Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 PM

209 posts, read 543,773 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Georgia. Square footage is inconsistent. Within our subdivision the same house has different square footage on tax records. It's baffling and frustrating when you go to sell and those numbers are out there. If you love the house go with it. You should tell your agent to let the homeowner and their agent know how unhappy you are. Maybe then the seller and agent will want to make you happy by helping with closing costs or adjusting the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,667 times
Default Wrong square footage

I do not agree with those who say, you like the house and bought it for that reason, not for the square footage. 18 months ago I purchased a townhome that was listed at 1560 square feet. I wanted a home bigger than one I had before at 1444. I thought, great, 1560 is perfect. The listing and tax record had it at 1560. However, in the back of my mind I found it hard to believe it was larger than the other one, but I thought, it had to be because it was listed that way. But I was still not convinced so I called the assessor who came out and remeasured and came up with 1350, 210 feet less than what listed. If the same home would have shown 1350 I would never have been intereted. And what about putting it on the market, now at 1350? I would never get my money back from the original purchase, regardless of the real estate market. 210 feet difference is like a third bedroom or a den. If I go after the realtor, they will say, go to the assessor. Buying a home is a major purchase and investment and should not be treated lightly as some folks say. Any suggestion where I should go from here. Help and advice is appreciated. The home is in Arizona. Thanks.

Jim

Old 01-20-2008, 07:07 AM

893 posts, read 779,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Do you like the house? does it suit you? Then why on earth fret about this?

If your taxes are based on the higher figure, and you are complaining because of what you feel is higher taxes, then you could ask for a remeasurement. But be warned that it might come out even higher. sometimes the taxable figure is base on everything, porches, sheds, carport, utility room, and other measurements include ONLY living space. You could be opening a can of worms.

One house we lived in included a 8x8 plywood playhouse for the kids. We had put it up on concrete blocks on the corners, therefore, it had a "foundation" and it was big enough for someone to sleep in. So it was counted.
He cares because ultimately he'd be paying more per square foot than maybe it's worth for the area and when comes time to sell he'll have to eat the difference. It's always about resale!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 39,059 times
This exact issue is why georgia realtors do not list square footage on a house. The history of this is that it was listed once upon a time and after closing the buyer had teh house "officially" measured and it was something like 54 sq ft small than "advertised. Fact is, 54 ft doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things and your taxes are based on the "fair market value" of your home, not your square footage. In georgia, most homes are compared based upon number of bedrooms and bathrooms, other amenities and general condition of the house.

Best of luck in your new house...i'm sure you'll enjoy it ;->

Old 01-20-2008, 04:22 PM

857 posts, read 4,868,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
He cares because ultimately he'd be paying more per square foot than maybe it's worth for the area and when comes time to sell he'll have to eat the difference. It's always about resale!!!!!!!!!
If homes her were sold at a set price per square foot then you would have a valid point, but peopel buy houses because they like the layout, the decor, the neighborhood, and any number of factors. They don't buy by the SF.
There is a reason that they don't list the SF on listings. Because it is irrelevant. I have been in homes that were 2200 sf and felt larger than ones that were 2500 sf just because the layout was better.
If I were the OP I would just forget about the SF discrepancy and just enjoy my new home for all of the reasons that I picked it in the first place.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times
This isn't unique to GA. Our house in MA was officially listed with less than the correct sq footage, due to a mistake in the assessor's office.

If you saw the property, and you liked it, and it meets your needs, then what's the big deal? What does it matter what it says on paper, as long as the home is fine for you? If it's a tax issue, then do what's already been said and have the assessment corrected.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:13 AM

173 posts, read 497,657 times
I am planning to buy a winter home here in GA and find the lack of sq footage info very frustrating when shopping. I lived in a state that measured it religiously, used it for all comps, and people talked about it in describing houses. I am very used to having that figure and believe it does matter because it is space we are buying. I hate not having the figures available and don't understand why it's hard to get here when it's standard other places.
I would be like original poster-very concerned that it's off so much.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:12 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox1 View Post
I am planning to buy a winter home here in GA and find the lack of sq footage info very frustrating when shopping. I lived in a state that measured it religiously, used it for all comps, and people talked about it in describing houses. I am very used to having that figure and believe it does matter because it is space we are buying. I hate not having the figures available and don't understand why it's hard to get here when it's standard other places.
I would be like original poster-very concerned that it's off so much.
When we moved to GA, we found the lack of listing the square footage curious, and it we found it limiting when trying to search the MLS for potential houses to view. Seems really silly not to list such an important attribute but I guess some past lawsuit made realtors shy away from doing it, and then it became accepted practice in GA.

Once you narrow down potential houses to go see, you can review the property assessment on the web at the county assessor's site, and you can view the diagram and see the square footage number that the county has recorded for the property. You can also see the price paid for the property by the current owner before you decide to make an offer.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 AM

you can review the property assessment on the web at the county assessor's site, and you can view the diagram and see the square footage number that the county has recorded for the property. You can also see the price paid for the property by the current owner before you decide to make an offer.

I am currently considering a counteroffer. This would be great to have, but when I go to the Pickens co site, I only find the tax assessors monthly meeting info. Could you elaborate on how to do this?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 AM

I think I found the site. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: