Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 25,707 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are planning on moving to GA in a few months and would like some input. He is working on getting plumbing experience now, and he'll be getting his license for GA once we move. We need a good town with some growth; However, we do NOT want to be in the suburbs of Atlanta. And we have family in Florida, so southern towns are preferable, but we're open to other ideas. We don't need much entertainment nearby. Camping and fishing trips are what we prefer. We're pretty simple ppl. And even though it's just us now, we plan on having a large family. So, if people could share their favorite towns and what they like about them we'd love it. Thanx so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Post How far south do you want to be?

Carrollton, GA--which is west of Atlanta might be an option.

Americus, GA/Sumter County-that is SE, IIRC or maybe central
Go>>
The Real Georgia

The humidity and the bugs of South GA are not my cup of tea.

In NE GA I like the Hartwell/Lavonia area--nearly to the SC line and not far from NC.

hth

sls

Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 21,523 times
Bainbridge in South Georgia is a WONDERFUL little town!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 PM

40 posts, read 204,239 times
Check out Greensboro, GA area. Fishing readily available at Lake Oconee and Lake Sinclair, as well as other rivers/streams. Camping in area, or N. GA mountains are just 2 hrs away - which also offers trout fishing. Also, I get to Palm Coast, FL in about 6 1/2 hrs, taking back roads to I295 in FL. Land here is rolling - Piedmont area of GA. Nice area.

Good luck, and have fun looking!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 36,207 times
The Vidalia-Lyons area, '' Home of the Sweet Onions". There's lot to do here, in this little town of about 15,000 to 20,000 people. This town is growing by the second. We have plenty of rivers, ponds, streams, and creeks nearby to fish at, and plenty of outdoors to enjoy. If you enjoy the country, with a bustling city life also, move to Vidalia. Vidalia is about 1.5 to 2 hours from the Florida state line.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 PM

102 posts, read 373,914 times
Default Willacoohee

Willacoochee may be an option. Our population is around 1600. Its a small south Georgia town with larger cities within a 20-45 min distance. Willacoochee is located between Douglas (18 miles north), Valdosta (38 miles south), Tifton (28 miles west), and Waycross (40 miles east). We are around no more than one hour from the Florida line. The town has US HWY 82 running east and west. Which connects you to I-75 (Westbound 82) & I-95 (Eastbound 82). Two state highways lead north out of town (GA 90 & GA 135 N) and one state highway leads south out of town (GA 135 S). The Alapaha River is a mile out of town south. The Willacoochee River is a mile out of town west. The Satilla River is 10 miles out of town north. Willacoochee is the industrial hub, if you will, of the county and fastest growing town in the county. If you have any questions about Willacoochee, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by willacoochee; 07-04-2007 at 11:04 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 12:59 AM

467 posts, read 322,151 times
Although I would never choose to go back - the Kingsland/St Marys area of SE Georgia is a hot bed of growth right now.

They are putting up houses faster than you can count them and they are knocking down an old paper mill (Durango) plant to put in new waterfront residential/commercial space.

If you go now - BUY A HOUSE as the market is set to explode with incoming retirees that won't move to FL because of the hurricanes (Kingsland/SMarys has never been hit by a hurricane) and the taxes and insurance issues in FL are driving people North. We still own our home there and we rent it because the value just keeps climbing.

A good indication that major growth is going on - they just opened a brand new Lowe's (in a town where the only real shopping is Wal-Mart) and there are tons of new stores in the works.

The Kingsland/St Marys area is right off of I-95 just over the GA/FL border.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:37 AM

87 posts, read 309,442 times
Statesboro is growing fast. It's home of GSU, "Splash in the Boro" water park, plenty of new homes being built, 45 min. NW of Savannah, Hwy 80 runs E/W, Hwy 301 is N/S, 10 min. from I-16. They've got a Wal-Mart superstore and distribution center, Briggs & Straton, Lowe's, KMart, and plenty of new stores, as well as a new art museum. Fishing, hunting, Mill Creek Park, plenty to see & do.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 AM

20 posts, read 105,985 times
Camden Co./ St. Marys would be my choice. 15 min from Beach; 45 from JAX. and 40 to the brunswick/St. Simons (SSI) area. very community oriented.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM

26 posts, read 108,026 times
I'm not sure if first message posted so I'll try again. I'll second jlh410's reply this area should be looked into. My plumber retired and when we needed one it took several days before a plumber could come out for a service call. It appears this area is in need of plumbers. Vidalia and the surrounding areas are growing by leaps and bounds. Good areas to raise families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia