pueblo its like they think not seeing the same person for a week is a long time!
Pittsburgh, PA
Columbus, Ohio: Lots of neighborhoods outside of OSU area that havent had in-migration where people live for decades, people tend to take pride in their homes compared to other cities and keep their neighborhoods clean
Louisville, Ohio: Rude to newcomers, seems to small-townish socially for the 16th largest city in america but it seems like when I was there alot of people just walking around would always be running into people they knew
St. Paul, MN: Very, very community oriented, it seems like a very, very close-knit community overall for its size.
St. Cloud, MN: Same as St. Paul. In fact St. Cloud is like St. Paul minus a few classy neighborhoods.
Fargo, ND: Very little in-migration except for college students so in the neighborhoods people are very, very close knit and seem to know just about everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 07:29 PM

86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
You left off an assessment of Pittsburgh. It has a strong sense of community, so strong, in fact, that newcomers sometimes feel on the outside looking in. It's one of those places where you have to live a long time before you are considered a 'real' resident.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,036,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Denver, Colorado: Seems like people are ultra-ultra neighborly here compared to other cities, just a very, very strong sense of community overall.
Pueblo, Colorado: Does almost everyone know almost everyone else here? How often do they see them. When ive been in Pueblo its like they think not seeing the same person for a week is a long time!
Pittsburgh, PA
Columbus, Ohio: Lots of neighborhoods outside of OSU area that havent had in-migration where people live for decades, people tend to take pride in their homes compared to other cities and keep their neighborhoods clean
Louisville, Ohio: Rude to newcomers, seems to small-townish socially for the 16th largest city in america but it seems like when I was there alot of people just walking around would always be running into people they knew
St. Paul, MN: Very, very community oriented, it seems like a very, very close-knit community overall for its size.
St. Cloud, MN: Same as St. Paul. In fact St. Cloud is like St. Paul minus a few classy neighborhoods.
Fargo, ND: Very little in-migration except for college students so in the neighborhoods people are very, very close knit and seem to know just about everyone
interesting denver's on this list. in my experience, it doesn't seem like a very strong sense of community there. the locals seem to have a stronger sense of community and a more "rooted" feel, somehow. but there are so many (largely midwestern) transplants there (and tourists of other sorts) that it actually has sort of a clique-ish feel (and not townees versus outsiders, more like very localized groups of friends) that seems a little tricky to break into, relatively (from what i'd seen and what i've heard from others).

Old 06-20-2007, 01:14 PM

I think Denver has a strong sense of community in the sense that most people there really like it, and are constantly asking newcomers "how do you like Denver", with the expectation of hearing "I just LOVE it". Sometimes they are shocked when people say "It's OK", or "It's hard to find a job here", or "I miss rain", or whatever. I had those experiences when I first moved here.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:42 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,036,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I think Denver has a strong sense of community in the sense that most people there really like it, and are constantly asking newcomers "how do you like Denver", with the expectation of hearing "I just LOVE it". Sometimes they are shocked when people say "It's OK", or "It's hard to find a job here", or "I miss rain", or whatever. I had those experiences when I first moved here.
that's so funny! yeah, people in the area can seem to almost require that you "LOVE it!" and take offense, almost, to "well, i like this or that, but maybe not this other thing quite as much." i've even had someone take offense (and seem to avoid me thereafter) evidently because when they asked "does it feel sort of midwestern to you?" i said "yeah, sort of".

Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
that's so funny! yeah, people in the area can seem to almost require that you "LOVE it!" and take offense, almost, to "well, i like this or that, but maybe not this other thing quite as much." i've even had someone take offense (and seem to avoid me thereafter) evidently because when they asked "does it feel sort of midwestern to you?" i said "yeah, sort of".
Too funny! And very true. My cousins from Dalls think the housing looks very midwestern, BTW.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 AM

45 posts, read 131,944 times
Almost anywhere in the great state of Ohio. I lived there for 24 years, moved out to the DC area, and am coming back after a year. I actually met more people back home in Ohio than I did in DC. Acquaintanceship is common in the DC area, but true friends are very hard to find. I will be so thrilled to know my neighbors again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or