U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 PM

87,024 posts, read 102,689,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I don't think you understand the impact of what happened then or the time it takes to make up for such an economic hit.

No spin involved from me. Sorry that you don't like details to give a better more accurate picture and would prefer to be satisified with an ambiguous statistic.
I understand it very well. I was an adult at the time. My father worked in the steel industry. The country came out of the Great Depression faster than Pittsburgh is coming out of its recession. And the Pittsburgh area is still losing population, no matter what excuse you give for it.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-21-2007 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Messed up the italics the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:59 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,985,489 times
I can't help you understand if you simply want to go by partial data and refuse to look at the context.

It's not a matter of spin or excuse but context and fact.

Ignoring that displays a lack of comprehension of this dymanic, complex situation.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:35 PM
PPG

508 posts, read 1,319,272 times
I am proud to say that Pittsburgh is the belt buckle of the rust belt.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 PM

87,024 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I can't help you understand if you simply want to go by partial data and refuse to look at the context.

It's not a matter of spin or excuse but context and fact.

Ignoring that displays a lack of comprehension of this dymanic, complex situation.
What do you consider partial data? And I do not appreciate being called "stupid" or ignorant or both.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times
Default Rust Belt.....Snow Belt

None of those. I'll say Baltimore has the biggest chance of booming again since it descended into a decayed wasteland in the 70s and 80s. A lot of high-tech industries are being developmed as well as finance and the economy is very diversified compared with shipbuilding, steelmaking, and fishing like in the past. Aberdeen Proving Grounds, a military facility, is supposed to add many new jobs to the area as well and the Baltimore suburbs are booming. A lot of people are moving to the area for cheaper housing. Bmore is cheaper compared to the rest of the East Coast. While winters are bitterly cold, its still survivable. Crime is still bad but improving, though we do need someone like Rudy Giuliani to put the gang members and thugs in their place.

Buffalo, Detroit and Cleveland? Sorry, but they will never get any population growth. And it's a lot simpler than fighting crime, gentrification, or whatever politicians can do. Nobody in their right mind will move to a place where 7 feet of snow is considered normal, the sun never shines in the winter and the temperatures are below freezing all winter. Maybe for a couple years for work, but not to settle down permanently. Chicago will always be an economic powerhouse but its growth can't compete with let's say Atlanta, Las Vegas, or Dallas because once again the weather is a huge drawback.

Now Minneapolis continues to be a sustainable, healthy metro area is way beyond me. How can a place with minus 50 degree winters be the most "livable city in America"??

C'mon, which of ya'll won't rather live in Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte, Vegas, Phoenix, Raleigh, or San Diego comapred with Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, PHiladelphia, Boston, New York City, Cleveland or BUFFALO???

The sad truth about the Northeast and Upper Midwest is that once the Sunbelt rose, people are only going to leave. Maybe the Rust Belt term is outdated...after all most heavy industry went abroad long ago and cities can always diversify their economies.....but the Frost Belt will always be a relevent term and that's the cold hard truth (no pun intended).

Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 PM

At least Milwaukee will always have a healthy economy they can drink to

If they stop making BudLite....the world is coming to an end.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 PM

Default New York City and New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Rustbelt cities essentially mean cities which once were doing strong industrially and then essentially shut down. New York has never shut down so I would not call it a rustbelt city by any means.
New York City was very bad for a while, and Newark and most of northern New Jersey is still a very depressing mess. In the 70s and 80s Times Square was filled with prostitutes, strip clubs, etc. Rudy Giuliani cleaned up the city and saved NYC. Back in the day NYC was a war zone filled with gangs, organized crime, drugs, and all kinds of crime and poverty was widespread.

Actually, most of New York is still "rusty". Except for the southern half of Manhattan and Staten Island NYC is a very very depressing and crumbling place. Do the Bronx, Harlem, Queens, or Brooklyn ring a bell? Things will only get worse as the flip-flopping Bloomberg (he even outdid John Kerry) continues to hold office and illegal immigrants continue to pour in from around the world. Hey, maybe I'm too hard on the new mayor...nobody will ever have what Giuliani had when he fixed New YOrk up. Then they're Newark and Jersey City across the river.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 PM

I would also add northern New Jersey and the Oakland area as rust belt.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Most of these cities mentioned in the context of "rustbelt" make me chuckle when you contrast them to many smaller New England cities and particularly cities in upstate New York. Cinci, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Kansas City??? Huh? Folks, the eyes don't lie and the stats don't lie. Spend a little time getting to know Elmira, Binghamton, Utica, Syracuse, even Buffalo to name a few. It's not even a contest. Only Detroit amongst these other large cities I've seen mentioned falls into the category of thse rustbelts.
I thought Binghamton and Syracuse were college towns so they're always be ok? Guess I'm wrong....hmmmm......

Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 PM

48,282 posts, read 45,557,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
At least Milwaukee will always have a healthy economy they can drink to

If they stop making BudLite....the world is coming to an end.
Budweiser is made in St. Louis,MO. Miller is made in Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or