U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM
 
44 posts, read 150,546 times
Reputation: 47
Default Do New Georgia Driver's Licenses Have an RFID Chip?

Question: I am searching for the information, but can't seem to find a definite answer.

Do the new Georgia Driver's Licenses have an RFID Chip?

I know that Chase and American Express issues credit cards with RFID Chips and you can request a card WITHOUT a chip. The RFID system is dangerous because "Identity Thieves" can purchase readers at a cheap price, put them in a backpack or a briefcase, and read the information off of your card. I have verified this with Law Enforcement officials.

I'm hoping that the new GA Drivers License are FREE of RFID Chips. However, the new driver's license looks completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Acworth
1,350 posts, read 2,471,917 times
Reputation: 434
no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,005 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dawg View Post
Question: I am searching for the information, but can't seem to find a definite answer.

Do the new Georgia Driver's Licenses have an RFID Chip?

I know that Chase and American Express issues credit cards with RFID Chips and you can request a card WITHOUT a chip. The RFID system is dangerous because "Identity Thieves" can purchase readers at a cheap price, put them in a backpack or a briefcase, and read the information off of your card. I have verified this with Law Enforcement officials.

I'm hoping that the new GA Drivers License are FREE of RFID Chips. However, the new driver's license looks completely different.
I just received my new Georgia ID (not DL) and it has a little lump about 3mm wide right where my signature is. It is way to carfully placed for it to be a manufacturers defect. Not to mention is has silver holographic seal on the back side of my ID where the bulge/lump is.

At first I thought it was a defect, but its placement, alignment, size.....i dunno. I'm thinking some passive RFID of some sore.

Anyone else see this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island and Atlanta, GA
12,709 posts, read 18,637,645 times
Reputation: 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by klept0 View Post
I just received my new Georgia ID (not DL) and it has a little lump about 3mm wide right where my signature is. It is way to carfully placed for it to be a manufacturers defect. Not to mention is has silver holographic seal on the back side of my ID where the bulge/lump is.

At first I thought it was a defect, but its placement, alignment, size.....i dunno. I'm thinking some passive RFID of some sort.

Anyone else see this?
A friend just showed me his new GA license last night; I saw the very same thing. I'm thinking what you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 AM
 
4,066 posts, read 2,239,929 times
Reputation: 8004
Just got mine and there is a chip. Don't know if it's RFID or not. In any case, you have no reason to swipe your driver's license anywhere so it isn't the same safety issue as a credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,062 posts, read 1,107,884 times
Reputation: 761
A Google search did not indicate whether or not the new licenses have an RFID chip, though there are a lot of data stored on the bar code on the back of the license. This bar code is a federal mandate (per the REAL ID act), but I it does not look like federal guidelines require RFID chips, at least not at this time. Thus, I think any State that uses RFID in identifications do so for their own reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Murrayville, Georgia
3,464 posts, read 1,078,751 times
Reputation: 5637
i just got my GA license in july and there is no rfid chip in it that i can find...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 PM
 
1 posts, read 775 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A friend just showed me his new GA license last night; I saw the very same thing. I'm thinking what you are.
I saw the same thing its like a wire or something I put mine in the micro wave for 10 seconds I am sure what ever it was wont work now don't go more then 10 seconds though you don't want to melt it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Warm Springs, GA
1,337 posts, read 1,802,886 times
Reputation: 1606
Ugh, there's so much misunderstanding about RFID it's sad. The chips simply can't hold any real amount of data. The chips I have personal experience with were able to hold abotu a 6 digit number, and then 3 "flags" (on or off, programmed into the database the RFID accessed). Each number was unique and referenced a database... there is ZERO personal info on RFID chips. It's just a number, it means nothing without access to the corresponding database. If someone has hacked the database, they don't NEED your RFID number...

The issue with payment cards is that RFID chips are easy to spoof, meaning they're easy to duplicate. It's a non-issue for someone to create a clone of the card and make charges willy-nilly.... until there's a Use and a Reason for licenses to be used in that manor, there won't be any reason to do the same there.

It's all a lot of 'tinfoil hat' worry over something that's a non-issue. Further, it's not like a person can DO anything about it anyway ~ if you're worried about RFID, make a passive block with some aluminum foil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top