U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM

73 posts, read 64,569 times
Default NYC to Athens??

So I've been reading these forums for a few years now, and it's about time I posted!

I'm a 26 year old single guy currently living in Brooklyn, NY and working as a Personal Trainer in Manhattan. I've grown up and spent my whole life in NY, and frankly, I need a change. I could think of a million reasons why this area is such an amazing place to live, but also have a list just as long as why I need to relocate.

I'm looking not only to relocate, but also go back to school for my masters degree, and UGA has a few programs I have been looking at, especially the Public Health school.

I'm a really active guy, love to be outside, run, hike, explore, I'm also very into music (I've been playing guitar for about a decade). To give you an idea of my personality, I'm definitely not a club type guy...at all. Give me some good food, cold beers and friends and I'm happy. I love hockey and football, especially college football, so sports bars are always fun. Also love coffee shops and mom and pop style cafe's, bookstores. Anything along those lines.

I'm craving more nature, cleaner air, less stress and noise. Some cute girls without a NY attitude wouldn't hurt either

I definitely lean to the liberal side on social issues, but stay out of politics for the most part. I'm not religious in the slightest bit either.

Any info on the areas around campus, downtown, lifestyle, what it would be like for a single mid-20's guy from NYC in GA.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,154 times
I'm a UGA alumni and all the things you've mentioned would match very well with Athens. Great place to be athletic as there are intramural leagues of all types of sports. Large lawns and fields to play ultimate frisbee, football, soccer, etc. North GA mountains is only a little more than a hour away if you really like the outdoors. Then there's the local Athens music scene as you mentioned your music interest. Football pretty much explains itself there. This college town is pretty liberal as well. After graduating, I do miss that college town lifestyle.

I must say though, NYC to Athens is a big change. I would definitely recommend a visit here first and there's no better time than now with college football season in process.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the response laugopow. I'm actually planning to drive down with some buddies Thanksgiving weekend for the GT-UGA game. Not too sure how much I'll be able to explore the town since I'm sure most of the time will be spent tailgating, but I'm looking forward to it.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,795,543 times
Be sure to checkout Flagpole -- flagpole.com, and their Flagpole Guide to Athens.

Got to Big City Bread which is walkable from downtown.

Take a look at:
"The best seat in the South" - Athens, Georgia

Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 AM

470 posts, read 822,870 times
Very simply - fun

Old 09-16-2010, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the links. The photo gallery was really cool. How much do apt. shares usually go for somewhere close to campus?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,154 times
Pretty cheap compared to NYC, since the demographic are young college students. You can find $200 - $400 rentals with your own room. Depends on your needs, proximity to campus, how many roommates you can endure, etc. Most of these will be along a bus route of the Athens Transit which is free for students. Many students will also sublease with numerous fliers across the campus.

Check out bulldogrent or athens, GA apts/housing craigslist. You can find a really good deal sometimes... like a student studying abroad next semester and wants to sublease asap.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:44 PM

7 posts, read 11,809 times
Definitely cheap apartments. Lived off Baxter St. not even a mile from campus and paid under $500 for a one bedroom in real quiet neighborhood....walking distance to Spec Towns Track and plenty of decent places to eat...and best of all, plenty of fine girls on Milledge.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 PM

218 posts, read 361,152 times
Sounds like Athens is a possibility for you.

And if you ever miss the big-city scene, Atlanta is about 75-90 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia