U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 26,716 times

Advertisements

We were wondering if the N. Ga Mountain towns get any snow? We are from Detroit area and Kansas City, Mo. area and want more snow. We lived in Marietta for 6 years and loved it. We currently live in Cartersville...but it is a semi-temporary situation...probably for the next year or two. I am just trying to think ahead to where we may want to go.
Here are things we look for...
We like the ammentities of "city life" (semi close if not with in the town we live in)
Close enough to atlanta(or other big city) to go to a concert every now and then
Snow...
Safe for the kids
We like hiking, camping and rivers/lakes
We are chiropractors, so we would prefer a town that has none or few

I guess that is a good start.
I understand that what we want may not exist, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone thinks.
We would be willing to branch out to alabama or tennessee as well.
Health is also a major consideration...I heard something about a chemical problem in the N. ga. area that is causing health problems???

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Last edited by nicnac; 07-17-2007 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Title was not clear enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 26,716 times
anyone have any thoughts??????????

Old 07-17-2007, 08:33 PM

218 posts, read 849,530 times
There is a decent amount of snow that falls up there, but, no places in Georgia get the snow you are inquiring about. Most people move here to get AWAY from snow, so if you want to move further north, you should consider other things besides that.

Have you considered Rome, Georgia? I have a friend that just moved up there to get away from fast-paced Atlanta and really likes it. I don't know much about north Georgia I was born and raised in Atlanta/the surrounding Atlanta area so I wish I could help you out more. I just wanted to give you SOME place to start.

Haven't heard of any health problems up there...was there a place in particular?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM

201 posts, read 784,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
There is a decent amount of snow that falls up there, but, no places in Georgia get the snow you are inquiring about. Most people move here to get AWAY from snow, so if you want to move further north, you should consider other things besides that.

Have you considered Rome, Georgia? I have a friend that just moved up there to get away from fast-paced Atlanta and really likes it. I don't know much about north Georgia I was born and raised in Atlanta/the surrounding Atlanta area so I wish I could help you out more. I just wanted to give you SOME place to start.

Haven't heard of any health problems up there...was there a place in particular?
Amen about getting AWAY from the snow!! That's why we want to leave the Michigan area. To see that was like "music to my eyes"! It's a confirmation that Georgia is for us -- tired of shovelling, de-icing, slippery roads, and (no disrepect to him) Frosty the Snowman!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 AM

1,418 posts, read 7,041,553 times
The Georgia Moutains get a little snow maybe a few times each year. It's real hit and miss. I'm talking about that area that is within about 15 miles from the NC border. It could be snowing on the top of one bald but not the others surrounding it. There used to be snow skiing in Sky Valley Ga. about 25 years ago, but its too warm and snow is so seldom to have seasonal skiing up there anymore.

Highlands North Carolina (about 15 miles north of the NE border of Georgia) gets considerabley more snow than the Georgia mountains - it's also about 1000 ft. higher in elevation. Even that would be considered very light by northern standards.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM

138 posts, read 481,419 times
Lordy, you do not want to see snow in Georgia if you are in a car. These folks can not drive in even a dusting of snow.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM

27,153 posts, read 22,578,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
Amen about getting AWAY from the snow!! That's why we want to leave the Michigan area. To see that was like "music to my eyes"! It's a confirmation that Georgia is for us -- tired of shovelling, de-icing, slippery roads, and (no disrepect to him) Frosty the Snowman!!!
How ironic. One of the reasons I want to leave GA is because we don't get enough snow. I don't mind shoveliing it as long as I can play in it(sleighs, snowball fights, etc.).

Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM

27,153 posts, read 22,578,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnac View Post
We were wondering if the N. Ga Mountain towns get any snow? We are from Detroit area and Kansas City, Mo. area and want more snow. We lived in Marietta for 6 years and loved it. We currently live in Cartersville...but it is a semi-temporary situation...probably for the next year or two. I am just trying to think ahead to where we may want to go.
Here are things we look for...
We like the ammentities of "city life" (semi close if not with in the town we live in)
Close enough to atlanta(or other big city) to go to a concert every now and then
Snow...
Safe for the kids
We like hiking, camping and rivers/lakes
We are chiropractors, so we would prefer a town that has none or few

I guess that is a good start.
I understand that what we want may not exist, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone thinks.
We would be willing to branch out to alabama or tennessee as well.
Health is also a major consideration...I heard something about a chemical problem in the N. ga. area that is causing health problems???

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
To be honest, snow is a novelty in Atlanta, and even the mountains don't get as much snow as one may like. The closest you will get to Atlanta and still get lots of snow is the central Appalachians(VA,KY) or Ohio.

I have lived in GA for 13 years and at best you might see 3 inches of snow(and it melts after a day). Many cases you won't get snow, but ice.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 AM

1,418 posts, read 7,041,553 times
Quote:
is there an area or town in northwest ga that gets alot of snow and is in the mountains!?
No. Nowhere in Georgia gets a lot of snow. Maybe the town of Tiger got a little snow this year - that's certainly possible. I have a place right outside of Clayton, and was up there in January and February of this year - didn't see any snow where I was, but saw that it was snowing a little on another mountain top. It's real hit and miss, and when it does snow up there, its not what you would think of as a lot of snow - often melts when it hits the ground; sometimes a very light covering - 1 inch on the ground that lasts maybe 1 day.

If you are dead set on Georgia, I'd say that the area that gets perhaps the most snow would be between Lake Burton and Haiwassee. That's probably the most mountainous part of Georgia. Maybe in the Warwoman Dell area (NE of downtown Clayton) too - that's pretty mountainous there as well.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:23 PM

483 posts, read 1,435,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUE14 View Post
is there an area or town in northwest ga that gets alot of snow and is in the mountains!?
No. There's really only one not-very-tall mountain in NW GA (part of Lookout Mtn. in TN) and it doesn't get much snow.

There are lots of higher mountains in NE GA, and they may see a few 'snow days' every winter. Maybe every 10-20 years, a snow big enough to paralyze everything for a week or more (unless global warming has put a stop to that).
I've never met anyone here who owned snowshoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia