Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2006, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,950 times

Advertisements

My parent's job is relocating them to Atlanta. They are planning to live near my mother's job in Dunwoody, GA. Is that area pretty good? They are moving from Chicago, Il. How are race relations? Is it a peaceful area for them (late 40's)? How far from the city Atlanta (downtown area)? The move to the south will be quite an adjustment. I just wanted to see if I could get some honest answers about the area. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 09:27 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,158,550 times
I have to let you know, I am in the same boat, trying to get people to reply in Georgia. I am new to this forum, and maybe I am doing something wrong????
Maybe topics have already been covered. But I have searched the forum for the area I am looking for and don't see much. Maybe the area I am looking for info. on isn't so technical? Just had to reply, sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Old 08-14-2006, 09:43 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
Dunwoody/Sandy Spring is very cool place and upscale. Just make sure to avoid Roswell Road. There are a lot of older homes with characters (you don't see that in Atlanta very often). It is easy to go to downtown since you can just hop on MARTA train. Great shop place in Perimeter mall (probably second best mall behind Lenox mall in BuckHead). A lot of transplants. Won't be that much different culture from Chicago or Boston.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 AM

100 posts, read 429,302 times
Hi dcndn,

I work in Dunwoody. It is a very nice area. Upscale, diverse, beautiful homes, lots of great shopping! There was just an article in the Atlanta paper this weekend about how the Perimeter area (where Dunwoody is) has the most jobs in the whole Metro area, while still having plenty of housing options close by.

The residential area is very peaceful and I think they will find a lot of the residents are in their age range. Lots of older homes and 25-30 year old homes on gorgeous tree-lined streets, as well as new construction (that is wildly expensive!). It's only about 10-20 minutes into the city, depending on what part of Dunwoody you are in, what time of day you are traveling, and where in the city you are going.

Bear in mind, the Atlanta area is not really "The South" as you probably imagine it. It is a city full of people from all over the US and the World. As the locals like to say: "Atlanta is not a Southern City; it is just a city in the South."

Old 08-15-2006, 12:56 AM

11 posts, read 68,341 times
Default ny88

The Dunwoody and North Fulton County is a wonderful area. I am a northerner and love the Atlanta area. The race relations are better here than up north. It does not even feel like the South in most of Atlanta area. If you go further out in the rural areas than the race relations can be worse.Even in the small towns race relations are improving. Further east in Dekalb County on Buford Highway is International Village, with all kinds of International Cultures (Asian and Hispanic). Atlanta area is beautiful. It is a very cosmopolitan and educated city. It has many trees, older neighborhoods, hills, and mountains nearby (which you won't find in Chicago). Dunwoody-Sandy Springs have a satellite city with 50 story skyscrapers. However, it still has tree lined, shady neighborhoods on hills. Cost of living is reasonable and wages are among the best in the South. The only downfall is that Traffic is horrendous at times. You want to live really close to where you work.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,950 times
Thank you so much to everyone who replied. Your comments were extremely helpful. My mothers job is in dunwoody so her commute will be minimal, due to them living in the area as well (ie, traffic). Yeah, after all the hustle and bustle in Chicago...a nice peaceful area will be nice. I live in the Washington DC area so I guess when I need some peace and quiet at a slower pace, this will be a good place to escape. Thank you again to all...Great info!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia