Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 AM

67 posts, read 236,952 times

Advertisements

Ummmm how can I put this...it is a beautiful area around there, however some of the people up there are not with the times as far as how they treat others of diversity. Now I know this is not true of everyone & I am not trying to say something negative, but you may want to visit first or at least come up with alternatives to Cartersville if at all possible. My best friend is from there & it is not a very diverse area from what I can tell. It is only 20 minutes up 1-75 from where I live, but there is a big difference. I am trying to be delicate as to not offend anyone from C'ville, because it is a great little city & reminds me of my hometown in TN, but they are just a little behind the times on some things. Please no one flame me for this...only my opinion from what I have observed on numerous visits. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:42 PM

102 posts, read 382,331 times
Hmmm! Not diverse.... Cartersville is about about 20% African American and over 10% Hispanic with an increasing number of "other" races in the city. Going to the Cartersville Wal-mart and seeing all kinds of races and cultures is nothing. I've seen women who still covered there faces up, renecks, business men, blacks, and mexicans all in one place. You can't say the place isn't diverse. When the 2010 census comes out the city will be close, if not already, to being half minorities and half white.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 PM

102 posts, read 382,331 times
Okay since so many people like to get on here and make uneducated statements about places like Cartersville not being diverse but at the same time will say that a place Kennesaw is. Take a look at this:

Races in Kennesaw:

White Non-Hispanic (79.0%)
Black (9.9%)
Hispanic (6.2%)
Other race (2.5%)
Two or more races (2.4%)
Asian Indian (0.7%)
American Indian (0.7%)
Korean (0.6%)

Races in Cartersville:

White Non-Hispanic (73.8%)
Black (17.0%)
Hispanic (7.3%)
Other race (3.8%)
Two or more races (1.5%)
American Indian (0.6%)

These numbers are from 2000 and the number of minorities in Cartersville has gone up a lot so people please stop with all of these uneducated "facts" about Cartersville and how it is so conservative and full of nothing but white people who don't like anybody but other white people!

Now if you want to say it isn't diverse when compared to Marietta or parts of Gwinnett then fine but I've seen so many on here say that Cartersville wasn't compared to Kennesaw!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
I hear people talk about "racism" like that is the lowest of all "crimes". What about all the drugs, prostitution, gangbangers that are well known and prevalent in Dekalb, Gwinnett and God forbid you move to Fulton Co. Watch the news and you'll see how much crime is in these counties. Oh and I experienced racism galore in Dekalb. Hey, Cartersville is a nice place to rear your kids. They are going to be picked on and harrassed no matter where you are. You dont think that if they were in an urban school close to Atl that their wouldnt be problems? I grew up in Gary, Indiana amd I will tell you the whites in the mountain areas of north Ga are polite, nice and like their neighborhoods clean and quiet. Do that, and your golden. Be obnoxious, loud, disrupting and yes you will feel uncomfortable. Its not about color, it is culture. I miss eating a Chicago style pizza and a Portillo's hot dog. What suburb are you from?

Oh by the way, AA from Chicago are different from AA in Atlanta.
You are absolutely right.Cartersville is BUSH country!!Cartersville is not a bad place but its not like people who choose raise their kids in Dekalb,Fulton,Gwinnett are worse off either.Those places as you mentioned ,has there problems like many places that have large populations.The fact that you get most of your facts from the news as the whole truth is probably the type of people she wants to avoid.You are right racism is not the problem only concern,but when you put a kid in an environment of intolerance and hatred and it is the NORM for the average person to accept it in that community,then is that an acceptable trade off?I believe Matthew Shephard lived in a quiet small town with good schools and low crime.At least in the places where there is noted crime you can steer clear for the most part,but when racism and intolerance is a part of the de facto part of the community,there is no way to fight that because people are comfortable with being ignorant,intolerant and mostly hypocritical.I Have seen more hate come out of people with "so called down home christian values" be the most hateful sinful people professing to be more moral than those in the "sodom and gommorah of large gangbangin,prostitution and drug using in Dekalb,Fulton, or Gwinnett.It is an insult to be people who raise well adjusted,knowledgeable,worldly kids in nice schools and nice neighborhoods.To use blanket statements show the type of narrow mindedness that comes with mainly living in a town like Cartersville.Cartersville is the type of place that if you step out the box of what everyone is doing you will get ostracized.To answer her question though,i would recommend Gwinnett County,Marietta,Cobb County,Fairburn in South Fulton.Fayette County.Those places are cl in the burbs but no big racial problems and home prices are somewhat reasonable.There is less rampant ultra christian conservatism.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:14 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veragemini View Post
Ummmm how can I put this...it is a beautiful area around there, however some of the people up there are not with the times as far as how they treat others of diversity. Now I know this is not true of everyone & I am not trying to say something negative, but you may want to visit first or at least come up with alternatives to Cartersville if at all possible. My best friend is from there & it is not a very diverse area from what I can tell. It is only 20 minutes up 1-75 from where I live, but there is a big difference. I am trying to be delicate as to not offend anyone from C'ville, because it is a great little city & reminds me of my hometown in TN, but they are just a little behind the times on some things. Please no one flame me for this...only my opinion from what I have observed on numerous visits. :-)
I agree totally with you.Those are my experiences with C'ville as well.Nice enough to visit,but to live..noway.In a few years yes it will be better,but now,no!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,620 times
The job market in NWGA is awesome. We have Toyo Tires (I work there) Pirelli Tires, Suzuki, Honda, F&P, (all Japanese) and many other large industrial manufacturers. And like another poster said, the houses are going up, create construction jobs, which support resturants and so on!!

I live outside of Rome (20 min away) and love it. More Law Enforcement per capita than any other city in GA (last time I checked) which is great if you plan on obeying the law. We have 2 Wally Supercenters, Sams Club and several McD's, Arby's (each end of town).

Silver Creek (exact address) is 10 min from Rome, 10 min from Rockmart, 25 min from Cartersville, 25 min from Calhoun, 1 hour from Chattanooga, and 10 min from Alabama! Plenty of Mountians and Rivers, Minor league Braves, (Family of 4 for under $55, including food) I moved here from OK, and would not go back.....willingly!

Last edited by Ga Cowboy; 11-26-2008 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Add more

Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 AM

421 posts, read 1,726,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veragemini View Post
Just because a city is not diverse does not mean that the residents are backwards rural racial hicks.

I lived in Cartersville for a few year and I loved the area. At the time we moved I had a choice between Rome, where I worked and Cartersville. I chose Cartersville because there was a Target and a Publlix.

Catersville was at the time 8% black, I hardly ever felt out of place or ostracized because I was of a minority race. Racist people live everywhere, even in thriving urban cities.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,379 times
i'm from cartersville. i'm white, and my neice is half black, half white. i don't go to church. i've never seen meth in my life. cartersville isn't half as racist as you think...maybe cassville is, but that's a horse of a different color now isn't it? there's never any violent crimes. i think i remember hearing of two in my entire life. BARTOW is the meth capitol...not CARTERSVILLE...try cassville, emerson, euharlee, or white if you're looking for meth. you'll be fine in cartersville...just don't go too far up mission or too far down tennessee street

Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,745 times
I live here in Cartersville, Georgia and schools with trailers depend on what area you live in. The schools are average, but not very competive. I would have to agree with the nurse, while I lived in Chicago I never heard of meth, when I moved to Cartersville, that was basically the only thing I heard about on the news. Meth labs are a common thing down here no matter what part you reside in. I have been living here for 13yrs now and have seen my share of racism mostly with in the police department, but overall the people are friendly. To me it is just like Chicago, you get a different view point depending on the area you live in. Racism is prevalent no matter where you live in the United States. Your children's future depends on what happens at the home front, outside elements are only a small part of it.

Last edited by apples365; 09-16-2010 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 PM

95 posts, read 290,936 times
cartersville is a great area.You wont regret moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia