U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,399,099 times
Default Guns in Church for GA?

Go Here>>>
Georgia minister sues to take guns to church *| ajc.com

I wondered how long it would take.

'A Thomaston minister and a gun rights advocacy group is filing lawsuit challenging Georgia’s prohibition against guns in church, a move that was predicted after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled last month the Second Amendment's guarantee of an individual right to bear arms applied to state and local gun control laws.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 AM

6,319 posts, read 3,293,353 times
In the name of the father, the son, and the holy glock

Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
In the name of the father, the son, and the holy glock

lol--So I guess this will work its way through the court system creating further discussions.

Somehow even in a city such as Atlanta with a reputation for being 'very dangerous'--we have managed w/o arming ourselves for church.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM

218 posts, read 356,518 times
I've had acquaintances complain that church security was overbearing enough. Just imagine what the complaints would be if they were allowed to pack heat...

Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 AM

7,661 posts, read 9,597,578 times
Let's all listen to a sermon about love, forgiveness, and turning the other cheek. Just be sure to have your 9mm tucked in your waist band.

Is the irony lost on everyone?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,112,035 times
I thought the prohibition against carrying in "public gatherings" was repealed in the very recent revision of SB 308. Per the new law (see like below), the provision that mentions churches was removed:

sb308_SB308_APP_23.html

Am I reading this incorrectly?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,026,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Let's all listen to a sermon about love, forgiveness, and turning the other cheek. Just be sure to have your 9mm tucked in your waist band.

Is the irony lost on everyone?
No. I personally find this beyond insane.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 AM

7,661 posts, read 9,597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No. I personally find this beyond insane.
Same. It makes me question my decision to live here sometimes, since either crime is so bad that everyone thimks they must have a gun, anywhere and everywhere to feel safe, or the people are so paranoid that they feel they must have a gun, anywhere and everywhere. Here, I feel more unsafe knowing that everyone is walking around toting guns...with no training required and no real restrictions beyond you can't already have a felony conviction.

I grew up unexposed to guns and the gun culture, in NYC. Never felt unsafe. I lived in Massachusetts, where there are strict gun laws and most people don't have guns, and the state is one of the safest in the country. Never felt unsafe.

I like living here for many reasons, but this gun fixation is scary.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 AM

I am not fully informed on this--I saw a headline that LA had passed a law allowing guns in church, 'in the dangerous parts of cities'--that was what I thought I heard.

Then asked in the Political forum and they said the decision was recently handed down from the Supreme Court.

I can't recall what sort of gun laws are in effect at state and local levels. Several years ago there was discussion about guns in parks--maybe Piedmont Park? or state parks?

I think I inquired and learned that DeKalb County hadn't approved such an ordinance or law. FWIW.

LA has several new laws that I don't believe are appropriate for GA.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,112,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Here, I feel more unsafe knowing that everyone is walking around toting guns...with no training required and no real restrictions beyond you can't already have a felony conviction.
I believe in the right to possess a firearm, but I do agree that permits should not be issued to someone with no training. There are too many people out there with legal permits who have never fired a gun. Georgia should require all applicants for a permit to take and pass a firearms course from a qualified instructor. I was sad to see that this was not a provision when Georgia's law was revised recently.

On the flip side, muggers tend to avoid the streets where citizens might or might not be armed. Muggers strongly prefer cities and states that have strict gun laws, since they are less likely to wind up in a body bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia