U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 AM
 
3 posts, read 36,045 times
Reputation: 16
Default Lowest Property Taxes in GA??

Does anyone know which cities/counties in GA have the lowest property taxes? Or can someone point me in the direction I need to go to find out the answer?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 13,990,378 times
Reputation: 2730
Quote:
Originally Posted by qed11248 View Post
Does anyone know which cities/counties in GA have the lowest property taxes? Or can someone point me in the direction I need to go to find out the answer?
This site may help:

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/ptd/adm/taxguide/gen/rate.aspx
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
8,050 posts, read 5,862,906 times
Reputation: 4980
The lowest property taxes in Georgia are going to be found in those counties with the most under-funded (i.e. WORST) public schools, since 80 percent of all property tax goes to fund education in this state. The highest taxes are going to be where schools are funded to the maximum allowed by law, which is 20 mils. In Georgia, you get what you pay for as far as good schools go in the metro Atlanta area. The more rural areas are going to have lower taxes, but the schools often leave much to be desired. This can have a direct effect on overall property values in these areas, and in some cases large landowners (re: white land barons) actually work to keep the public schools undesirable to outsiders, in order to keep land values down and taxes low. Meriwether County (midway between Atlanta and Colmbus) is a good example of where this has gone on for generations.

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-28-2011 at 05:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM
 
36 posts, read 69,900 times
Reputation: 22
why do you ask????
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Status: "Give an idiot a keyboard and there's no hiding the fact." (set 6 days ago)
 
2,631 posts, read 1,040,179 times
Reputation: 944
There is not a real simple answer. Here is why. County A might have a total mill rate, including schools of 28.372. While County B may have a mill rate of say 27.423. County B has lower property taxes, right? Nope. If property is appraised, valued, at more in County B, then say comparable property in County A, then County B's real, (what is paid), property taxes cound actually wind up being higher.

The counties have budgets to fund and by hook or by crook they will fund them. So, millage rates are important, as are the valuations. What I really want to understand is how well does the county commission, or commissioner, manage their expenses.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 AM
 
226 posts, read 162,067 times
Reputation: 482
Actually, this is the best tool. You can select each individual county to look at. Atkinson county, Median Real Estate Taxes Paid $273

Property Tax Lookup Tool
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Dacula, GA
152 posts, read 286,103 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The lowest property taxes in Georgia are going to be found in those counties with the most under-funded (i.e. WORST) public schools, since 80 percent of all property tax goes to fund education in this state. The highest taxes are going to be where schools are funded to the maximum allowed by law, which is 20 mils. In Georgia, you get what you pay for as far as good schools go in the metro Atlanta area. The more rural areas are going to have lower taxes, but the schools often leave much to be desired. This can have a direct effect on overall property values in these areas, and in some cases large landowners (re: white land barons) actually work to keep the public schools undesirable to outsiders, in order to keep land values down and taxes low. Meriwether County (midway between Atlanta and Colmbus) is a good example of where this has gone on for generations.
I believe Forsyth county has some of the lowest taxes in the ATL metro area and they have an excellent school system (obviously some schools in the system are better than others). Gwinnett's taxes are higher than Forsyth's but still pretty good and the school system here is good.

Contrast that with Atlanta/ Fulton county with very high taxes and many failing schools.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,652 posts, read 9,579,327 times
Reputation: 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
I believe Forsyth county has some of the lowest taxes in the ATL metro area and they have an excellent school system (obviously some schools in the system are better than others). Gwinnett's taxes are higher than Forsyth's but still pretty good and the school system here is good.

Contrast that with Atlanta/ Fulton county with very high taxes and many failing schools.
Good points. The fallacy that higher expenditures per pupil AUTOMATICALLY equates to a better education for students is exactly that, a fallacy.

More likely the counties with more poverty and less parental involvement also correlate to the counties with poorest achievement in their schools systems. When your parents never finished high school, you are much more likely to dropout and not devote the effort to school. Family income and achievement in schools has a direct relationship.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 AM
 
3 posts, read 36,045 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks for the info everyone. A friend & I have been trying to decide where in GA would essentially be the cheapest place to buy a good house i.e. lowest property taxes etc. There was a problem with my computer so I hadn't been able to check the responses but I appreciate the breakdown and input. Very helpful. Much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM
912
 
1,328 posts, read 1,297,781 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The lowest property taxes in Georgia are going to be found in those counties with the most under-funded (i.e. WORST) public schools...

Not true. Chatham County has high tax rates & some of the worst public schools in GA, if not the nation. There is a reason more kids go to private school here, per capita, than any other place in the nation! Taxes in nearby Bryan County are lower, but their schools are top notch! Why is that?

It's because money (and high tax rates) do not effectively teach children. Dedicated teachers....and even more dedicated parents do!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top