Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 PM

274 posts, read 860,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
so besides quit her term as Alaska's Gov, what has she actually done?
She's made a helluva lot more money than she would have ever made as governor and, sad to say, but look at the notority she's brought to the tea party. It's all about the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:29 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
If I were Palin I'd much rather be doing what she is now. As a popular commentator, you pretty much have free rein to fire away at anybody. You get to work from home. You make a fortune and you don't get blamed for the economy or anything else.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 AM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
Hmm, will Palin win Georgia? It depends on what's going on in 2012. If the economy and world stage are sound and Obama coasts to reelection, then Obama could win the state against Palin. If this is not the case, then Palin or any Republican will win Georgia. I will say, though, that I know a lot of Republicans here who simply will not vote for her.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
She is a cheerleader.

The really well-qualified won't run. Condeleeza Rice would be my choice.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
I hope she runs, that would guarantee an Obama victory. I might donate some money to Palin so she will run

Old 11-14-2010, 03:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan83 View Post
so besides of running for President almost the entire time he was in the US Senate, what had Obama actually done?
Well, I decided to find out as well. According to Answers.com: In his first week in office, Barack Obama did the following:
  • Froze the salaries for top White House staff members. This is a largely symbolic act, but might be an important one.
  • Set a deadline for the closing of Guantanamo Bay. Some of his supporters would say this is a great thing because they believe it operates as something from the Dark Ages. Others believe this characterization to not be true, and that no plan will be put place to determine what to do with the prisoners. Time will tell.
  • Fast-tracked the process to apply new fuel standards to 2011 car models AND initiated steps to allow California to set its own standards for auto emissions that are stricter than that of the Federal government. Again, this is a measure that some of his supporters hail as a grand step forward, while his detractors (or flamers) point out that it could provide an additional severe drag on the economy, especially in car manufacturing areas.
  • Signed a detailed executive order to ban torture and inhumane treatment of prisoners.
  • Asked the military leadership to engage in additional planning necessary to execute a responsible military draw down from Iraq.
  • Released the interrogation memos without consulting the Bush staff and/or Bush about it. And they were only partially released some of the information in the memos were not made public.
  • Signed an executive order that restored a 30-day time frame for former presidents to review records before they are released. It also eliminated the right for the vice president or family members of former presidents to do the reviews.
  • Signed an executive order that requires that appointees sign forms saying that they were not hired because of political affiliations or contributions. This is far from an unbeatable measure, but is an important early step towards cleaning up governmental hiring policies. It is easier to prove someone lied when their signature is right next to the statement in question.
  • Signed an order banning gifts from lobbyists and banning anyone from working in an agency they had lobbied in previous years. Promptly made the order toothless by immediately granting a waiver to a former defense lobbyist.
  • Lifted a ban on giving federal money to international groups that perform abortions or provide abortion information.
  • Granted his first TV interview as president to Al-Arabiya, a channel described as a "voice of moderation" to the Middle East. His supporters call this a very smart move to help angered nations and groups feel a bit less cast aside, and let them know that they need not resort to violence to be made a part of the world discussion. Detractors point out that this is the type of thing Neville Chamberlain would have done, though a TV interview and "the Munch Agreement" are leagues apart.

In his first 7 months in office
  • He's done quite a lot actually.
  • He has so far passed an economic recovery bill which has met mixed criticism but is slowly progressing. He has passed the AMD Stabilization and Support bill which was tailored to help stabilize and strengthen the United States Military, and has shown improvement within the standard. President Obama has also been working on other proposals, bills, and acts to be passed on topics such as Health Care reform, Education, the Mortgage crisis, the war on Al-Qaeda, and Domestic policy.
  • Promised to send additional troops to Afghanistan in March and began the pullout of troops in Iraq.
  • Passed the bailout of the auto industry and pressured their management to tow the party line.
  • Waffled on sending troops and allowed those serving no suffer from lack of support. (If you had to send 30,000 Americans to a war zone I bet you would hesitate unless I realized lives were at stake and I was in charge)
  • Refused to allow open meetings regarding health care reform as promised.
  • Passed more tax increases on middle America than any other President.
  • Encouraged Cap and trade passage to increase demand of foreign oil and raise the cost of our supply. (How does cap and trade increase demand? (See discussion))
  • Promised to make tough decisions regarding the ability to continue paying medicare payments. Cutting $400 billion from their budget.
  • Insulted police doing their jobs making the office look foolish. (How? (See discussion)

First Year:

• Sent troops to Afghanistan but pulled troops out of Iraq (What planet? He has nt pulled out of Iraq!) we are now at 115,000 troops as of 2/11/2010! Zero actual draw down.
  • Made a more transparent form of Government (almost daily daily Facebook Q&A's with his staff) Has had more closed door meetings then any previous administration. Even his open door committee only has closed door meetings!
  • Tried several times to get the Republicans to join him and get bi-partizanship on the destruction of democracy. Republicans did not wish to contribute!
  • Passed a stimulus package that is creating no jobs across the country. This bill has given more to the rich then every previous President combined!
  • Well on his way to passing the HC bill which will ration health care to most Americans and help less then 12 million. The cost will destroy our children's and grand children's future.
  • Managed to have the two worst months for deficit spending ever. (The two Februarys he has been President)

Forgive me, but I just don't understand peoples' obsession with her, other than she's attractive. No one with her merits alone should ever reach the presidency. (or vice presidency). She is a marketing tool. Guess I'm just of the kind that believes my leaders should at least be alumnus of prestigious universities. (Again, admitted on their OWN educational excellence, Dubya)

Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
I'm amazed by a lot of the above, but let's just go with "Passed more tax increases on middle America than any other President."

I'm pretty sure Obama has actually reduced taxes on the middle class. So, let's have some kind of justification for this dramatic claim, please.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
CNN--'Is Sarah Palin's Reality Show a Mega Campaign Ad?'

That is what I assumed---they can discuss the possibility all day.

I watched about 5 minutes of the rock climbing segment. fwiw

Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Forgive me, but I just don't understand peoples' obsession with her, other than she's attractive.
http://bestsmileys.com/freak/3.gif (broken link)

Ok, this aside....

Remember that this is the Atlanta room, folks. So if you wish to discuss Palin, it should be done so in the context of, "Would people in ATLANTA vote for her", how they feel about her, etc. Otherwise, I'll have to move this to the Georgia room. So steer it with an Atlanta leaning if you'd like it to stay in this room, please. Thank you.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:18 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
CNN--'Is Sarah Palin's Reality Show a Mega Campaign Ad?'

That is what I assumed---they can discuss the possibility all day.

I watched about 5 minutes of the rock climbing segment. fwiw
I tried to be open minded last night, just in case she actually gets the nomination. Plus, the focus was supposed to be on Alaska, and I was looking forward to learning more about the state. I last less than 30 minutes. She turned me off within 10 by that whole thing about her neighbor.

So again, a big fat NO vote here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia