U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
my wife and I were reading a lot on here last night, looking for opinions on where to move. thing is, she is from a very small town in Idaho and I am from a small town in central FL. living in south FL, we see many rude people and drives us nuts. we are getting very very sick of it and have been for a while. we have a new addition to the family now. Baby Emily is 6 months old and it is more of a reason to move.

recently a good friend proposed a job opportunity to me, getting me out of Florida. of course, i am all over it. he told me to find a city in GA, let him look into things and he would get back to me. he also wants me to look in NC.

basically i will be running a smaller shipping/receiving warehouse for his business. so finding a place to live doesn't necessarily have to be decided from job opportunities in the area.

School district is pretty high on our list but our 6 month old has a while before that time comes. my thoughts are that if and when we move, we will be there for a while and have enough time to check further into the area on which we like best for schools and such.

my true question here is where should we move? we are done with the fast city life (never really liked it in the first place). we both want a small town feel, mountains and outdoors, snow in the winter, leaves changing, etc. yes, everything we cant get in Florida. ha.

we are currently paying 1750 for rent. ridiculous i know. we were looking at houses around 1000 to 1200 and they look so nice. HUGE. views are amazing. what we need is a 4/2 or so..

Dawsonville and Dahlonega are high on out list. thoughts?
I moved from Phoenix to Homer. 1100 people in Homer and not one place to buy a head of cabbage. You must drive 20 miles round trip to a Wal-mart. But alas, you can't patranage a dentist, optomitrist, rent a movie, buy autoparts, buy bakery goods, buy fruit and veggies, nor obtain any resturant food after 2 pm. If you want to live in a dead town, Homer is your place. If you want to live in the 21st century run run very fast from this God forsaken podunk dead, town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
another thing to add is that we would still like to be in a modern town. things like a shopping mall, walmart, dinning out, etc.
As stated above - disreguard the comment below about Homer - You have nothing in Homer, but one Convienence store, One dollar store, 4 banks but you can NOT shop for anything. Malls, Civilization, Dining out sorry, hitch up your horse and buggy and drive 10 miles to Commerce and you can eat at resturants and shop at outlet strip centers, or second hand stores in shopping centers but no modern convienence in Homer what so ever!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
While not in the mountains, you might look around Homer. There is some snow in the winter (trust me, the novelty wears off pretty quickly) and it is minutes from I-85, which is a direct route the Carolinas. You get much further out and you are not going to have malls, dining, wal-mart, etc.
Sorry Keeshonder I live in Homer and this town never left the 18th century. Walmart, malls, he77 there isn't even a place to buy a head of cabbage. Rent a movie forget it, dentist, eye doctor, bakery, forget it. People love the backward horse and buggy on a Sunday afternoon. But then again they have never left Banks County, they only learned of shoes several years ago and they're not a big seller yet.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,093,264 times
Actually Young Harris sounds perfect for the OP since there's some Klan presence there. Between them, the aryan nation and ga militia, I'd imagine they're probably keeping the jews at bay.

(I'm refering of course to reply #12)

Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,667 times
You can live in the North Ga Mountains. That will be all that you are looking for!

Also, Tucker Ga and Henry county are known for their great school systems. Brookwood school district is awesome as well, they are in Lawrenceville Ga.

I live in Lawrenceville and we get snow time to time.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,138 times
Look at Dacula... it is youthful, has great schools, near Hyws 85 and 316. I moved here several years ago from South Florida to North GA. Dacula is still growing and has the kind of housing you seem to be interested in as well as industrial areas (warehouses) tucked away from the residential areas (off 316). It is a City that is nicely intergrated too.

GOOD LUCK... Hope to see you here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia