Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:39 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
NYC isn't a real city. It's a series of so-called 'neighborhoods' and suburbs that make up an area which is called "NYC", but it's not a REAL city like London, Tokiyo, Mosscow, Paris, Proggue, etc.

America doesn't have any "REAL" cities if you go by the rest of the world's idea of what a "city" is. For example, compare a place like Fargoe North Dakota to a REAL city like Amman, Jordan - it becomes clear that what we call "cities" in this country would be lame suburbs in other countries.

So, to answer your OP there is no Primative City in America because we can't compete with world cities. The closest we have to a REAL city is Los Angeles, since they have a real downtown with skyscrapers, something that NYC and every other town in America lacks.
Holy Crap, this is the most backward ass post I've seen today. :smac k::smack :

I do agree with the bolded part though; there is NO PRIMITIVE CITY IN AMERICA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Quote:
NYC isn't a real city. It's a series of so-called 'neighborhoods' and suburbs that make up an area which is called "NYC", but it's not a REAL city like London, Tokiyo, Mosscow, Paris, Proggue, etc.

America doesn't have any "REAL" cities if you go by the rest of the world's idea of what a "city" is. For example, compare a place like Fargoe North Dakota to a REAL city like Amman, Jordan - it becomes clear that what we call "cities" in this country would be lame suburbs in other countries.

So, to answer your OP there is no Primative City in America because we can't compete with world cities. The closest we have to a REAL city is Los Angeles, since they have a real downtown with skyscrapers, something that NYC and every other town in America lacks.
folks dont be surprised at what you read on city-data

Old 06-12-2010, 07:11 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Holy Crap, this is the most backward ass post I've seen today. :smac k::smack :

I do agree with the bolded part though; there is NO PRIMITIVE CITY IN AMERICA.
no, i'd have to say THIS is the most backward ass post I've seen today.

BCJ was JOKING - if you bothered to read the posts, you'd know that!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
folks dont be surprised at what you read on city-data

Old 06-12-2010, 11:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
If there is a larger collection of ****-slinging monkeys in suits than Manhattan, I'd be hard pressed to find it.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:

NYC isn't a real city? Are you ok?

Quote:
It was a joke...but it sure fooled a couple of New Yorkers!
Wow you deff fooled me. lol.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no, i'd have to say THIS is the most backward ass post I've seen today.

BCJ was JOKING - if you bothered to read the posts, you'd know that!!!
Lol.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,198 times
Primate city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mark Jefferson defines a primate city as being "at least twice as large as the next largest city and more than twice as significant." A primate city is number one in its country in most aspects, like politics, economy, media, culture and universities.

I think NYC meets that criteria. It is >2x larger than LA, and definitely more than 2x as significant.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
The U.S. is so large that even a city like NYC(arguably the "capital of the world") doesn't overshadow the rest of the nation the way that Paris does in France.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I was discussing this with my friend -
Many smaller countries throughout the world have a single major city that is the hub of almost all activity within that country:
UK: London - capital and largest city by far
France: Paris - capital and largest city by far
Japan: Tokyo - capital and largest metro by far (not technically a city)
Russia: Moscow - capital and largest city by far....
....and the list goes on.

A few countries have exceptions to this rule, and they are usually countries with massive populations and/or area, such as USA, Canada, China, India, etc.

But with the USA, I will make the argument that NYC is a primate city. It is not the capital of the US, nor is it the capital of even its own state. (it was the capital of the US in the 1700s for a short time though)

It is not the hub of ALL economic activity (chicago), banking (Miami), world-stage politics (Washington), education (boston), or the media (LA), but It does hold a considerable presence when talking about any one of these issues. (The cities in perenthesis are arguably the first or second pick for each of these topics, along WITH nyc.)

What NYC does have however, to support the claim that it is a primate city is as follows:

-more than DOUBLE the population of the second largest city, sitting at about 8.3M people (21M metro)
-It is the most densely populated major city, and still manages to have pretty good greenspace, a very low per-capita single-driver population, and clean air/water. It is also the nation's safest large city.
-Is the center of the BosWash, the most densely populated megacity in the nation
-is connected to the only current hi speed rail in the nation (Acela)
-Has the most sophisticated subway system in the US (MTA)
-Has the most sophisticated everything-else-to-do-with-transit systems in the US (port authority of ny & nj, nj transit, PATH, metro-north, LIRR, bridges, tunnels, etc)
-Contains arguably the busiest port in the US (along with newark)
-Wall st.
-UN headquarters
-many fortune 500 companies
-many great universities, including 3 ivy leagues within its reaches (princeton, columbia, yale)
-the HQ of all the TV broadcast companies, including the nation's largest media market, broadway, etc.
-I could pull references, but im too lazy right now. Wikipedia has a load of information though.

So what do u guys think? is it undoubtedly a "primate" city of the US? or do LA/chicago/dallas/miami/boston/etc hold too much weight in their own rights to allow NYC to be overpowering?
You just answered your own question: no. Also add the film industry to Los Angeles, tourism to Miami, green research to Chicago, and much much more. New York is also not the political capital, so again, it is not the primate city

Also, when it comes to MSA population, Los Angeles is closer behind with 12,828,837 to New Yorks 18,897,109. CSA population: L.A. 17,877,006 to NYC's 22,085,649. New York isn't as far ahead as everyone would like to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.