Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,414 times

Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to read this and post opinions!

I'm a high school science teacher in Illinois who is hoping to find a Vice-Principal position in a great school and location in Georgia. My reasons for considering Georgia are many. First and foremost, it has some really lovely areas populated with what seem to be really nice people. On the practical side, Georgia seems to be expanding opportunities for educators. This year Illinois has laid off several hundred thousand teachers and the opportunities for a teacher to transition in to administration are very slim.

So...my questions. Is it accurate to say that teachers/administrators are in fairly high demand in Georgia? If so, are there certain areas in the State that are out in front of this trend?

What areas of Georgia would be good for me to focus my attention on given my "wish list?" The list: good, supportive schools with decent teacher/admin salaries, commuting distance to fairly rural living, good rental home options in said semi-rural locale, nice place to live and work.

Any opinions, info, advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
It will only take you 5 minutes to dig up all the recent furloughs and cutbacks in the k12 (and higher) system in the state of GA. The only "hiring" that is going on is the rehiring of some people they laid off earlier.

Also, one does not just become a principal from a teacher especially from cold (moving from another state and boom you get to run the school with no community or prior experience). Keep that in mind.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:18 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,215 times
Hopefully a GA teacher will read your post and have something to say. As a non teacher, I am a bit mystified with your view of GA education. There is a continuing battle over education down here. Our school systems are not noted for their quality anything save for a very few counties that have the money such as Oconee County adjacent to Athens, GA where I reside. In my county, home of the University of GA, the drop out rate in our high schools bounces around the 50% mark routinely.

Il has layed off several HUNDRED THOUSAND? I believe Il has a very powerful teacher's union though perhaps that is primarily Chicago. But, my thought is that IF you still have a job, then KEEP IT! Georgia is no paradise for jobs and I could not recommend your coming here unless you have a contract in hand.

Good luck.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:27 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcliff View Post
On the practical side, Georgia seems to be expanding opportunities for educators. This year Illinois has laid off several hundred thousand teachers and the opportunities for a teacher to transition in to administration are very slim.
Don't know if you have old info or where you're getting your info, but just like Illinios and just about every other state, GA is in the midst of a budget crisis. The state and many counties and cities are taking in much less tax revenue than in past years, due to unemployment, less consumption, and the decline of property values.

It's not unique to GA, but we are not "expanding opportunities" either. Layoffs and furloughs are pretty much the rule at many schools systems throughout the state, just as they are at many systems throughout the country.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 17,646 times
Teachers in Georgia are NOT in high demand. I am midwestern and resigned from my teaching position three weeks ago. Working conditions here are nothing like the midwest. I strongly suggest you reconsider your move to Georgia. This would be a book if I were to give you all the details. Currently, I am packing to leave the state. reconsider

Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
Teaching jobs are plentiful--false!, Administrator jobs are plentiful --false. My district has ended 50+ positions, given 8-12 furlough days and expects me to teach 30+ kids per period. It is rough everywhere and GA is no exception.

Google (ajc get schooled) for a forum documenting many current issues.

Good Luck

Old 07-03-2010, 08:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Just to set context....yes things are tough in GA and the OP should take that into account, but let's not make it sound as if GA is an island and everywhere else is just peachy. Property values drive property tax revenue; sales taxes and income taxes are the principal revenue sources for most states, and they have been down almost across the board. Most states and most local school systems throughout the country are cutting or at best holding the line.

Folks back in the town I moved from in Massachusetts are debating these same issues. GA is not somehow unique on this.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:57 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
To the OP, it's never impossible. My wife just got a teaching position a few weeks ago.

But like the other posters have said, times are indeed hard and finding a position isn't like shooting fish in a barrel like it was a few years back.

As many would say, it would be unwise to relocate here to GA without already having secured a position.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
Also keep in mind that just because you think you have a position doesn't mean much at all. They can change your "contract" at will, or just show you the door at any time. (tenure is a joke)

Many of the smaller districts are very much in the "good ole boy" mode, so you better know the right folks and attend the right church. (Baptist for sure in the smaller towns)

That's why my family of two teachers left after only 4 years. We would much rather continue our careers somewhere else. I have never seen anything like what we saw in GA, both at the admininstration level and with fellow teachers. It was definately "anything goes". Very sad.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Also keep in mind that just because you think you have a position doesn't mean much at all. They can change your "contract" at will, or just show you the door at any time. (tenure is a joke)

Many of the smaller districts are very much in the "good ole boy" mode, so you better know the right folks and attend the right church. (Baptist for sure in the smaller towns)

That's why my family of two teachers left after only 4 years. We would much rather continue our careers somewhere else. I have never seen anything like what we saw in GA, both at the admininstration level and with fellow teachers. It was definately "anything goes". Very sad.
All my wife and I can do, then, is pray and have faith that her situations remain positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: