U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 20 days ago)

3,900 posts, read 6,425,708 times

Advertisements

When you think of the 7 social classes what do you think of?

upper class 200k+ (politicians, doctors, lawyers, CEOs, etc)
upper middle class 100+ (graduate degree and phD)
middle class 50K+ (bachelors degree)
lower middle class 30K+ (high school diploma and some college)
working class 20K+ (high school diploma and some college)
lower class 10K+ (high school diploma or not, poverty)

i think of yachts, mansions, membership to golf courses, multilpe homes, wifes doing yoga, and married couples shopping at Sak's Fifth Avenue for upper class. I also think of Stein Mart and Gelsons Market.

Upper middle class I think of planned communities and gated communities and new two story homes.

I think of anti-smoking movement, environmentalism, pro-fitness, and shopping at Fresh N Easy Whole foods or Trader Joes for upper middle class to Working Class. I think of families shopping at strip malls and malls. The more wealthy families nearby the more upscale the mall and the more organic food markets around. You can find many organic food markets in small un-incorporated communities, small towns, and suburbs of cities now everywhere. You can find malls in larger towns and in towns with a good amount of upper middle class neighborhoods, and in wealthy parts of cities. Suburbs in large cities and rural and suburban homes in towns.

Lower class I think of section 8 housing, run-down neighborhoods, tenements, urban areas near and in downtowns, higher crime rates, gangs, and teens playing basketball for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,502,895 times
Not everyone in the upper-middle-class lives in planned communities.

planned communities are slim to none in New England and the upper-middle-class still gets by in older towns.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 PM

295 posts, read 445,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Not everyone in the upper-middle-class lives in planned communities.

planned communities are slim to none in New England and the upper-middle-class still gets by in older towns.
That's why the question was "what do you think of", not "where exactly do upper middle class people live".

Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,942,773 times
I think I'm glad that I don't live in an area where people are so class conscious that they can be pigeon-holed like that.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,367,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Lower class I think of section 8 housing, run-down neighborhoods, tenements, urban areas near and in downtowns, higher crime rates, gangs, and teens playing basketball for fun.
Pretty much, some areas are better and some are worse.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:47 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,367,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think I'm glad that I don't live in an area where people are so class conscious that they can be pigeon-holed like that.
It's like that a lot in the D.C. area, but its getting better I guess.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 AM

12,887 posts, read 19,637,325 times
Here's the definitive work on the subject:

Class (John's Book Pages)

Fussell does not tie social classes simply to income, but rather something more complex. For instance, a plumbing contractor might indeed be wealthy, but still of a mindset that positions him in the working classes. If a billionaire's money is taken away in a moment, the mores, attitudes and customs that make him a member of the upper class don't simply go away.
Class-conscious? Like it or not, every society on this planet is. People send off little cues and signals alerting others to their social status every hour of the day.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 AM

4,003 posts, read 5,261,051 times
It has more to do with type of job rather than salary. You can make $30K working for a non-profit and have higher status than a mechanic making $60K.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,302,242 times
Quote:
upper class 200k+ (politicians, doctors, lawyers, CEOs, etc)
where i want to be.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 AM

10,028 posts, read 8,557,135 times
I don't think $200K would be considered upper class in NYC, especially in Manhattan. More like middle class. Even in the DC area, $200K is upper middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.