U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
bfa

80 posts, read 324,746 times
Born and raised in Valdosta, moved to Tampa, FL 3 years ago. Aside from the Valdosta job market (or lack of), I miss the area terribly. I miss having family around (none here) and I miss the slow, sleepy town. And you can get so much more house for the money!

Ideally, if I could make good money, Valdosta would be great! I could make it to good beaches in 2 hours, Orlando in 3 hours, Atlanta in 3.5 hours, etc.

I guess you can't have it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,911 times
i am from a town ca lled jaspr just south of valdosta, ga and just north of lake city, fl both north central florida and south central ga have a hometown effect the people are generaly friendly and dont bother you but if all you see is nothing when you come up i-75 you should stop in some of the smaller towns and see what they have around you might be suprised at what you find to do around there for example just north and west of lake city is live oak and they have the spirt of the suwanne music park several times a year there are big concerts and things to do with your family and south and west of valdosta is a rather large theam park called willed adventures before you say there is nothing around why dont you stop at the truck stop and ask the waitress what is around i found in my traveles that a waittress useally knows more than a travel agent

Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 PM

1,887 posts, read 4,802,076 times
it just depends on what you're accustomed to. i grew up in the valdosta area and that's what i know and like. i'm always in awe when i drive through atlanta and see the tall buildings, massive interchanges, etc. . ., but I could never live there. There are some beautiful areas in and around atlanta, and there are some gruesome areas as well. someone mentioned fear of getting carjacked or shot in south georgia; well i get the same feeling when driving through atlanta. i stayed a few days up there awhile back for a continuing ed. class and accidentally drove into the MLK corridor. I ran multiple stop signs just to get out; I was honestly worried one of the 30 or so people standing on the corner were going to shoot out my windows. I'm sure they wouldn't have, but you know the feeling. the majority of the people seem rude to me. i don't think they mean to be, i think its just their style. when I was @ valdosta state, my major required me to transfer to tech after 2 years. i couldn't do it, and just changed my mind about that particular profession. if i'm in atlanta with someone from atlanta, its not so stressful; but on my own, i can't handle it more than two days.

south georgia is a beautiful place. there's a lot more to it than what you see driving down the interstate. if you can't live without big city amenities on a daily basis, this may not be the place for you. i have several customers in valdosta who moved here from atlanta and say they'd never go back after living here. they list various reasons, but most of them have to do with travel times to work and the slower pace of life, less crime, etc. . .

crime makes headlines in south georgia because its really the only thing to report on except for the fish and game forcast. we're not as accustomed to a murder in south georgia as those of you in the north may be. in 2006 valdosta had 2 murders; within the city limits of atlanta were 110. in valdosta, that's 4.3 per 100k; in atlanta, 25.9 per 100k. we had 97 robberies vs. 3577 in atlanta. now tell me again why you're worried about crime down here?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,664 times
Disabled grandparents with 9yr old granson relocating to Americus GA. What's it like?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pawpaw10 View Post
Disabled grandparents with 9yr old granson relocating to Americus GA. What's it like?
slow pace, agricultural based economy. not too far from albany, ga. majority black population.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:02 PM

925 posts, read 1,501,849 times
For those of you who are confused about the North, Middle/Central, and South divisions of the state of Georgia, here's a map that I have prepared for you.NORTHERN GEORGIA or SOUTHERN GEORGIA-georgia-regions.jpg

Old 06-23-2009, 12:27 PM

722 posts, read 2,166,614 times
I'm sick of people always complaining about Atlanta crime, as if it's some sort of fiery hell pit. I love Atlanta, and maybe that's because I live in Newnan and have grown up very connected to the city, going there a lot, but when I'm there I don't see crime or panhandlers or rude people, I see a city that is the crown jewel of the south, that's incredibly cutting edge, and is changing every day. South Georgia can be charming but give me the "crime" of Atlanta and its suburbs any day.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
South Georgia can be charming but give me the "crime" of Atlanta and its suburbs any day.
Its all yours, chief.

It must be difficult getting through the city with your eyes closed.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 PM

722 posts, read 2,166,614 times
the city certainly still has crime and other issues but it has improved with gentrification

Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
the city certainly still has crime and other issues but it has improved with gentrification
Its not my intention to imply the city is full of crime and panhandlers, but to say you don't see it is certainly incongruous with actuality.

I would think the areas of highest crime have yet to be gentrified, and dare say may never be in our lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia