Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:03 PM

177 posts, read 219,361 times

Advertisements

Are you talking about in Middle Georgia or the whole state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 02:07 PM

In Middle Georgia, GREAT places to live and raise kids (as in family atmosphere and safe for the family) are:
Dublin, Warner Robins (Kathleen and Bonaire side), Forsyth (Monroe county-especially the Bolingbroke area and North Monroe county), Byron, and Dudley(in Laurens county also)

Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM

511 posts, read 2,470,066 times
Bolingbroke in other words North Bibb County, which will see alot of growth due to the new mall, Bass Pro Shops and all the development Macon is doing because the prostitution & drug market is at its highest demand, which makes up a huge bit of the local tax base, just like in New York, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Los Angelos, Las Vegas, Chicago, Miami, Tampa, Charlotte, Seattle and many other great major cities are seeing, I think not!

These are real cities, cities that goes through there trials, like Chicago's 70s & 80s high murder rate, or Houston's high drug rates, or Los Angelos past drug problems, or Atlanta's need for water, Miami, Dallas, & LA immagration problems. All are great cities because they know they have problems and will have problems.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 PM

LOL...OK..whatever...I cant believe you compare Macon with those cities...LOL

And Bolingbroke is NOT North Bibb county...you wish it was, then Macon would have something to be proud of.....LOL

Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,580,418 times
Quote:
`m hoping with the projected growth in Byron that it will become an entity to itself....without the "leech" of Forth Valley hanging on it. I absolutely detest Fort Valley and wouldnt live there if you gave me property and paid me to live on it.
Couldn't agree with you more, Peelo...
Of course, I'm still miffed about the whole BOE situation...
Free Byron, LOL!
It is a great town.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:21 AM

511 posts, read 2,470,066 times
The Go Fish center will be a big boost for Perry, with expected growth to double, the Go Fish Center could possibly have an impact of tripiling the twon of about 5,000 people.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:25 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,580,418 times
Perry's property taxes (city limits) are pretty high, I think highest in Houston County. You may want to check into that.
But I work in Perry and it is a nice town. Some areas are better than others, but I think that's safe to say about any town...

Old 10-04-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,282 times
It depends on what you like to do and family situations and how much money you want to spend.

Every city has its good and bad points: I would not recommend Macon as a place to live or send kids to school unless you want to send them to private schools, (Expensive)

Warner Robins has the largest civilian employer in middle Ga at Robins AFB. Folks commute from all over Ga to work there.

With it being military, it is a very inexpensive place to live as compared with Macon. The middle class is what I am talking about.

The housing market is better to buy or rent. I am "fixing" to move from Macon to Warner Robins/ Perry area to save money. You can find places in the country if that is what you like. I have been looking at it for years now and I am moving in the next couple of months.

Bonaire, Kathleen, Bryon etc are smaller towns that surround Warner Robins. I think Kathleen, Bonaire, and Perry are all in Houston county with Warner Robins.
Bryon is in Peach I think.

Houston County, (pronounced as in house ton) has the best schools, as they get government money because of the military dependents going to public schools, that Bibb co, (Macon) does not get. We retired there as a military family.
(Macon has a higher crime rate also. I became a Macon Police officer)

Now for the entertainment and shopping. Warner Robins has surpassed Macon in the restraurant selection and has the bowling alleys, and theaters etc.

Warner Robins has the biggest high school football rivarly and was one of the best records in the state. The real estate agents, (I have heard), find out if your family includes a football player and guides you to buy or live in the part of town that will have your son playing for a certain team.

Warner Robins also has the family events such as softball, soccer, etc, the clubs, and reallly has any thing that Macon has to offer.

I think Macon has a minor league baseball team, but when the baby Braves were here, they weren't supported and left town.

If you want a small town and closer to the action in Atlanta, research Forsyth, Jackson and Barnsville, and other small towns closer to Atlanta.

Atlanta is probably in the top 10 as far as Action for the clubs, restraurants, Arts, etc.
Atlanta is only 90 miles from Macon and not that far to go for the weekend for something different such as the arts and theater.
Savannah is only about 190 miles away and awesome! Wonderful for a weekend getaway.
And the Ga mountains are just north of Atlanta.
The west side of Ga has some stuff, but I forgot what it is.
Oh, Jimmy Carter still teaches Sunday school in Plains: that is a wonderful weekend getaway for the children. Cordele has the "Sam Train" that goes to Plains. The Secret Service searched us and the children before entering and our children was babyset in the nursey by the Secret Service!!!!
You can't beat that for a memory for the kids.
Hope this helps,
You can research any town on the net.
KarmaKool

Last edited by KarmaKool; 10-04-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: To correct and add to

Old 10-07-2008, 03:15 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,722,220 times
Im from Warner Robinsand Perry.My parents moved with me while i was in high school in the late 80s to Atlanta suburbs.Im grown and still call Atlanta home.Im single though.I would not move back because it not for me,its boring.If i had a family or wanted a good simple life the those places are great. Warner Robins or Perry out near Houston Lake or Near Bonaire are great areas.Byron is booming just a mile from the city of Warner Robins.My parents just moved back there and bought a very nice big house in Byron.They are semi retired though.

Perry cops i gotta say are always on it.theres not much crime going on.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:00 PM

66 posts, read 207,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelo View Post
I`m hoping with the projected growth in Byron that it will become an entity to itself....without the "leech" of Forth Valley hanging on it. I absolutely detest Fort Valley and wouldnt live there if you gave me property and paid me to live on it. Its almost as bad as living in Macon.....
You just don't like central GA i haven't seen a good comment that you have made about Macon, Warner Robins, or Perry. Mostly African American Centers. Byron is a great small town but there is no major oppurtunities there employment. Macon has Mercer and Wesleyn colleges. Fort Valley has Fort Valley State. Fort Valley can survived without the assistance of the Air Force Base as it has. Byron's growth will only continue as long as the Air base stays there. Warner Robins has great High Schools. Many of the residence of Byron work in Warner Robins, Macon and Fort Valley, not Byron itself and it doesn't have a high school there students go to high school in Fort Valley and so does Marshallville students. Fort Valley States students usually stay and live in Fort Valley so really get your facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia