Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

I just read that Fannin County and Gilmer County are both planning to use the Dr. King holiday as a "school day". Okay, I understand that school has been closed for so many days because of the snow. I understand those days have to be made up somewhere, but WHY on Dr. King day? He was a great civil rights leader and it took alot to get a holiday to honor him. Why not just use some extra days from summer break?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/26487284/detail.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM

606 posts, read 2,004,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I just read that Fannin County and Gilmer County are both planning to use the Dr. King holiday as a "school day". Okay, I understand that school has been closed for so many days because of the snow. I understand those days have to be made up somewhere, but WHY on Dr. King day? He was a great civil rights leader and it took alot to get a holiday to honor him. Why not just use some extra days from summer break?

MLK Snow Make-Up Day Angers Civil Rights Groups - News Story - WSB Atlanta (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/26487284/detail.html - broken link)
Yeah, I don't understand why they choose MLK Day out of all days to make up a day. Why not cut spring break by a day ? I guarantee you if this school wasn't 90-95% white they would not be going to school on MLK Day. Could you imagine a predominantly black school going to school on MLK Day ? Sounds to me like racism is still an issue in North GA. It will be interesting to see if they still have classes on Presidents Day or whether they choose to use that as a make up day as well. If they still observe President's Day but have classes on MLK Day, then that's a joke.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
The teachers could use this as a learning activity. Teach about MLK on that day, I;m willing to bet that if he kids had school off 99% of them would not even think about MLK and what he did. Just another day off to play video games. How better to 'Honor' him, Teach about him.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The teachers could use this as a learning activity. Teach about MLK on that day, I;m willing to bet that if he kids had school off 99% of them would not even think about MLK and what he did. Just another day off to play video games. How better to 'Honor' him, Teach about him.
99% of the kids wouldn't think about MLK because they are WHITE. Lots of racist white folks in North GA, particularly areas like Cherokee, Foryth Counties and points north.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
It doesn't surprise me that Fannin and Gilmer counties are doing this. I have been up there. It is a totally different world than where I live. I wouldn't like living up there.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 PM

152 posts, read 525,365 times
Well pirate I'm sure they wouldn't care for you either. And Matt its good to see such open minded liberals make broad generalizations.

If you read the article, you'd see they have to make up 9 days. You can't do that on spring break alone. And honestly, most people don't do anything to celebrate MLK day. I highly doubt people who have the day off are sitting in their house watching his speeches or something. No, they're doing what they do on a Saturday or any other day off. Same things as Presidents Day, Memorial Day, etc. Although I guess we don't need to be as sensitive toward Washington, Lincoln, or military veterans.

For most of us in the business world, it's another day at work. Since I don't work for the gov't or a bank, I have never had it off.

And just like I'm sure city leaders in Atlanta don't care about what people from North Georgia think...that feeling is likely mutual.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
Well pirate I'm sure they wouldn't care for you either. And Matt its good to see such open minded liberals make broad generalizations.

If you read the article, you'd see they have to make up 9 days. You can't do that on spring break alone. And honestly, most people don't do anything to celebrate MLK day. I highly doubt people who have the day off are sitting in their house watching his speeches or something. No, they're doing what they do on a Saturday or any other day off. Same things as Presidents Day, Memorial Day, etc. Although I guess we don't need to be as sensitive toward Washington, Lincoln, or military veterans.

For most of us in the business world, it's another day at work. Since I don't work for the gov't or a bank, I have never had it off.

And just like I'm sure city leaders in Atlanta don't care about what people from North Georgia think...that feeling is likely mutual.
Maybe they shouldn't have taken a week off for Thanksgiving. After all, why do we even celebrate Thanksgiving ? Does it have any religious importance ?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,480 times
Matt8325 - The Presidents Day break was cancelled at least a week before they made the MLK day decision. So, there goes your white supremacy theory!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girly123 View Post
Matt8325 - The Presidents Day break was cancelled at least a week before they made the MLK day decision. So, there goes your white supremacy theory!
Yeah but will they cancel any spring break days ? I doubt it. THey probably value Spring Break over MLK Day. I don't hear a lot of white people up there complaining about going to school on MLK Day but I guarantee you if they cut into spring break they'd be complaining.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Yeah but will they cancel any spring break days ? I doubt it. THey probably value Spring Break over MLK Day. I don't hear a lot of white people up there complaining about going to school on MLK Day but I guarantee you if they cut into spring break they'd be complaining.
Hmm.....could that be because people plan vacations for when they have a week off, whereas having a day off for MLK day doesn't usually allow for a vacation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia