Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,708 times

Advertisements

Hi was wondering if anyone could tell me about Jonesboro. I will start working there next month. Looking for a safe place a townhome and decent school district for my kids. What areas to avoid? I would appreciate the help.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM

339 posts, read 694,190 times
I will tell you now, base upon previous threads on the subject of Clayton County (aka Clayco) you will probably get replies that will tell you not to move to Jonesboro or anywhere else in Clayton Co (aka Clayco) because of crime, because of declining housing values, which I might add is also a problem in the Atlanta metro area period; some areas of the metro area are better than others this is true and Clayco, like a lot of other places has its issues, but Clayco is not the worst either.

Having said that, the issue with Jonesboro/Clayco that would be of most interest to you is the schools, they do leave alot to be desired for the most part. All schools in Clayton Co are not bad but you do have to do your homework/research.

There is nothing especially "wrong" with Jonesboro or those areas within Clayco south of Jonesboro (Lovejoy, part of Hampton, Bonanza, etc) going towards Spalding Co or going east/southeast towards Henry Co. in terms of finding a decent place to live. What you need to do is check out what schools are in Jonesboro and points south within ClayCo to see if they meet your needs.

If you are looking for a town home, is this a townhouse style apartment to rent or one to purchase? Not sure how prevalent this style of home/apartment is in Clayton Co. Whatever your housing needs, I suggest renting first to get a "lay of the land" before making any major long-term commitment, like a house purchase.

If, after you do your own research, you feel the need to expand out of Clayco, I would suggest, either Henry Co or Fayette Co. Depending upon where you live within those other counties, your commute to Jonesboro should not be bad at all and you will more than likely have more school districts to choose from that meet the needs of your children.

Oh one other thing, you didn't mention this in your post, but do you have a reliable car? There is no public transit within the 'Southern Crescent' area (Fayette, Henry, Clayton, Spalding, Coweta Counties) so a car is a must.

Good luck with your move!!

Last edited by NYPeach; 07-01-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 AM

630 posts, read 1,713,074 times
Nothing to add..NYPeach nailed it!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,829,850 times
Yes, that was a very honest and accurate post about Jonesboro and Clayton County. Good info. Points to NYPEACH!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,699 times
Hi,
I was just reading some of the posts pertaining to Jonesboro, my fiancé moved there about a week ago and I should be there pretty soon...we are moving from Florida, I was getting a little worried as every post I read seem to be about bad Jonesboro is and how bad the schools are....is there any one who actually lived or lives there that can share a little insight as to how Jonesboro really is

Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,760,447 times
My SIL lives in Jonesboro, has for 15 years, she has been trying to sell her house (on & off) for the last 6, no go. Her home is worth 1/3 of what she owes on it. She has a nice small house, in a neighborhood that has gone down hill at a rapid pace. She does not venture out at night, and overall does not feel safe in the area. She wants out.

With that said, I would imagine that there are some better areas of Jonesboro, I would suggest that you rent first, and get a lay of the land. I like what NYPeach
has to say, there are other counties to consider.

Best of Luck to you!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,419,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNALOVE101 View Post
Hi,
I was just reading some of the posts pertaining to Jonesboro, my fiancé moved there about a week ago and I should be there pretty soon...we are moving from Florida, I was getting a little worried as every post I read seem to be about bad Jonesboro is and how bad the schools are....is there any one who actually lived or lives there that can share a little insight as to how Jonesboro really is
I've lived in that area of town and know it quite well. It is not recommended to use the public schools there, there are just too many reasons to list. Just so you know, I usually say Jonesboro is fine for some people who want to live cheaply by renting a house or apartment and be close to their work, but for people with school-aged kids. No. Go elsewhere.

If you do any research here, the Clayton County school system is generally to be completely avoided. Maybe you will see things differently, but if I were you, I would seek out nearby Henry or Fayette counties to live and enroll kids in the schools there instead. Good luck on your move and decisions.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:12 PM

939 posts, read 791,795 times
Nobody who has a choice would choose Clayton Co. schools. Outside of the Lake Jodeco area, the rest of Jonesboro is in serious decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia