Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 02:11 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times

Advertisements

Where would you buy? My husband and I want to purchase a cabin in the mountains. Something that we can rent out and also enjoy and maybe retire to. We would want something that is close to hiking, fishing, grocery store, etc. to get it on a rental program. I don't think I would want any more than an acre or two of level property. I know that I definately want a creek/river and he wants a mountain view with a creek.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
The big question is "how much". How much you are willing to spend will dictate where to look.

I could tell you that for what you are looking for, I've seen several properties in Rabun County that fit that description in the $300K+ range. That's where I ended up buying. There's one I'm thinking of that's on about 9 acres on a stream that is about $450K. I'm sure you can find some others on 1-2 acres for a little less. Water and mountain views don't come cheap. Blue Ridge is another place to look at. I almost bought a place there for $250K, but the seller wanted $300K. Also, you might want to see what you can find in Hiawassee.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:56 PM

we are looking right around $300K or under. We have been focusing on Blue Ridge, and have been trying to get up there on the weekends, but with the weather being so iffy...

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM

I'm just currious, what is the big draw to Blue Ridge? I looked there when I was in the market for a cabin - it was the first area that I seriously examined, on recomendation of a close friend in Atlanta who was also a realtor. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty up there, but I didn't find it as appealing as Haiwassee and Clayton.

The first place I did some serious looking for a place was in Blue Ridge. I got with a realtor who spent one and a half days showing me properties. There were a lot of areas around Blue Ridge that I didn't much care for, particularly in the Mineral Bluff area. Anything more than about 2 acres was very hard to find. Also, several of the houses/cabins I looked at were near some real dumps. I did make an offer on 5 acres and a partially refurbished cabin. I think it was about $250K, but I was turned down, they were holding out for $300K. Perhaps they got it, but I am glad they turned me down.

We decided to look in Rabun Co, on someone's advice. I spent another couple of days up there and after looking at about 13 properties, found four that I really liked in my price range, ended up buying one. I'm much happier with the Clayton / Tiger /Rabun Gap area. Bigger mountains, waterfalls, beautiful lakes and the nearby Chatooga river. Plenty to keep me, the wife and the kid having fun for a long time. Near Franklin NC and Highlands, NC. Plus, you can always rent out cabins during the kayaking / rafting season if you are within about 7 miles from the river.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 38,046 times
There are two sides to the Blue Ridge area. The Mineral Bluff area is ugly to me. As is anything near McCaysville. The beauty is Hwy 60 out of Dahlonaga to a small town called Morganton. If you turn right when Hwy 60 ends onto 76 its a pretty ride to Blairsville. Or you could stop short of Morganton and take Skeena Gap Road it dead ends into 76 and a right takes you to Blairsville and a left right back into Blue Ridge.

For a shorter scenic trip take Aska Rd until it deadends. Turn left, continue til it deadends into Dial Rd. (Right across the Toccoa River.) Turn right and go until it deadends and you will be on Hwy 60. A left is back to Morganton and then Blue Ridge.....a right is a curvy mountainous beautiful ride to Dahlonaga.

With the economy changing, look for some deals in this area. The weekend cabin owners from Atl and Fl bought way over their heads. Already some places going up in flames after being on the market a while. But, 250,000 for a home on water is sorta low, unless you get lucky and are not choosy.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 AM

Gamtserenity, I made an offer on a cabin in Morganton about 2 years ago. I think I offered somewhere around $240K for a small 3/1 on about 3.5 acres. They didn't accept my offer, and I thought I was too high as it was.

What are similar cabins selling for in the Morganton area presently? Have prices there plunged or are they still holding value?

I know that in Rabun Co. area, prices have stabilized but haven't really dropped as far as I can tell. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the market in your neck of the woods.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:31 PM

So we finally were able to take a ride up to Blue Ridge today. I called for something I saw on Craigs List. It said Blue Ridge, but was really Mineral Bluff. I definately did not like the area. Lots of yard art up to the cabins we viewed. Then we went into downtown Blue Ridge and it was quaint, although we couldn't find anywhere decent to eat that was open in the area.

Prichard, The reason we are begining to focus on Blue Ridge is our accessbility from 575 in Woodstock. I hate driving so, an hour is just about right. We also feel that to get into a rental program, we want to be somewhat close to town, but still have some land. We also want the closeness for the hiking, rafting that visitors want to enjoy....

The journey begins.....

Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 AM

Yep, stay away from Mineral Bluff. If I recall spur 60 goes up that direction, and it is a heavily traveled road. I looked at several properties up there - lots of property was industrial, everything was right off of the big road. Also, that little stretch isn't very mountianous for some reason. All I could think was driving from Florida to relax right next to a big loud highway!

I can see why you are looking at Blue Ridge - it would be an easy drive from Woodstock. Those locals up there think they are sitting on gold. I can't blame them for wanting to cash in on the trend of Atlantians buying into Blue Ridge, but be careful - I found them a little sharp to deal with for my liking. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I can see why you are looking at Blue Ridge - it would be an easy drive from Woodstock. Those locals up there think they are sitting on gold. I can't blame them for wanting to cash in on the trend of Atlantians buying into Blue Ridge, but be careful - I found them a little sharp to deal with for my liking. Good luck!
Thanks, we have an awesome realtor who is on top of her game...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia