U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 PM

584 posts, read 1,764,178 times

Advertisements

When trying to figure out where you want to live in the United States, and loving lots of different things from different areas, how would you determine where to move/live? What are the most important factors? Or what are some factors that most don't think about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 PM

311 posts, read 692,821 times
-Cost of living has to be considered, as well as job availability.

-Crime isn't a huge deal to me, I figure if you shop around before you move, and be smart after you move, you can avoid crime.

-Weather isn't a huge issue. I've lived in hot, humid areas my whole life, so I'm used to it. I figure I can bundle up for the cold alot easier than I can cool off in the heat.

-Things to do in the surrounding area is an important one. I don't have to have some new adventure every weekend, but I'd at least like a little variety.

I'm pretty easy to please.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:17 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,961,450 times
-A fairly dense population density (6000+)/Good Public Transportation
-Four seasons with a good amount of snow. (A good amount of rain in spring - Warm/Hot summers)
-Affordable! Meaning buying a decent/nice home under 120K isn't near impossible.
-Good schools
-Diversity (racially tolerant)
-Greenery- lots of vegetation
-A river and/or lake(s) with parks.
-A community that has a good amount oof events and festivals (Winterfest, Octoberfest, St Patricks day parade etc)
-A place where cops worry more about ACTUAL criminals.
-A place where taxes aren't too low, but a place where taxes aren't too high. (either of the extreme can ruin a place)
-A place with older architecture throughout

Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,529,289 times
The first thing I'd consider is whether or not I really want to live in a given place. Because if I don't, then none of the other possible variables matters.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,654,775 times
jobs, income, public transportation, things to do, etc.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,929,817 times
Determining factors in relocating are Quality of Life/Affordability/Cost of Living/Diversity/Unemployment rate is a huge factor.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 PM

39 posts, read 121,319 times
I would also add that access to excellent hospitals, doctors, dentists, etc., would be an important factor. It's best to determine what sort of health care you have available before you need it, not after the fact.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,487,957 times
Sometimes you find the places don't fit the person no matter what they try to do. Bend this way bend that way nothing seems to fit. Give in on one part of your criteria and then another and nothing seems to fit right. I think for those that have a strong leaning towards public transit in America will have a very difficult time. Especially if they are not someone that can live in the nations biggest cities.

Add it all up. We all have needs and some have greater needs. You need affordable, unemployment that is not off the charts. quality hospitals and doctors that are taking new patients. Grocery stores that are not just catering to certain segments of the population. (that does exist in some grocery chains like Safeway). You need if in a Metro some kind of efficent transit be it only a bus system it can be hard to find anything that is decent.

We can't all and don't want to live in NYC where many things are available outside your residence. So finding a place to figure out where to live requires alot of homework

Figure out your needs your interests and take it from there and join the club. Eventually something will pop up, but you will probably find you had to cross off alot on your criteria list.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,766,344 times
if i was settling down in a particular city for an extended period of time the factors i would look at are

- city size
- climate
- walkability of neighborhoods i would spend my time in
- public transport
- airport connections (how connected is it to the other cities i like to spend time?)
- nightlife

i take these things factors very seriously and will not move to a city if it doesn't meet my requirements. as of right now, there are only three cities in america i would consider living in, LA, SF, and south florida. NYC possibly, but i think it might be too cold for me. every other city fails miserably for me.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,138,339 times
cost of living
"family-friendly"
parks/recreation
education/schools (public mostly)
safety
culture/cultural diversity
proximity to family/friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or