Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 24,072 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving from Kentucky to Riverdale Ga. to work for Delta Airlines and found a great deal on an apartment 6 miles from the airport . What can I expect as far as social life, restaurants,entertainment ,neighbors , etc. The posts on here are from several years back so I was hoping the area has improved . Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 02:52 PM

2,831 posts, read 4,561,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabcoinc View Post
Hi I am moving from Kentucky to Riverdale Ga. to work for Delta Airlines and found a great deal on an apartment 6 miles from the airport . What can I expect as far as social life, restaurants,entertainment ,neighbors , etc. The posts on here are from several years back so I was hoping the area has improved . Thanks in advance

No different from a black guy living in Woodstock or Canton. You will be fine, the area isn't that bad. As for social life, that will be whatever you make it.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,261,020 times
Quote:
You will be taking your life into your own hands. First off you will be pretty much the only white under the age of 80 in that area and unlike Canton or Woodstock the area is crime ridden and as dangerous as anywhere in the metro region. If you move to Riverdale don't say you werent warned!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,118,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
You will be taking your life into your own hands. First off you will be pretty much the only white under the age of 80 in that area and unlike Canton or Woodstock the area is crime ridden and as dangerous as anywhere in the metro region. If you move to Riverdale don't say you werent warned!
While I don't agree that just because you're white you'll automatically be a target, I do agree that comparing Riverdale/Clayton County to Canton/Woodstock/Cherokee County is comparing apples and oranges.

Clayton has a higher than average crime rate, but who knows if being white will make you more of a target. Depending on how you look, if you're the only white guy in the area, the locals may assume you're a cop and leave you alone.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:51 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,901,686 times
Attention white america:

Having "white" skin in a mostly black neighborhood does not automatically make you more susceptible to being a victim of crime. TV and movies have lied to you if you believe that.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,118,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Having "white" skin in a mostly black neighborhood does not automatically make you more susceptible to being a victim of crime. TV and movies have lied to you if you believe that.
To me it would be more about being conspicuous in a high crime neighborhood. That's never a good thing. It's also about managing your risk when choosing a place to live.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,261,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Attention white america:

I was born and raised in Clayton county when it was mostly white and experienced the change first hand. I can tell you and the original poster from experience that a young white guy in an all black apartment complex in Riverdale will be welcoming all sorts of trouble. To deny that is laughable.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM

81 posts, read 118,614 times
suprascooby22 is right. Riverdale is a bad place to be. I have been living in Clayton County for 20 years now and I feel like it's just getting worse everyday. I just cannot wait to move out.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 24,072 times
Gee Thanks I am having second thoughts any suggestions for the area around airport ?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 PM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Quote:
Gee Thanks I am having second thoughts any suggestions for the area around airport ?
There are plenty of options on the near north side; MARTA rail will take you directly to the airport, so Midtown, Buckhead and Dunwoody could be places to investigate. Vinings and Smyrna, because of the I-285 access to the airport, are popular with airport personnel as well. Then, of course, there's Peachtree City. It's popular with airport employees, but not so much with the singles...more of a family affair IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia