Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 PM

107 posts, read 151,477 times

Advertisements

l have done some research into the hope scholarship. From what I understand from a home schooling perspective they only pay for college retroactively after the first year with a qualifying GPA. I'm not sure what you mean by it being financial trouble. Do you mean you must show financial need? I didn't see that, but if that's your take maybe I need to dig a bit deeper.

Please don't laugh when I say my oldest is 12. I am however expecting him to enter college by 15 for prerequisite math classes ( I will drop him off, wait etc). He's gifted and will be starting Geometry in a month so were on target to have 15 as a realistic start date.

I must admit I do need to do a bit more research as I tend to get the hope grant, and scholarship mixed up. Needless to say we would of course like whatever help we can get since we have three boys the youngest is four. Not having the financial isn't a deal breaker though. I was more concerned about transferability from North Georgia College to Georgia Tech so I really appreciate you posting about the transfer information.

I thought that Georgia had some program for High Schoolers to attend college. I'm still in the planning stages so I have a lot to learn. Were going to be staying in Blue Ridge this October and hope to do a campus tour to get a feel for the College. Will also be looking at Real Estate in both Blue Ridge in Dahlonega. I'm hoping all goes well and it proves to be a good fit. I don't handle city life well so these towns sound well. Any further advice would be appreciated, thanks so much ( :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:12 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Hope is funded by lottery Money (College & Pre K). The College cost & number of students using the funds have been going up faster then the lottery money has been comming in. and GA lottery is one of the most profitable in the US. The state leg & Gov have been looking at way of controling the costs, Cap on income for the program, after course (with B avg) renbursemnet, instend of paying upfront. No 2nd Chances if your avg goes below B, cutting the book allowance,
HOPE's dwindling finances worry lawmakers *| ajc.com

To get Hope you need to have B avg in school, (and other req). But the state has trouble tell if a home schooler B is 'real' so for the 1st semester of college, you have to pay and when you show that your son can do the College level work at a B avg, they pay you back for the class.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM

Also there is a private college near Blue Ridge about 30min (I think) in Young Harris, Not sure what hope $ are available for Private college costs. Young Harris College Home

Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 AM

Wow, thanks for replying flyonpa. I read the article on the scholarship. I certainly wish they wouldn't cap the scholarship and would leave it to GPA to cut back costs. A 46% rate of failing to make the grade is really high and with that statistic you would have no problem cutting costs based on grades.

I do know what your saying about the homeschooling and grades. You could in theory write down anything. I'm hopeful that a portfolio of my sons work along with ACT, SAT scores, decent essay ability, and a recommendation from a teacher or instructor would more than suffice to demonstrate ability. Not that any of that's required, but I would prefer to have it ready if is was ever asked for.

The recommendation from an instructor or teacher will be a problem though if Georgia doesn't offer any advance placement. In Illinois my son was able to attend the local college at 11 for a Beginning Robotics Course. I haven't seen anything academic for kids in Arkansas. I don't suppose you know of any of these kind of classes at the North Georgia College, or the Young Harris College? Thanks so much for the advice.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
GA has joint enrollment and most community colleges will enroll homeschoolers pretty easily.

GHEA - Homeschool Friendly Colleges

My comment about the HOPE is exactly as flyonpa described. More students, higher tuition and that equals higher costs.

No doubt some changes are coming. I am actually for a system like they use for homeschoolers, one that requires students to earn the 3.0 and then they are reimbursed. HOPE is sending to many kids to college who really aren't ready.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the list lastminutemom. You know I agree having the hope pay retroactively based on grades would not only save a lot of money, but I think make some kids work harder. Maybe for the more affluent parents on down have them pay by sliding scale.

Why do you guys think the failure to keep a B average is so high. At 46% that's very nearly one failing kid for one passing. Is it due to the highschools not prepping well enough for college? Or the Colleges weeding them out in the introductory courses. With that kind of statistic I'm really curious as to what accounts for it. I mean don't the kids in Public High have to keep a certain GPA to get the scholarship?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 AM

College Drop Out Rates - Who's to Blame? - StateUniversity.com Blog

46% is higher then the national aveage, but When someone else is paying... I could see GA being higher.
There is said to be some 'Grade' inflation in High school grading, Some teacher will nudge a grade up a little because they know hope $ are in GPA, so if a final grade is boderline beween two grades, the teacher may push it up to the higher grade.

I Would prefer that Hope not index to income, Most High income parents/Students allready go out of state and/or go to private colleges (They get $3500 from hope instate private). But middle (upper middle class) students the state need to keep to build its future work force. Most students get jobs in the states where they went to school or nearby area's. So if Georgia shipped out there middle class students, Most will never return.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM

That's a very valid point flyonpa. I hadn't thought of it like that but it certainly makes sense. Were middle class. I did look at the Young Harris, but with three boys that really is out of my price range. I'm certainly hoping that the Hope Scholarship remains but as you suggested went retroactive. After all if homeschoolers can do it, it's reasonable for others.

I do think having the kids know they would not be recieving the money back would help retain more students. That way your not just giving the money, your letting them earn it.

I read the article you posted, very informative and thought provoking. I was wondering do you think the North Georgia College is supportive and encourages rentention? I'd like my sons first two years to be pleasant so I'd like a college that's small, supportive, with instructors vested in the success of their students.

I personally went to a associate program and that was a better fit for my first two years. Smaller classes, supportive Instructors. On a personal preference if we were rich my first choice would be a Private Accredited University. Unfortunately, without financial help cost is a factor. Anyhow we are touring the North Georgia College this October I'm hoping I like what I see and hear cause I have my heart set on living in the country, but I must think of the kids college. Dahlonega was suggested, so I have my fingers crossed. I also think I'd like Blue Ridge but I can't afford Young Harris College.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrendipity View Post
I read the article you posted, very informative and thought provoking. I was wondering do you think the North Georgia College is supportive and encourages rentention? I'd like my sons first two years to be pleasant so I'd like a college that's small, supportive, with instructors vested in the success of their students.
Anyhow we are touring the North Georgia College this October I'm hoping I like what I see and hear cause I have my heart set on living in the country, but I must think of the kids college. Dahlonega was suggested, so I have my fingers crossed. I also think I'd like Blue Ridge but I can't afford Young Harris College.
I think you will be impressed with North GA College.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Been thing about your son and college, If he starts college @ 15, by the time he's ready to transfer to Georgia Tech, he will be a JR? 17 in college, Getting to GT would be alot easyer to get to from Dahlonega, GDOT runs a bus from Cumming into ATL, and MARTA (Atlanta subway) runs from exit 5 off GA400/US19 right into Atlanta. Not sure I would want my teen son driving all the way to atlanta for classes. But stopping outside the I285 (OTP) and taking marta or the bus into town. Even know he's going to be a Jr in college at 17/18 For socal/well rounding reasons I would see if he can get into the Freshman dorm. (Its also a long drive to go to college each day at that age)

Just a few thoughts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia