Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:50 PM

14 posts, read 45,479 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a Washington, DC suburb (VA) and lived in DC itself for 7 years. My husband grew up in Brooklyn, NY and also lived in DC for 7 years.

7 years ago (7 year itch, anyone?) we moved to CO. We spent a year in Boulder and have lived in Denver for the rest of the time.

However, CO was supposed to be a "temporary" location for grad school.

What we love about Denver:
-We live in the Highlands neighborhood, which is friendly, great for young families like ours, and walkable.
-The sun!
-Standard of living, cost of living

What we don't love:
-We are NOT snow people. We've never been skiing while we lived here and don't really have a desire.
-Being landlocked. As East Coasters, we're used to being able to drive a few hours to a different city, the beach, etc. and we VERY much miss that.

My family is currently in nomadic mode, so while we'd like to be close to them, we have no idea where they will end up (AZ? DC?). My in-laws will always be in NYC.

We are looking for:
-Close standard of living to Denver
-Warmer than Denver (ie less snow)
-4 seasons (but, ahem, an abbreviated winter would be just fine)
-Proximity (ish) to NYC
-Proximity (ish) to water - ideally the ocean but we'll take a big lake
-Ethnic diversity
-Good public or charter schools (also ethnically diverse)
-City culture: theaters, art galleries, museums, etc.

We both work in education, which makes for a somewhat easily transferable job.

Currently on our radar is the Raleigh-Durham area. I think Austin seems great, but not too much closer to family than Denver. Are there any gems we don't know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,786,135 times
Stick with Austin...... or even Dallas/Houston I say this with good intentions..first of all...It really amazes me that people are still looking to relocate to NC...As a native of NC and having been to Raleigh....just dont see the hoopla about NC...Me personally....relocating out west...Better opportunities/More of a cultural arts scene...Bottom line is this NC can be very conservative, very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the state for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...I encourage to come and spend at least 3-4 days here....and make your determination...Good Luck to ya.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,609,499 times
I would check out Houston,Dallas or Austin

Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,973,745 times
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 AM

I heard that Pittsburgh is on the upswing too....

Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Hm, Pittsburgh is probably too cold and gray for us. I'm looking for a location where there won't be snow on the ground on Halloween or Easter. Originally we moved out of DC because it was too gray there, so heading farther north/midwest won't work.

DC is probably the closest to what we're looking for, but cost of living and traffic are huge deterrents.

Thanks for the responses, please keep them coming!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Stick with Austin...... or even Dallas/Houston I say this with good intentions..first of all...It really amazes me that people are still looking to relocate to NC...As a native of NC and having been to Raleigh....just dont see the hoopla about NC...Me personally....relocating out west...Better opportunities/More of a cultural arts scene...Bottom line is this NC can be very conservative, very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the state for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...I encourage to come and spend at least 3-4 days here....and make your determination...Good Luck to ya.
I'm surprised at this response, mostly because I've been lurking a little on the Raleigh boards and it doesn't seem like most who live there feel this way.

We have really enjoyed the West but at heart we are East Coasters and looking to head back that way.

ETA: Our son is 18 months old, so we are absolutely into the family thing, and within the next 5 years, our life definitely will be driving our kids to sports, etc. so that is appealing to us. However. We'd love a place with museums to take the kids to, restaurants to explore (we're foodies) on date nights, concerts to go to, and whatnot.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 AM

Much Respect here Boss....Just saying..that lifestyle is appealing for people who want it.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM

92,298 posts, read 122,548,691 times
What about the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia? It seems to fit what you want.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:45 PM

^You think so? We should consider it; think there is a strong military vibe there? We lean strongly on the liberal/bohemian/crunchy end of things. Crunchy and military don't always mix so nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.