Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 PM

118 posts, read 299,260 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to live somewhere near Alpharetta, preferably to the east or north of it. I like the country life, so i don't want to be in atlanta, way too city for me. I like the lakes, trails etc. But i do want access to some activity, local bars etc. What are some good options?

Im single mid 20s, looking to rent in a nice apartment complex.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
alpharetta - Google Maps

Cherokee County might be a good choice--Lake Allatoona, Cartersville, Canton, Holly Springs--NW of Alpharetta.

I don't know about the night life--I'm certain there are a number of restaurants and shopping areas.

In the NE you have Lake Lanier/Forsyth County. Cumming is fairly well-developed and about 10 miles north of that lies Flowery Branch and Braselton--some semblance of rural living in these areas.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
alpharetta - Google Maps

Cherokee County might be a good choice--Lake Allatoona, Cartersville, Canton, Holly Springs--NW of Alpharetta.

I don't know about the night life--I'm certain there are a number of restaurants and shopping areas.

In the NE you have Lake Lanier/Forsyth County. Cumming is fairly well-developed and about 10 miles north of that lies Flowery Branch and Braselton--some semblance of rural living in these areas.
The man said that he liked COUNTRY life. In the area of Cherokee County you mentioned, they are not "Country". Furthermore, Cartersville is not in the "Country".

If you're going to mention rural areas of Cherokee County, then at least mention areas where the man will get what he wants. Ballground and north Cherokee are rural, as is western Cherokee along Highway 20 (west and north of Lake Alatoona). The area of White in eastern Bartow County is also rural. Both of these communities have easy access to Canton or Cartersville.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The man said that he liked COUNTRY life. In the area of Cherokee County you mentioned, they are not "Country". Furthermore, Cartersville is not in the "Country".

If you're going to mention rural areas of Cherokee County, then at least mention areas where the man will get what he wants. Ballground and north Cherokee are rural, as is western Cherokee along Highway 20 (west and north of Lake Alatoona). The area of White in eastern Bartow County is also rural. Both of these communities have easy access to Canton or Cartersville.
The OP can take or leave my suggestion.

<I am looking to live somewhere near Alpharetta, preferably to the east or north of it. I like the country life, so i don't want to be in atlanta, way too city for me. I like the lakes, trails etc. But i do want access to some activity, local bars etc. What are some good options?

Im single mid 20s, looking to rent in a nice apartment complex.>

I inferred that his/her idea of 'Country' was a somewhat less developed area---if he wants to rent in a nice apartment complex --access to some activity, local bars, etc. 'North of Alpharetta'---

I also consider the area around Buford/Sugar Hill to Dawsonville to be 'country'--there are parts that aren't overly developed.

In the eye of the beholder?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 AM

thanks, well im looking preferably Northeast... buford, sugar hill, cumming etc.... just wasn't sure which places would be best. Im trying to narrow it down a bit.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
thanks, well im looking preferably Northeast... buford, sugar hill, cumming etc.... just wasn't sure which places would be best. Im trying to narrow it down a bit.
Flowery Branch is somewhat removed from 'the city'--yet close to civilization.

http://www.flowerybranchga.org/

Old 02-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
The OP can take or leave my suggestion.

<I am looking to live somewhere near Alpharetta, preferably to the east or north of it. I like the country life, so i don't want to be in atlanta, way too city for me. I like the lakes, trails etc. But i do want access to some activity, local bars etc. What are some good options?

Im single mid 20s, looking to rent in a nice apartment complex.>

I inferred that his/her idea of 'Country' was a somewhat less developed area---if he wants to rent in a nice apartment complex --access to some activity, local bars, etc. 'North of Alpharetta'---

I also consider the area around Buford/Sugar Hill to Dawsonville to be 'country'--there are parts that aren't overly developed.

In the eye of the beholder?
So Buford, with its massive mall and strip development is "country"? Sugar Hill, with its subdivisions and shopping centers is "country", when it's squeezed between Cumming and Buford along a mostly built-up Highway 20.

This makes no sense.

Dawsonville is rural, but Buford and Sugar Hill are not.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
So Buford, with its massive mall and strip development is "country"? Sugar Hill, with its subdivisions and shopping centers is "country", when it's squeezed between Cumming and Buford along a mostly built-up Highway 20.

This makes no sense.

Dawsonville is rural, but Buford and Sugar Hill are not.
You are obviously more familiar with the area than I. Occasionally I drive through the area--accustomed as I am to the overly developed NE Atlanta area--it looks more 'open' to me.

Somewhere between Cumming, Buford and Dawsonville might work for the OP.
I think Dawson county would have much less night life than Cumming. The OP would have to make some choices.

My cousin, who also prefers 'the country'--has managed to find some semblance of this somewhere around Duluth. I wouldn't be able to tell you where---but he is adamant about wanting to live away from a city.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
You are obviously more familiar with the area than I. Occasionally I drive through the area--accustomed as I am to the overly developed NE Atlanta area--it looks more 'open' to me.

Somewhere between Cumming, Buford and Dawsonville might work for the OP.
I think Dawson county would have much less night life than Cumming. The OP would have to make some choices.

My cousin, who also prefers 'the country'--has managed to find some semblance of this somewhere around Duluth. I wouldn't be able to tell you where---but he is adamant about wanting to live away from a city.
Northern Forsyth County is exurban in nature, and is within close proximity to Cumming.

Buford and Sugar Hill aren't as densely populated as a place such as Duluth, but they're still suburban in nature. The same for the places in Cherokee County that were previously mentioned.

Given that the original poster wants a place that has access to certain establishments, but still something "country", an exurban area would best fit...not completely suburban, not rural, though. In this regard, areas along Highway 20 in east Cherokee and West Forsyth, or areas of North Cherokee, North Forsyth, Braselton, parts of Hall or Jackson Counties might fit the original posters desires.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM

well im saying country compared to Atlanta i guess.... doesnt mean there is no civilization there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia