U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 11,333 times
Default Relocating to GA

Hi I am very intrested in moving to the south. My options were Florida and Georgia. I know alot about Florida already but now am very intrested in Gerogia. I have been to Georgia and really enjoyed the time I spent there. I like the culture over there. I was born in raised in Boston and have never lived anywhere else, but is ready to start somthing new in my life. I never liked up North, I always felt like I belong to the south...lol I would like to get as much advice I can get about the Georgia. I would like to make my move in Fall 2011. I work in the hospitality industy m in the Hotel World. My husband works in the Medical Admin Field, medical billing, medical insurance.We have a baby boy, which will become a toddler when we move. I am looking for a nice area to rent a house, very diverse, quiet place but can have nice bbq without the cops coming by. Somewhere not to close to the city but if i get a job offer in the city I can still drive there within 30-45min. I place where there is a good school district for when my son will start school. Any cities you may have in mind please let me know, I plan to go this fall to go visit some of the cities. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:06 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,393,981 times
Please--which part of the state interests you?

I work in the hospitality industy m in the Hotel World. My husband works in the Medical Admin Field, medical billing, medical insurance.We have a baby boy, which will become a toddler when we move. I am looking for a nice area to rent a house, very diverse, quiet place but can have nice bbq without the cops coming by. Somewhere not to close to the city but if i get a job offer in the city I can still drive there within 30-45min. I place where there is a good school district for when my son will start school.

There are suburbs, exurbs of Atlanta that would possibly be a good match.

There are small towns--N, S, E and W.

Employment opportunities --if and when economic recovery occurs--will be more likely around the larger cities. Atlanta has over 5,000,000 people now. Some commute an hour or more each way daily from all areas around the perimeter.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,619,664 times
If you have a job, stay put. Period.

But, be aware that Georgia has a state income tax though coming from MA you might not notice it as much. FL has no state income tax.

I suggest somewhere near Jacksonville, FL.

GA has a huge unemployment rate and mostly very poor school systems unless you can afford to live in one of the more upscale counties.

Boston has some of the finest medical facilities in the world. You have Cape Cod for the ocean visits. You have the Autumn foliage. MA also has guaranteed medical insurance though at a price.

Stay where you are, at least for now. It isn't getting better in GA.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:15 PM

242 posts, read 287,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS23 View Post
Hi I am very intrested in moving to the south. My options were Florida and Georgia. I know alot about Florida already but now am very intrested in Gerogia. I have been to Georgia and really enjoyed the time I spent there. I like the culture over there. I was born in raised in Boston and have never lived anywhere else, but is ready to start somthing new in my life. I never liked up North, I always felt like I belong to the south...lol I would like to get as much advice I can get about the Georgia. I would like to make my move in Fall 2011. I work in the hospitality industy m in the Hotel World. My husband works in the Medical Admin Field, medical billing, medical insurance.We have a baby boy, which will become a toddler when we move. I am looking for a nice area to rent a house, very diverse, quiet place but can have nice bbq without the cops coming by. Somewhere not to close to the city but if i get a job offer in the city I can still drive there within 30-45min. I place where there is a good school district for when my son will start school. Any cities you may have in mind please let me know, I plan to go this fall to go visit some of the cities. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
I suggest staying where you are. If you do choose to come down to Georgia, I suggest avoiding Atlanta and all of the fall line cities (that basically leaves you with 3 or 4 choices, depending on what you'd call a city and if you count something that is just on the border between states on the other side).

Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,393,981 times
If you avoid Atlanta and surrounding environs then --Savannah, Macon, Augusta would be the larger cities and none of them would be comparable to Boston or the adjacent areas.

You might find some/more of what you want around Athens, GA. UGA, University of GA is there. 45-1hr from Atlanta.

There are a number of medical facilities in the Atlanta area and the hospitality industry is significant.

If I wanted to relocate I would start researching each industry. A number of posters have said that w/o a local address employers are less inclined to give serious consideration to applicants. If you could arrange a transfer with existing companies that would be something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia