U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 32,573 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving from northern VA within the next year. I am looking for great school counties, diversity, high employment rate, avg cost of living (middle class), low crime rate, some night life and family oriented. I have a 6 year old daughter, living with my boyfriends, and I am 25 years old. I've been doing my research and the top cities that I am considering are:Alpharetta; Columbus; Marietta; Peachtree City; Roswell; Savannah; Suwanee

Last edited by diamondcitygyrl; 07-26-2010 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM

242 posts, read 302,733 times
Its just my opinion but I wouldn't consider Columbus, Marietta, Peachtree City, or Suwanee out of that list. Alpharetta, Savannah, and Roswell I think are fine out of that list, but would you care to be in traffic jam city at some times of the day? If so then the two Atlanta suburbs are out.
If you don't then I'd also consider Dunwoody and Sandy Springs if price isn't a factor.

In fact most of them are suburbs and not cities at all with the exceptions being Columbus and Savannah (Maybe Alpharetta and Marietta aren't just suburbs but I'm not sure).

Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,929,615 times
Columbus was voted the #4 best city in the country to raise a family in this past year. Columbus is a great place to raise kids. Lots of youth sports, good schools, neighborhoods, etc. If you have any questions let me know.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 16,347 times
I also am looking to move my family from VA to GA. I have a 2yr old nd very much interested in knowing the good and the bad cities that GA has to offer. I see that there are alot of affordable housing and good job opportunities in alot of cities in Ga. Ive never been down south but I am originally from Queens NY. So I AM DEFINATELY NOTTTT LOOKING FOR ANYTHING REMOTELY CLOSE TO THAT LIVING. Please help, also what is the age criteria that is allowed to be enrolled in headstart?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 PM

235 posts, read 72,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondcitygyrl View Post
Hi, I will be moving from northern VA within the next year. I am looking for great school counties, diversity, high employment rate, avg cost of living (middle class), low crime rate, some night life and family oriented. I have a 6 year old daughter, living with my boyfriends, and I am 25 years old. I've been doing my research and the top cities that I am considering are:Alpharetta; Columbus; Marietta; Peachtree City; Roswell; Savannah; Suwanee
BoyfriendS? That's not going to go over well anywhere ...

Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 32,573 times
Quote:
LOL, I meant boyfriend. I like the Marietta school system, but the price is definatelty high. My boyfriend likes Columbus and Savannah. I been reading about Rowell alot also. It sounds like its a suburb. I do prefer the suburbs though. I'll drive the 30/40 minute drive if I want to go out and party.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM

8,862 posts, read 8,900,671 times
Quote:
LOL, I meant boyfriend. I like the Marietta school system, but the price is definatelty high. My boyfriend likes Columbus and Savannah. I been reading about Rowell alot also. It sounds like its a suburb. I do prefer the suburbs though. I'll drive the 30/40 minute drive if I want to go out and party.
Marietta is 10+ miles from Roswell. The suburban areas of each municipality overlap --speaking in broad terms. Roswell would be more upscale than most of Marietta.

Hopefully you will have a chance to visit Atlanta and the other cities which you are considering.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:45 PM

4,764 posts, read 1,787,647 times
Quote:
Marietta is nice. The school systems in Cobb County are excellent, especially if you live in an area districted to Lassiter High School.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 16,071 times
My fiance and I along with out 2 year old,would like to move to GA from FL..A friend of ours lives in Marietta.He said it's a nice area and he likes it. I would like to know more about Marietta and if its family oriented and are the stores nearby by..dont want to drive 25-30 mins just to get to a store. Also are there any good daycares around.I would like info on apartments in the area..like a 2bd/2br ranging from $500-$700..thank you. I visited mcdonough(henry county) and wasnt too thrilled..seemed very boring.

Last edited by movin on bye FL; 08-18-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,219,699 times
The Suburbs of any of the metropolitan cities would be nice places to raise a family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia